- J.D., Southwestern University School of Law, 2007, Editor-in-Chief, Southwestern University Law Review, 2006-2007; Writer, Moot Court Honors Program, 2005-2006; Co-Chair, Public Interest Law Committee, 2005-2006; Co-Founder, Southwestern Emergency Legal Clinic, 2005
- A.B., Washington University in St. Louis, 2004, magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
Alison Kleaver is an associate in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's Los Angeles office and a member of the firm's Latin America Practice.
Areas of Practice
Ms. Kleaver specializes in business litigation. She represents clients in a variety of business disputes and against claims of fraud, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duties, unfair business practices, negligence, nuisance, and trespass. Her experience includes all aspects of pre-trial practices, dispositive motions, and briefing before the California Courts of Appeal, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the California Supreme Court.
Ms. Kleaver also specializes in assisting clients with a variety of environmental matters. Ms. Kleaver’s expertise include regulatory and permitting matters, advice and compliance with state and federal air quality and hazardous waste laws, and preparing administrative petitions and representing clients in hearings and proceedings before the South Coast Air Quality Management District and the California Department of Toxic Substances Control. Ms. Kleaver has also developed a specialty in complex environmental and products liability litigation.
Ms. Kleaver is Co-Chair of Sheppard Mullin’s Women Lawyers Group for the Los Angeles office. Additionally, Ms. Kleaver is a member of Sheppard Mullin’s Recruiting Committee and Technology Committee.
Outside the firm, Ms. Kleaver is an Associates Committee Representative for the United States Law Firm Group, Environmental Section. Ms. Kleaver has also been an Adjunct Associate Professor of Law at Southwestern Law School and volunteers her time with the Young Lawyers Program at Loyola Law School, teaching high school students trial advocacy skills.
- Southern California Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2014, 2015
In 2013, Ms. Kleaver obtained a TRO and preliminary injunction against the California Department of Toxic Substances Control, enjoining the agency’s order shutting down Exide Technologies’ lead recycling facility in Vernon, California. Ms. Kleaver was a key member of Exide’s trial team in a related administrative trial against the California Department of Toxic Substances Control.
In 2011-2012, Ms. Kleaver was a member of the trial team representing Exxon Mobil Corporation in City of Merced v. Chevron U.S.A. Inc., et al., a 4 ½ month products liability jury trial in Merced County Superior Court. As a result of her efforts, Exxon Mobil obtained dismissal on directed verdict of punitive damages and millions of dollars in claimed compensatory damages, followed by a favorable jury verdict.
In 2011, Ms. Kleaver obtained judgment on behalf of Cushman & Wakefield of California, Inc. in a breach of contract dispute. In entering judgment, the Court granted Cushman & Wakefield complete relief, including all of its requested damages as well as attorney’s fees.
In 2009, Ms. Kleaver represented State Compensation Insurance Fund ("State Fund") in the matter Cumbre, Inc. et al. v. State Compensation Insurance Fund, in which several insurance brokers alleged that State Fund improperly terminated their broker relationship due to the broker's unprofitability. The brokers asserted a variety of novel legal theories including unfair business practices and violation of the duty of fair procedure. With Ms. Kleaver's assistance, State Fund prevailed at trial.
- Contributor, "Environmental Litigation and Toxic Torts Committee’s October Newsletter," American Bar Association, October 2015
- "5 Things You Need To Know Now About Mexico’s Energy Reforms," Latin American Law Blog, April 24, 2014
- "Mexico To Vote On Historic Amendment To Open Oil Industry To Private Investment," Latin American Law Blog, December 10, 2013
- "Understanding United States Products Liability and Environmental Laws: An Introduction for Latin American Businesses," by Olivier F. Theard, Polly Towill & Alison N. Kleaver, U.S./Mexico Bar Association, November 2012
- "Meaning Of FCPA's "Foreign Official" Causes Uncertainty For Companies Doing Business Abroad," Latin American Law Blog, May 24, 2012
- Panelist, "Women & the Law: Work-Life Balance," October 27, 2014, Southwestern Law School
- Panelist, "Women & the Law: Work-Life Balance," October 28, 2013, Southwestern Law School
- Panelist, "Women & the Law: Work-Life Balance," October 22, 2012, Southwestern Law School
- Panelist, "Women & the Law: Work-Life Balance," October 24, 2011, Southwestern Law School
- Panelist, "Women & the Law: Work-Life Balance," February 8, 2010, Southwestern Law School
- Panelist, "Women & the Law: Work-Life Balance," February 2, 2009, Southwestern Law School
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Member, Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
- Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Member, Los Angeles Alumni Chapter of Alpha Phi International Fraternity
- Member, Alumni Interview Program, Southwestern Law School