- J.D., New York University School of Law, 1994
- Princeton Seminary, 1988-89 (M.Div. Program Candidate)
- B.A., Oral Roberts University, 1988, summa cum laude
- New York
Mr. Templeman is the Managing Partner of the New York office and a partner in the Corporate and Intellectual Property Practice Groups (IP Transactions). He serves as co-leader of the firm's Technology Transactions group, is a member of the firm's Life Sciences group and founded Out at Sheppard.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Templeman’s practice focuses on counseling U.S. and international clients in the protection, development and commercialization of their products and IP portfolios through domestic and cross-border intellectual property transactions, precision manufacturing, contract manufacturing, clinical trials, research and outsourcing. His transactional work includes mergers and acquisitions, asset sales, collaborations, licensing transactions, manufacturing and distribution arrangements and copromotions.
He assists clients in a variety of industries including (among many others) oncology, vaccines, antibiotics, biologics diabetes treatments, anti-fungals, sexual dysfunction treatments, medical devices, cosmetics, foods, supplements, and manufacturing equipment.
Mr. Templeman also works on technology transactions focusing on licensing, distribution arrangements and contract manufacturing (including OEM), as well as assets transactions, product development collaborations and joint ventures.
As part of his efforts to protect and preserve the value of his clients' companies, Mr. Templeman leads the firm’s Technology Transaction Group, which services clients’ needs with respect to confidentiality agreements, clinical trials agreements, CRO agreements, master service agreements, laboratory agreements, manufacturing agreements (including product development, API finished product and packaging agreements), research arrangements, distribution agreements and other similar agreements. He has completed research arrangements with hundreds of sites around the world. He has also worked closely with several of his clients to complete transactions in the US, EU, Russia, Israel, Lebanon, Australia, New Zealand, India, Japan, Korea, China, Taiwan, Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Mexico, Guatemala and many other countries.
Mr. Templeman is one of only a handful attorneys in the NY area that have been named a Best Lawyer in America for Biotechnology Law since its inception, and he is part of the firm's Biotechnology Law practice which is rated as Tier One in NYC and nationally by U.S. News and World Report.
- Healthcare: Life Sciences, Legal 500, 2013
- Recipient, OUTLaw Alumnus of the Year, NYU School of Law, 2013
- Selected, Alumnus of the Month, NYU School of Law, March 2013
- Best Lawyer in America, (biotechnology), Best Lawyers, 2008-2014
- Recipient, Sheppard Mullin Diversity & Inclusion Award, 2012
- Life Sciences Star, LMG Life Sciences 2012
Representative Pharmaceutical/Life Sciences Transactional Matters
- Represented a key client on the 4 transactions that closed in one week - an equity financing; an acquisition of cancer vaccine assets from a corporation; a license to cancer vaccine assets from a university; and a license to cell lines from a foundation. All of these assets will be used by the client to continue to pursue the development and commercialization of cutting edge cancer vaccines in multiple indications.
- Represented a client in an agreement for the scale up and further development of the commercial manufacturing process for a complex cell-based product.
- Represented Serum Institute of India Limited in a collaboration to develop and commercialize a pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) for use in the emerging and developing world countries. Merck and Serum will form a Product Advisory Committee to oversee the activities required to develop and seek approval for PCV and pursue World Health Organization (WHO) prequalification. Under the terms of the agreement, Merck, through an affiliate, will receive specific rights to market PCV in certain designated territories and Serum will receive specific rights in other territories.
- Represented a large UK diary in a licensing and distribution deal for new cheese product.
- Currently representing prominent international company in a development and commercialization collaboration for a new vaccine.
- Currently representing a publicly-traded biotech company in its acquisition of all of the shares of a U.S. company with a commercial product.
- Currently negotiating multiple development and manufacturing arrangements (both clinical and commercial) for the manufacture of biologics and pharmaceuticals.
- Currently representing a prominent international company in the development, manufacturing and commercialization transaction concerning carrier proteins for vaccines.
- Represented a regenerative medicine client on licensing, manufacturing and clinical studies issues.
- Currently representing a prominent international company in transactions related to the development and supply of highly-purified PSA.
- Performed IP contract diligence for a large U.S. pharma company on a product candidate that it ultimately acquired.
- Structured a transaction for the outsourcing of the clinical trials of a division of a German pharmaceutical company.
- Negotiated transactions for the licensing and development of a unique cancer vaccine.
- Represented a West-coast precision microelectromechanical systems (MEMs) manufacturer in a development and commercialization agreement for the development of human cell sorting chips and related instrumentation and disposables.
- Represented emerging growth diabetes company in connection with an exclusive license and development agreement with a precision German manufacturer.
- Represented emerging growth diabetes company in connection with an exclusive development agreement for chambered pen technology.
- Represented Novexel in connection with a U.S. licensing deal with Forest Laboratories for a beta lactamase inhibitor/antibiotic combination. Novexel was recently sold to AstraZeneca.
- Conducted for a large pharmaceutical company a strategic audit and analysis of market and collaboration risks relating to a blockbuster product coming off patent in certain jurisdictions.
- Represented a large orthopedics company in connection with supply and distribution agreements for EU countries.
- Represented Cell Therapeutics in its acquisition of Zevalin from Biogen Idec.
- Represented Palatin Technologies in connection with a research collaboration and license agreement with AstraZeneca.
- Represented Palatin Technologies in connection with its collaboration with King Pharmaceuticals for the development of an erectile and sexual dysfunction drug.
- Represented prominent international company in connection with a product distribution agreement and strategic investment in a publicly-traded U.S. company.
- Represented prominent international company in connection with a product development agreement with the World Health Organization.
- Represented prominent international company in connection with an agreement for development and supply of multiple vaccines for U.S. company.
- Represented emerging growth company in a license agreement for proprietary assay technology and live-cell imaging technology.
- Represented emerging growth diabetes company in connection with an exclusive license agreement for extended release formulation development.
- Represented a large San Francisco-based venture fund in connection with a spinout, investment, license agreements and service agreements with a specialty drug development company in ophthalmology.
- Represented U.S. pharmaceuticals company in connection with license and distribution agreements for its propriety oncology drug.
- Represented large pharma company in connection with a license and collaboration agreement for the development and commercialization of a treatment for peripheral arterial occlusion.
- Represented U.S. company in connection with the license and sale of its nerve ablation technology.
- Represented Threshold Pharmaceuticals in connection with multiple license and manufacturing arrangements.
- Represented ExonHit Therapeutics in connection with its collaboration with Allergan Sales.
- Represented OSI Pharmaceuticals in connection with their acquisitions of Eyetech, Cell Pathways, and certain oncology assets of Gilead.
- Represented Zycos (acquired by MGI Pharma) in connection with a research and development collaboration with Medarex (now BMS).
- Represented Dana Farber in connection with merger of a company in which Dana Farber was majority holder.
- The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, March 2012
- Coherent, dependable scheme is needed to protect all participants.New York Law Journal, July 26, 2010
- "Partnering: A Path to Patients...Moving Innovation Forward," BioNJ's Fourth Annual International BioPartnering Conference, New Jersey, June 17, 2013
- "Models for a Modern Chinese-U.S. Venture," Beijing Foreign Studies University, Beijing, October 16, 2012
- "Maximizing the Effectiveness of Your Clinical Contracting," New York, NY, May 2008
- "Dispute Resolution Clauses," New Jersey, September 2007
- "Getting Your Agreement Right," New York, NY, January 2006
- "Managing Risk When Contracting with Service Providers – Tips and Current Issues," New York, NY, September 19, 2005
- "Forum on Managing Legal Risks in Conducting & Promoting Clinical Trials," American Conference Institute, New York, NY, February 10-11, 2005
- "Reducing Legal Risks in Promoting & Conducting Clinical Trials," American Conference Institute, Washington, DC, February 9-10, 2004
- "Negotiating Clinical Agreements: Issues, Risks and Challenges Facing Emerging Biotech Companies," New York Biotechnology Association's 12th Annual Meeting, February 3, 2003
- Sheppard Mullin New York Office, July 10, 2012
- Sheppard Mullin, Del Mar, November 2010
- Sheppard Mullin, Silicon Valley, November 2010
- Sheppard Mullin, New York, October 2010