- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, 2003, Order of the Coif
- B.A., University of California at Berkeley, 2000, High Honors
- Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Thomas J. Whelan, U.S. District Judge for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
Mr. Marum is a Partner in the Finance and Bankruptcy and Business Trial Practice Groups in the firm's San Diego and Del Mar Offices.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Marum practices in the areas of bankruptcy law and commercial litigation. He has experience representing parties involved in complex insolvency proceedings, including representing creditors and other parties in pre-bankruptcy litigation, workout negotiations and bankruptcy proceedings. Mr. Marum also has a wide variety of experience representing plaintiffs, defendants and court-appointed receivers in disputes in state and federal court, including claims involving breach of contract, real property, unfair business practices, business torts, federal banking laws and regulations and borrower litigation against lenders.
- Debtors’ counsel in six administratively consolidated bankruptcy cases pending in the Southern District of California in in re Vail Lake Rancho California, LLC, Case No. 12-16684-LA11.
- Obtained confirmation on behalf of a Chapter 11 Trustee, within 175 days of the Trustee’s appointment, of a full payment and fully consensual plan in in re Ramesh and Sina Akhtarzad, Central District of California Case No. 2:11-bk-61640-RN.
- Counsel to the Official Joint Committee of Unsecured Creditors in in re Siliken Manufacturing USA, Inc. and Siliken USA, Inc., administratively consolidated into Southern District of California Case No. 13-00119-CL11
- Represented ad hoc committee of owners of eleven franchises in Pat & Oscar's bankruptcy proceedings filed in the Central District of California.
- Represented a receiver appointed by the Northern District of California over real estate in California, Arizona and Idaho worth multiple millions. Assisted the Receiver in successfully liquidating all assets of the estate.
- Represented a receiver appointed over a cable franchise in National City and Chula Vista. Obtained approval of sale of the business to lender via a credit bid.
- Represented secured creditor holding a claim in excess of $9 million in bankruptcy proceedings pending in the Central District of California.
- Obtained stay relief in a single asset real estate case for a secured creditor owed more than $15 million.
- Second chair trial counsel for a lender in a breach of guaranty action filed in Fresno Superior Court that resulted in a $7.5 million judgment for the lender.
- Represented affordable housing developer’s equity interests as a co-plan proponent in Chapter 11 proceedings pending in the Western District of Tennessee.
- Special litigation counsel and counsel to equity interest holder in San Diego bankruptcy proceedings involving the enforceability of affordable housing restrictions.
- Represented a creditor with a claim against several debtors of more than $115 million. Obtained confirmation of a Chapter 11 plan of liquidation as a co-plan proponent.
- Obtained sua sponte summary judgment for a client on fraudulent transfer claims asserted by one of a debtor’s creditors.
- Negotiated and documented workouts of multi-million dollar loans for a major lender.
- Lead attorney representing a major originator and holder of option-arm and negative amortization loans in hundreds of borrower lawsuits across the United States.
- Panelist, Distress Asset Sales, Association for Corporate Growth, June 15, 2010
- Director, San Diego Bankruptcy Forum
- Member, San Diego County Bar Association
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers, San Diego Chapter