Alison N. KleaverTEL: 213.617.5512
333 South Hope Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071
Alison N. KleaverPrint PDF
Alison Kleaver is an associate in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's Los Angeles office and a member of the firm's Latin America Practice.
Areas of Practice
Ms. Kleaver specializes in business litigation. She represents clients in a variety of business disputes and against claims of fraud, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duties, unfair business practices, negligence, nuisance, and trespass. Ms. Kleaver has also developed a specialty in complex environmental and products liability litigation. Ms. Kleaver’s clients include manufacturers and refiners of industrial chemicals and gasoline, insurance companies and brokers, financial institutions, and luxury day spas.
Her experience includes all aspects of pre-trial practices, dispositive motions, and briefing before the California Courts of Appeal, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the California Supreme Court.
Ms. Kleaver is Co-Chair of Sheppard Mullin’s Women Lawyers Group for the Los Angeles office. Additionally, Ms. Kleaver is a member of Sheppard Mullin’s Recruiting Committee and Associates Forum. Each summer, Ms. Kleaver also serves as an instructor for Sheppard Mullin’s Trial Advocacy Program (TAP) for summer associates.
Outside the firm, Ms. Kleaver has been an Adjunct Associate Professor of Law at Southwestern Law School and volunteers her time with the Young Leaders Program at Loyola Law School, teaching high school students trial advocacy skills.
- J.D., Southwestern University School of Law, 2007, Editor-in-Chief, Southwestern University Law Review, 2006-2007; Writer, Moot Court Honors Program, 2005-2006; Co-Chair, Public Interest Law Committee, 2005-2006; Co-Founder, Southwestern Emergency Legal Clinic, 2005
- A.B., Washington University in St. Louis, 2004, magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
In 2011-2012, Ms. Kleaver was a member of the trial team representing Exxon Mobil Corporation in City of Merced v. Chevron U.S.A. Inc., et al., a 4 ½ month products liability jury trial in Merced County Superior Court. As a result of her efforts, Exxon Mobil obtained dismissal on directed verdict of punitive damages and millions of dollars in claimed compensatory damages, followed by a favorable jury verdict.
In 2011, Ms. Kleaver obtained judgment on behalf of Cushman & Wakefield of California, Inc. in a breach of contract dispute. In entering judgment, the Court granted Cushman & Wakefield complete relief, including all of its requested damages as well as attorney’s fees.
Ms. Kleaver represented State Compensation Insurance Fund ("State Fund") in the matter Cumbre, Inc. et al. v. State Compensation Insurance Fund, in which several insurance brokers alleged that State Fund improperly terminated their broker relationship due to the broker's unprofitability. The brokers asserted a variety of novel legal theories including unfair business practices and violation of the duty of fair procedure. With Ms. Kleaver's assistance, State Fund prevailed at trial.
Ms. Kleaver has represented financial institutions in several state and federal court actions concerning mechanic's liens and stop notices filed against the institutions as lenders on large-scale commercial and residential real estate developments.
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Member, Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
- Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Member, Los Angeles Alumni Chapter of Alpha Phi International Fraternity
- Member, Alumni Interview Program, Southwestern Law School
- "Mexico To Vote On Historic Amendment To Open Oil Industry To Private Investment," Latin American Law Blog, December 10, 2013
- "Understanding United States Products Liability and Environmental Laws: An Introduction for Latin American Businesses," by Olivier F. Theard, Polly Towill & Alison N. Kleaver, U.S./Mexico Bar Association, November 2012
- "Meaning Of FCPA's "Foreign Official" Causes Uncertainty For Companies Doing Business Abroad," Latin American Law Blog, May 24, 2012
- Panelist, "Women & the Law: Work-Life Balance," October 22, 2012, Southwestern Law School
- Panelist, "Women & the Law: Work-Life Balance," October 24, 2011, Southwestern Law School
- Panelist, "Women & the Law: Work-Life Balance," February 8, 2010, Southwestern Law School
- Panelist, "Women & the Law: Work-Life Balance," February 2, 2009, Southwestern Law School