- J.D., Franklin Pierce Law Center, 2010
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, Columbia University, 2002
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of California, Davis, 2001
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Mandarin Chinese
Alex Chan is an associate in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's San Francisco and Palo Alto offices. His practice focuses on intellectual property litigation, with an emphasis in patent litigation. Mr. Chan represented plaintiffs and defendants in patent cases spanning a wide range of technologies, including semiconductor devices, medical devices, data and network encryption, optical devices, and software.
Mr. Chan’s patent litigation experiences cover all major aspects of litigation, including pre-filing investigations, all phases of fact and expert discovery, claim construction, summary judgment, trial preparation, trial, and post-trial proceedings. His experience includes taking and defending depositions and managing the day-to-day operations of major patent litigations.
Mr. Chan also has significant patent prosecution experience, handling domestic and foreign patent applications at all stages of prosecution, in addition to post-issuance matters, such as inter-parte and ex-parte re-examination. He has additional experience as a patent examiner with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Representative Patent Litigation Experience
- LendingTree, Inc. v. Zillow, Inc.: Represents LendingTree in a patent lawsuit in the Western District of North Carolina relating to loan applications and lender matching technology (3:10-cv-439-FDW-DCK).
- Trinity Technical Group, Inc. v. Siemens Industry, Inc.: Represents Siemens in a multi-patent infringement and state law claims lawsuit in the Northern District of Texas relating to mail processing, tracking, and sorting technology.
- NovelPoint Tracking LLC v. TCT Mobile, Inc.: Represents TCT Mobile in a patent lawsuit in the Eastern District of Texas relating to automatic vehicle location, collision notification, and synthetic voice communication (2:13-cv-53).
- Chia Yi Chin v. Wal-Mart, Inc.: Represent Wal-Mart Stores in a patent lawsuit in the Southern District of New York relating to foldable mechanism in furniture.
- LBS Innovations, LLC v. BP America Inc.: Represents Wal-Mart Stores in a patent lawsuit in the Eastern District of Texas involving store-finder functions and store-locator applications (2:11-cv-00407MHS).
- Geotag, Inc. v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.: Represents Wal-Mart Stores in a patent lawsuit in the Eastern District of Texas relating to geo-location technology (2:11-cv-00175MHS).
- RPost Ltd. v. Zix Corp. (E.D. Tex.): Represented Zix in a multi-defendant patent infringement action involving electronic mail delivery technology.
- Zix Corp. v. Echoworx Corp. (N.D. Tex.): Represented Zix in a multi-patent infringement suit relating to mail encryption technology.
- St. Jude Medical v. Volcano Corp. (Dela.): Represented Volcano in a multi-patent infringement suit relating to cardiac catheter devices and pressure sensing technology.
- Cypress Semiconductor Corp. v. GSI, Inc. (Minn.): Represented Cypress in a multi-patent infringement action before the International Trade Commission and in the District of Minnesota involving semiconductor memory technology.
- Integrated Device Tech., Inc. v. Phison Corp. (N.D. Cal): Represented the Defendant in a patent infringement suit relating to flash memory and clock recovery technology. The complaint was voluntarily withdrawn against the client.
- Hubbell, Inc. v. The Watt Stopper, Inc. (W.D. Tex): Represented The Watt Stopper in a multi-patent infringement suit concerning occupancy sensing technology. The parties successfully reached a settlement.
Patent Preparation, Prosecution and Transaction Experience
- Mr. Chan prepared and prosecuted numerous domestic and foreign patent applications for a spectrum of clients including Apple, Google, Marvell Semiconductor, Volterra Semiconductor, Zix Corporation, Autodesk, RingCentral, Harmonic, Coupons, Massachusetts General Hospital, Bingham Women’s Hospital, and Palo Alto Networks.
- Mr. Chan represented clients in inter partes and ex parte reexaminations of issued U.S. patents.
- Mr. Chan also provided various opinions and counseling relating to patent infringement and validity issues in the context of litigation and licensing.
- Sole inventor of U.S. Patent Nos. 8,326,693 and 8,458,045 (Conversion Application Implemented in Network Database to Facilitate Currency Conversion).