- Entertainment, Technology, and Advertising
- Intellectual Property
- Privacy and Data Security
- Technology Transactions
- J.D. University of California, Davis, Law Review
- B.A. University of California, Davis, with honors
- Law clerk in the Summer Honors Program at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
Brian Anderson is a partner in the Intellectual Property Group in Sheppard Mullin's San Francisco and Palo Alto offices. He is Practice Leader of the firm's Technology Transactions Practice and Privacy & Data Security Practice.
Areas of Practice
Highly ranked by Legal 500 in the area of Media, Technology and Telecoms, Mr. Anderson advises on intellectual property, technology, advertising, and privacy law, including corporate transactions, licensing arrangements, outsourcing projects, distribution deals, and strategic agreements. He has particular expertise in cross-border matters (mostly in Europe).
Mr. Anderson represents clients in a range of industries, including computer software, technology services, retail, fashion, robotics, internet, mobile, food and beverage, media and entertainment, gaming, real estate, and financial services.
He also represents global brands, retailers, and ad agencies on privacy and data protection; e-commerce; advertising, social media, cause marketing, e-mail marketing, mobile marketing, sweepstakes and contests; gift card, prepaid access, and loyalty programs; virtual goods and currency; mobile payments; and all forms of IT and commercial contracts.
- Media, Technology and Telecoms, Legal 500, 2014
- 11th Circuit Reverses Summary Judgment Grant in TCPA Suit Against Medical Debt Collector, Cyberspace Law e-Bulletin, (January 2015)
- Online student privacy bill prompts debate, Daily Journal (March 2014)
- Dealing in Data: Business and Legal Considerations Respecting Data Transactions, Business Law News, the official publication of the Business Law Section of the California State Bar, Issue 4 (2012)
- The Law of Online Contracts, Media Law Resource Center Bulletin "The Ins and Outs of Online Business" (March 2011)
- FTC Behavioral Advertising Privacy Principles Extend Far Beyond Current Requirements, Media Law Resource Center Bulletin "Digital Media & Comments on Frontiers in Internet Law" (May 2008)
- adbriefs, Fall 2005 - present
- Daily Journal, January 23, 2014
- The Mobile Natives: Reaching Young Consumers, Mobile Media Summit San Francisco: Apps and Ads (2015)
- An Invisible Enemy: Cyber Risks and Security, USC Corporate Governance Summit (2014)
- Privacy vs. Relevancy: How to Get Both, Mobile Media Summit San Francisco: Apps and Ads (2014)
- Privacy and Data Security Considerations for Consumer Internet Companies in Both Site Operation and Commercial Deals, SVForum (2012)
- Legal Issues with Advertising/Marketing Using Social Media, ACCA-SoCal In-House Counsel Conference (2012)
- Legal and Business Considerations of Mobile Social Media and Mobile Marketing, Social Media Legal Risks and Strategies Summit (2011)
- Legal Issues with Advertising/Marketing Using Social Media, ACCA-SoCal In-House Counsel Conference (2011)
- The Business and Legal Considerations of Cloud Computing, Law.com Panel (2010)
- Kellogg Auditorium at Silicon Valley Bank, January 30, 2013
- Sheppard Mullin Palo Alto Office, October 4, 2012
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Member, The Licensing Executives Society (LES)
- Appointed Member, Cyberspace Committee of the Business Law Section of the State Bar of California