Where Out...is In
Out at Sheppard's mission is to increase visibility of and support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender attorneys and professionals in keeping with Sheppard Mullin's overall commitment to diversity. The group focuses its collective efforts on finding, hiring and retaining the best and brightest LGBT attorneys and encouraging them as they move into leadership roles at the Firm. Out at Sheppard helps facilitate participation in law student outreach programs, actively participates in the Summer Associate program, and provides informal opportunities for mentorship, collaboration and camaraderie for attorneys in all stages of their career. The group also serves as a resource for professional and business development, and as a communication link to the Firm's leadership.
By contributing to the open and affirming culture at Sheppard Mullin, we aim to positively impact not only our own and our clients' workplaces, but also the larger communities in which we practice. We are committed to seeking out, encouraging and supporting meaningful pro bono work, community activism and volunteer opportunities to protect the rights and improve the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals and their loved ones. For more information about Out At Sheppard, please contact D&I@sheppardmullin.com.
Please click here to read our Out at Sheppard brochure.
Sheppard Mullin has a strong tradition of supporting the LGBT community through pro bono work and charitable giving. The firm is proud to provide pro bono service to such organizations as Lambda Legal and the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD). In addition, Sheppard Mullin sponsors LGBT-related events and provides financial support to various LGBT community organizations.
GLAAD: Because of Sheppard Mullin's dedication to LGBT issues, and after our attorneys met with GLAAD's new president and board of directors, GLAAD recently chose to continue using Sheppard Mullin as its principal outside legal counsel. Recent pro bono matters for GLAAD include event, venue, and vendor agreements for the GLAAD Media Awards, tax-related advice, employment contracts, and leasing projects. Many Sheppard Mullin attorneys and clients attend the annual GLAAD Media Awards in New York and Los Angeles.
Lambda Legal: Sheppard Mullin is also a proud National Sponsor of Lambda Legal. Pro bono matters with Lambda Legal include assistance with an amicus brief opposing a challenge to an amendment to the California Education Code broadening the definition of gender to include sexual identity. Each year, Sheppard Mullin attorneys and clients attend Lambda events including the Lambda Legal Liberty Awards National Dinner in New York City.
Other pro bono efforts supporting the LGBT community:
- Sheppard Mullin received the AID for AIDS International's My Hero Award, commemorating the firm's outstanding contribution in the fight against HIV and AIDS.
- Sheppard Mullin attorneys obtained immigration asylum for an HIV-positive LGBT immigrant from Mexico after a lifetime of abuse and threats, ensuring that he would not be deported to face persecution and poor health.
- Preparation of a pro bono estate plan for HIV/AIDS clients.
Sheppard Mullin attorneys have had leadership roles in many LGBT organizations, including:
- Lambda Legal National Leadership Committee
- Pop Luck Club (a non-profit organization providing community support for gay dads and their children )
- National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association
- Tom Homann LGBT Bar Association (San Diego)
- Sheppard Mullin Rated 100% By The Human Rights Campaign's 2013 Corporate Equality Index
- Sheppard Mullin Recognized on The American Lawyer's 2012 Diversity Scorecard
- Sheppard Mullin Named Among "Top 100 Law Firms for Diversity" for 2012 by MultiCultural Law Magazine
- Sheppard Mullin Rated 100% By The Human Rights Campaign's 2012 Corporate Equality Index
- Sheppard Mullin Honored With GE Legal Diversity Leadership Award
- Sheppard Mullin Rated 100% By The Human Rights Campaign's 2011 Corporate Equality Index
- Department of Labor Extends Family Medical Leave Act Coverage to Same-Sex, Non-Traditional Parents
- Sheppard Mullin Recognized on The American Lawyer's 2010 Diversity Scorecard
- Sheppard Mullin Rated 95/100% By The Human Rights Campaign's 2010 Corporate Equality Index
- Sheppard Mullin Selected By MultiCultural Law As A "Top 100 Law Firm for Diversity"
- Sheppard Mullin Selected By MultiCultural Law As A 2008 "Top 100 Law Firm for Diversity" and "Top 100 Law Firms for Women"
- Sheppard Mullin Recognized as a Multicultural Law Magazine 2007 Top Law Firm for Diversity
- Multicultural Law Ranks Sheppard Mullin In Its "2006 Top 100 Law Firms for Diversity"
- Multicultural Law Magazine Ranks Sheppard Mullin Among Most Diverse U.S. Law Firms
- Local Law School Pipeline Programs and High School Students Benefit From Sheppard Mullin Diversity & Inclusion
- Sheppard Mullin Named GLAAD Principal Outside Counsel
- International Trade Expert Joins Sheppard Mullin Los Angeles
- Healthcare Expert Ken Yood Joins Sheppard Mullin In Los Angeles/Century City
- Sheppard Mullin Boosts Diversity Initiatives
- Intellectual Property Partner Blaine Templeman Joins Sheppard Mullin New York
- Sheppard Mullin Lands Leading Food and Drug Attorney, Peter S. Reichertz
Sheppard Mullin hires and maintains a team of attorneys that is both the best of the brightest and as diverse as the world we live in. Critical to this effort is the firm's focus on recruiting LGBT attorneys. To this end, members of our LGBT affinity group, "Out at Sheppard" participate on the firm Recruiting Committee and various local committees as well as in various LGBT specific recruiting events, including the career fairs and outreach programs.
The firm's commitment to LGBT recruiting is evidenced through its non-discrimination policy, which includes sexual orientation and gender identity. In addition, the firm provides LGBT employees and partners and their families the same benefits afforded to the rest of our professionals. These policies have resulted in Sheppard Mullin receiving a perfect score (100%) on the annual Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index, which measures how equitably large private businesses in the United States treat their LGBT employees, consumers, and investors.
Our attorneys actively participate in the Summer Associate program and connect with LGBT summer associates on more informal levels as well. Members of Out at Sheppard are also available for lateral candidates to contact with questions about working at the firm.
Please click here to read our Out at Sheppard brochure.
Events & Sponsorships
- Lavender Law Conference and Career Fair, San FranciscoAugust 22, 2013
- Concrete Hero, Los AngelesJuly 14, 2013
- Lambda Legal Summer Associate and Firm Networking Reception, Los AngelesJuly 2013
- Lambda Legal West Coast Liberty Awards, Los AngelesJune 2013
- Out at Sheppard Annual Retreat, Los AngelesJune 2013
- Lambda Legal Liberty Awards National Dinner, New YorkMay 6, 2013
- Out at Sheppard Client Reception, San FranciscoMay 2, 2013
- Tom Homann LGBT Law Association Annual Dinner, San DiegoMay 2013
- Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) Media AwardsApril 20, 2013
- Sheppard Mullin/Columbia Outlaws Luncheon, New YorkApril 2013
- New York Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) Media AwardsMarch 16, 2013
- San Francisco Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) Media AwardsMarch 11, 2013
- Williams Institute Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity Moot Court Competition, Los AngelesFebruary 16, 2013
- Lesbian & Gay Lawyers Association Annual Gala, Los AngelesFebruary 9, 2013
- LA Gay and Lesbian Center Annual Legal Professionals ReceptionJanuary 13, 2013
- LA Gay & Lesbian Center Anniversary GalaNovember 10, 2012
- National LGBT Bar Association’s Out and Proud Corporate Counsel Reception, San DiegoOctober 25, 2012
- Lambda Legal D.C. Sponsor Appreciation PartyOctober 24, 2012
- Out at Sheppard Annual Retreat, Los AngelesOctober 19, 2012
- Lavender Law Conference and Career Fair, Washington, D.C.August 23, 2012
- Lambda Legal in San DiegoJuly 18, 2012
- Lambda Legal West Coast Liberty Awards, Los AngelesJune 14, 2012
- San Francisco Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) Media AwardsJune 2, 2012
- Lambda Legal in D.C.May 21, 2012
- Tom Homann LGBT Law Association Annual Dinner in San DiegoMay 10, 2012
- Lambda Legal Liberty Awards National Dinner, New YorkMay 7, 2012
- Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) Media AwardsApril 21, 2012
- New York Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) Media AwardsMarch 24, 2012
- Out at Sheppard Annual Retreat in Los AngelesOctober 28, 2011
- Lambda Legal West Coast Liberty Awards in Los AngelesOctober 27, 2011
- Lavender Law Conference and Career Fair in Los AngelesSeptember 8, 2011
- Lambda Legal in DCJune 1, 2011
- The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) Media Awards in San FranciscoMay 14, 2011
- Tom Homann LGBT Law Association Annual Dinner in San DiegoMay 12, 2011
- Liberty Awards National Dinner - Lambda Legal in New YorkMay 2, 2011
- Lambda Legal's San Francisco CelebrationApril 21, 2011
- Columbia Law School's Outlaws in New YorkApril 18, 2011
- The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) Media Awards in Los AngelesApril 10, 2011
- Out at Sheppard Wine Reception in Los AngelesApril 7, 2011
- UCLA's Williams Institute 10th Anniversary Celebration in Los AngelesApril 7, 2011
- Lambda Legal in Fort LauderdaleMarch 27, 2011
- The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) Media Awards in New YorkMarch 19, 2011
- Love Lounge for Lambda Legal in Los AngelesMarch 6, 2011
- Out at Sheppard Annual Retreat in Los AngelesOctober 2010
- Lavender Law, National LGBT Bar Association's Annual Career Fair and Conference in Miami Beach, FLAugust 26, 2010
- GLAAD Media Awards in San FranciscoJune 5, 2010
- Tom Homann LGBT Law Association Annual Dinner in San DiegoMay 13, 2010
- Lambda Legal Liberty Awards National Dinner in New YorkMay 3, 2010
- Cocktail Reception and Private Wine Tasting hosted by Out at Sheppard in Los AngelesApril 29, 2010
- GLAAD Media Awards in Los AngelesApril 17, 2010
- GLAAD Media Awards in New YorkMarch 13, 2010
- National Employment Law Counsel Diversity ReceptionMarch 9, 2010
- The Orange County Diversity Task ForceJanuary 1, 2010
Bankruptcy and Restructuring
Construction and Infrastructure
Entertainment, Technology and Advertising
Food and Drug Regulatory
Government Contracts, Investigations & International Trade
Labor and Employment
Land Use and Natural Resources