Dylan I. BallardTEL: 415.774.2914
Four Embarcadero Center
San Francisco, CA 94111
Dylan I. BallardPrint PDF
Dylan Ballard is an associate in the Antitrust and Trade Regulation Practice Group in the firm's San Francisco office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Ballard specializes in complex business litigation and white collar criminal matters, with an emphasis on antitrust and unfair competition issues. He has significant experience defending U.S. and multinational businesses in all phases of class action litigation, as well as in civil and criminal proceedings involving federal, state, and foreign enforcement agencies.
- J.D., University of California, Hastings, 2007, Hastings Law Journal
- B.A., University of California, Santa Barbara, 2003, with highest honors
- Extern for the Honorable Maxine M. Chesney, District Judge, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, 2005
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Central, and Southern Districts of California
National counsel defending industry-leading multinational electronics companies in criminal and civil price-fixing actions regarding cathode ray tube products; In re Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 1917 (2007-present).
Representing international electronics companies in criminal and civil price-fixing actions concerning thin film transistor liquid crystal display products; In re TFT-LCD (Flat Panel) Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 1827 (2007-present).
Defending international electronics company against group boycott and monopsonization claims relating to smartphone patent licensing; Cascades v. RPX Corp., N.D. Cal. 4:12-v-1143 YGR (2012-present).
Representing leading manufacturer in price-fixing actions concerning lithium ion rechargeable batteries; In re Lithium ion Batteries Antitrust Litigation, MDL No. 2420 (2012-present).
Defended Samsung Electronics companies in civil price-fixing class actions and related U.S. DOJ and foreign enforcement agency proceedings regarding static random access memory chip products; In re SRAM Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 1819 (2007-2011).
Antitrust counsel for Samsung Electronics defending IP-related antitrust claims in multi-billion dollar litigation with Rambus, coordinating with patent counsel in worldwide related proceedings; Rambus Inc. v. Micron Technology, Inc., et al. (2007-2010).
National counsel defending civil price-fixing and government enforcement actions regarding dynamic random access memory chip products; In re DRAM Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 1486 (2007-present).
Defending senior executives in DOJ antitrust grand jury investigations of auto parts industry and real estate foreclosure auctions (2011-present).
Represented Seagate in class actions challenging disclosures about computer hard drive storage capacity, including leading case regarding class action settlements, Cho v. Seagate Technology Holdings, Inc., 177 Cal. App. 4th 734 (2009).
Represented Taiwanese business owner before China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC) in series of disputes arising out of sale of textile-related businesses (2009-2010).
Represented a national bank in an action brought by franchisees of a tax preparation service in which plaintiffs asserted unfair business practices and sought to certify a nationwide class; obtained a complete dismissal of the action before any discovery had occurred (2008).
Participated in a highly publicized internal investigation of a 20+ billion dollar insurance provider (2008-2009).
- American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust
- State Bar of California, Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Section
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- The Case For Eliminating ACPERA's Supplemental Cooperation Requirement For Amnesty Applicants, Competition: The Journal of the Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Section of the State Bar of California, Vol. 20, No. 2, Fall 2011
- Monthly Contributor, ABA Section of Antitrust Intellectual Property E-Bulletin
Antitrust Law Blog Articles
- "Brick By Illinois Brick: Ninth Circuit Builds High Wall For Indirect Purchaser Suits," August 10, 2012
- "Bill Introduced To Secure Reduced Civil Liability For Amnesty Applicants", June 3, 2010
- "U.S. Court Grounds Europe-Japan Air Travel Price-Fixing Case", December 16, 2009
- "Obama Signs Legislation Extending Limitations On Civil Liability For Amnesty Applicants", July 9, 2009
- "Eighth Circuit Affirms Dismissal of Antitrust Claims Against Amway", June 12, 2009