- J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 1998
- B.A. The University of Michigan, 1993
- Intern, the Honorable Michael B. Mukasey, United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First and Second Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
Daniel Brown is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's New York office. Mr. Brown is also the Chair of the firm's Pro Bono Committee.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Brown specializes in high stakes, complex, commercial litigations and arbitrations, including consumer class actions. He has particular experience litigating “bet the business” disputes among business owners and by consumers and competitors alleging claims arising from many state and federal statutes, including claims under the antitrust, securities, trademark, copyright, and consumer protection laws.
A significant part of Mr. Brown’s litigation practice has always involved the representation of large and independent/boutique hotel brand managers, franchisors and owners in various disputes arising from the hotel owner-manager relationship, including litigating breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty disputes arising from terminations of hotel management and other agreements, and serving as trial counsel in cases that have set the standards for determining damages in the context of hotel management related disputes.
Mr. Brown is the recipient of Disability Rights Advocates’ 2014 New York Impact Litigation Award, given in recognition of his life changing litigation on behalf of hundreds of thousands of people with disabilities.
- Recipient, New York Impact Litigation Award, in recognition of life changing litigation on behalf of people with disabilities, Disability Rights Advocates, 2014
- Mr. Brown was a member of the pro bono team at Sheppard Mullin receiving the 2011 Frankel Award from Human Rights First for their successful representation of Abdalmageed Haroun, a prominent human rights activist and former Sudanese prisoner. In the Sudan, Mr. Haroun's work focused on women's rights, the plight of internally displaced refugees, and the victims of the conflict in Darfur. As a result of his selfless and heroic efforts, Mr. Haroun was detained for months, persecuted, tortured, and threatened with death by the Sudanese government, forcing him to flee the country. The firm represented Mr. Haroun in connection with his application for asylum in the United States.
- New York Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2014
- New York Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2011
- Avalos v. IAC/Interactivecorp. et al., 13-cv-08351 (S.D.N.Y). Obtained pre-answer dismissal of complaint concerning internet dating profiles and asserting claims under the Lanham Act, Copyright Act, RICO statute, and state laws.
- Taxis for All Campaign v. Taxi & Limousine Commission, 11-cv-00237 (S.D.N.Y.). Achieved a historic settlement with New York City In this case challenging the New York City taxicab fleet as not wheelchair accessible, in which the City has agreed to have the New York taxi fleet, which is currently only 1.8% accessible, become 50% accessible over six years.
- BCID v. Bloomberg, 11-cv-6690 (S.D.N.Y.). Successfully represented and tried a case on behalf of a class of all persons with disabilities in New York City alleging that New York City has failed to adequately plan for people with disabilities in emergencies.
- In re MSR Resort Golf Course, LLC, 11-10372 (Bankr. S.D.N.Y.) and In re M Waikiki (D. HI.). Successfully represented Marriott in two high profile litigations arising from termination of hotel management agreements.
- Cohen vs. T Mobile USA, Inc. et. al, 10cv02913 (E.D.N.Y.). Obtained a pre-answer and pre-motion dismissal on behalf of T-Mobile USA, Inc. in a case alleging violations of New York General Business Law § 349.
- Kalimantano GmbH, et. al v. WatchNetwork.com, Twitter Inc., et. al, 13 -560 (S.D.N.Y.). Successfully represented WatchNetwork.com in case alleging violations of the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, defamation, damage to business reputation, and invasion of privacy in connection with information on the defendants’ websites.
- Respira Health LLC v. Med Biogene, Inc., 650365/2011 (Sup. Ct. NY. Co.). Successfully defended biotech company against lost profits claims arising from alleged breaches of a letter of intent.
- Banxcorp v. Bankrate Inc., 2:07-cv-03398 (D.N.J). Successfully represented LendingTree against antitrust claims.
- Member of litigation and trial team for Samsung Electronics in the largest ever civil antitrust case.
- In re SRAM Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 1819 (2006-present): National counsel defending civil price-fixing class actions regarding computer memory chips.
- Camofi Master LDC, et al. v. Advanced Cell Technology, Inc., Index No. 652816-2011 (N.Y . Sup. Ct. 2013); Cranshire Capital Master Fund, Ltd., 11 Civ. 8755 (DLC)(JCF)(S.D.N.Y. 2012); Black Mountain Equities, Inc. v. Advanced Cell Technology, Inc., 11 Civ. 7305 (PAE) (S.D.N.Y. 2012); Alpha Capital Anstalt v. Advanced Cell Technology, Inc., 09 Civ. 670 (LAK) (S.D.N.Y. 2012). Defended biotechnology company in lawsuits alleging failure to honor convertible note and warrant obligations. Obtained favorable settlement of each lawsuit.
- Blue Tree Hotels Investment (Canada) Ltd. v. Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc., 369 F.3d 212 (2d Cir. 2004). Successfully argued the appeal before the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, which resulted in the dismissal of alleged antitrust violations against the defendants arising from purported violations of the Robinson-Patman Act.
- Lead litigator for the indenture trustee for $1.7 billion in notes in the Adelphia bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented hotel managers and owners in litigations and arbitrations concerning the termination of hotel management agreements.
- Successfully defeated an action seeking injunctive relief and the attachment of the assets of an apparel company.
- Represented an inventor of computer software and business owner in an arbitration arising from the purchase of his business and software.
- Represented a multinational conglomerate corporation in an international arbitration concerning a distribution and licensing agreement.
- Represented an appliance manufacturer in an international arbitration concerning the termination of an exclusive distributorship.
- Represented a cell phone manufacturer concerning its rights under a joint-venture agreement.
- In Hall v. New York Roadrunners Club, 99-Civ.-4122 (E.D.N.Y.): Lead counsel for Plaintiffs, a lawsuit brought under the Americans With Disabilities Act in connection with the running of the New York City Marathon. The historic settlement of that lawsuit included equal treatment for wheelchair athletes in the largest spectator event in the world.
- Mr. Brown has made significant contributions to cases that have been reported in the New York Law Journal, New York Times and Wall Street Journal. Mr. Brown has also appeared on CNN, NBC and Court TV.
- Mr. Brown has been a featured speaker at hospitality, antitrust, electronic discovery and other Continuing Legal Education programs.
- New York Law Journal, September 24, 2012
- New York Law Journal, April 16, 2012
- New York Law Journal, July 18, 2011
- Former Student Athletes’ Right of Publicity and Antitrust Claims Will Proceed Against the NCAA and Electronic ArtsSports Litigation Alert, June 3, 2011
- “UNITED STATES,” International and Comparative LitigationKluwer Law International, 2011
- Former Athletes Seek A Share of NCAA Licensing ProfitSports Litigation Alert, March 12, 2010
- Understanding the potential uses of social networking sites should be considered when preparing for litigationNew York Law Journal, September 8, 2009
- ‘Koehler’ provides greater New York state access to banks for collection.New York Law Journal, July 20, 2009
- HotelExecutive.com, June 1, 2009
- Hotel Executive, April 1, 2009
- HotelExecutive.com, December 1, 2008
- Has the Litigation Boom BegunHotelExecutive.com, July 1, 2008
- Hotel Executive.com, March 1, 2008
- November 28, 2005
- Cloud Computing Legal Deskbook, 2013 Edition, Thomson Reuters Westlaw (Author of Chapter on Electronic Discovery)
- Author of a comprehensive chapter on U.S. antitrust and federal civil procedure in International and Comparative Competition Litigation, a treatise comparing the competition laws in over 20 jurisdictions world-wide.
Sheppard Mullin Blog Posts
- "Commercial Division Practice Continues to Shift Towards Federal Standards with Four Proposed Rule Changes," May 4, 2015
- "Monetary Threshold For Commencing Cases In Manhattan’s Commercial Division Raised to $500,000," February 7, 2014
- "Second Circuit Holds that Federal Common Law Prohibits Trading By Insiders of a Cayman Islands Corporation While In Possession of Material Nonpublic Information," February 4, 2014
- "Subpoena of AOL Senior Executive Under the "Apex Rule" Disallowed Absent Special Knowledge," March 6, 2013
- "Court Provides Guidance for Seeking Damages Arising From Trades of Distressed Claims," August 13, 2012
- "Second Circuit Rejects $2 Billion Class Action Award Against The Republic of Argentina," June 8, 2010
- "Plaintiffs' Failure To Satisfy FTAIA's "Two-Step Dance" Results In Dismissal Of Foreign Purchase Claims," June 3, 2010
- "The United States Supreme Court Rules That Class Arbitration Is Improper When Parties To An Arbitration Agreement Have Not Explicitly Authorized Class Arbitration," May 11, 2010
- "eBay Auction Sellers' Bid For Class Certification Rejected," April 28, 2010
- "Second Circuit Court of Appeals Rules That Antitrust Complaint Satisfies Twombly Pleading Standards," February 17, 2010
- "Air Cargo Class Action to Proceed -- District Court Overrules Twombly Dismissal Recommendation," October 12, 2009
- "The Third Circuit Clarifies the "Rigorous Analysis" Courts Must Apply In Class Certification," February 10, 2009
- "California Court of Appeal Drops The Other Shoe: Pass-on Defense Viable," August 15, 2008
- "Hospital Lacks Antitrust Standing to Pursue Claims Against Johnson & Johnson Where, Pursuant to an Agreement with J&J, Hospital Purchased Products from a Distributor," June 9, 2008
- "Antitrust Class Action Monopolization Claims Against eBay Will Proceed; Tying Arrangement Claims Dismissed," April 7, 2008
- "The Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals Upholds Most of the State of Washington's Regulations on the Sales of Alcoholic Beverages," March 12, 2008
- "Multimillion Dollar Class Action Settlements Approved In Insurance Brokerage Litigations," October 5, 2009
- Law360, April 3, 2015
- Rye Brook Attorney Files Lawsuit to Compel P.C. Station AccessibilityWestmore News, January 2, 2015
- Law360, January 2, 2015
- New York Law Journal, October 2, 2014
- New York Times, September 30, 2014
- New York Law Journal, September 18, 2014
- The American Lawyer Daily, January 6, 2014
- The American Lawyer, January 6, 2014
- Law360, December 6, 2013
- Advocates for the Disabled Seek Outside Expert to Examine NYC Disaster-Response ProceduresNew York Law Journal, March 12, 2013
- New York Taxi Workers Alliance, December 5, 2012
- Law360, February 12, 2012
- New York Law Journal, February 10, 2012
- Law360, June 8, 2010
- New York Times, May 25, 2010
- Maintaining the Attorney-Client Privilege (CLE for private parties)
- Antitrust Compliance (CLE for private parties)
- Managing a Cartel Investigation (CLE for private parties)
- "Back to the Future: Revisiting Class Certification in In Re: Visa Check/MasterMoney Antitrust Litigation Under the Standards Enunciated in In Re: Initial Public Offering Securities Litigation," New York State Bar Association Antitrust Law Section Annual Meeting, January 26, 2012
- Retail Practice Group CLE: Best Practices for Retail CounselApril 29, 2015
- Spring 2015 New York Fashion WeekFebruary 17, 2015
- Seton Hall University School of Law -- Room 373; One Newark Center; Newark, New Jersey, April 20, 2011
- W New York, November 10, 2010
- Teleconference 1:00 - 2:30pm, June 15, 2010
- Strafford Publications, Inc., November 11, 2009
- Member, President's Committee on Access to Justice, New York State Bar Association
- Hotel Business Review, Editorial Board Member 2009 and 2010
- Member, Antitrust Law Section, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Class Action Committee of the Antitrust Law Section, New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust
- New York State Bar Association