- J.D., Loyola Law School, 1992
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 1989
Mr. Sunkin is a partner in the Corporate Practice Group in the firm's Los Angeles office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Sunkin practices general corporate and securities law, with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, public offerings, SEC reporting obligations, corporate governance, and marketing and sponsorships agreements. He advises clients ranging from start-ups to large public companies, including representing purchasers, sellers, and financial advisors in public and private merger and acquisition transactions. Before joining Sheppard Mullin, he was vice president and general counsel of Earl Scheib, Inc., where he was responsible for all of the company's legal and business affairs and the company's strategic planning and acquisitions/divestitives.
- Represented Bio Cybernetics International, Inc. in its sale to Ottobock Healthcare North America, Inc.
- Represented the successful bidder of the assests of Syntax-Brillian (Olevia brand electronics) in Delaware Bankruptcy Court.
- Represented The Viamedia Group of Companies in its sale to Lake Capital Partners.
- Represented the City of Pasadena/The Rose Bowl in the negotiations of long term revenue contracts with the Regents of the University of California and the Tournament of Roses, and the media rights agreement with IMG/Legends in support of the City's 2010 $156 million bond offering, as well as in its follow-on $30 million private bond offering in 2013.
- Represented the LA Marathon in its sponsorship and strategic partnerships.
- Represented an investor group in the acquisition of the assets of Golf Gear International in Nevada Bankruptcy Court.
- Represented ARTISTdirect, Inc.(OTC: ARTD) in its acquisition of MediaDefender, Inc.
- Represented Ventura Distribution, Inc. in its Assignment for the Benefit of Creditors and the sale of substantially all of its assets to First Look Studios.
- Represented Ashley Furniture in its acquisition of Furniture Home Stores in Southern California.
- Represented Arrowhead Brass & Plumbing, LLC and Alhambra Ave. Real Estate, LLC in the purchase of assets from California Assignment, LLC.
- Represented Bio Cybernetics International in the sale of its military division to Pyng Medical.
- Represented Vision Capital Advisors as the lead investor in a PIPE investment in BPO Management Services, Inc. (OTCBB:BPOM.OB).
- Represented the seller (former Chairman and CEO) in the sale of 10% of the common stock in Obagi Medical Products, Inc. (NASDAQ) to Fundamental Investment Group, a fund managed by UBS AG.
- Represented Earl Scheib, Inc. in its merger with Kelly Capital.
- Represented Earl Scheib, Inc. in the acquisition of certain assets of ElectroBake Enterprises of Florida.
- Represented Innovative Micro Technologies in its going private transaction.
- Represented Riverside Construction in its acquisition of substantially all the assets of Bonadiman McCain.
- Represented the Campbell Companies, in connection with the sale of substantially all of its assets to a subsidiary of Building Materials Holding Corporation (NYSE: BLG).
- Represented Fantatech, Inc. in its SEC deregistration and subsequent sale of substantially all of its assets to Shenzhen Youshun Investment Co. Ltd.
- Represented FreeFi Networks, Inc. in a licensing transaction with Buena Vista Video on Demand, Inc., a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Co.
- Represented Standard Brands Paint Company (NYSE) in its Chapter 11 reorganization and later sale to Corimon S.A.C.A. (NYSE).
- Represented The Art Stores in its sale to an investor group.
- Represented the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Salick Health, Inc. (NYSE) in its sale to Zeneca Group (NYSE).
- Represented The Cheesecake Factory (NYSE) in its initial public offering.
- Represented The Foothill Group (NYSE) in its acquisition by Norwest Financial (NYSE).
- Represented The Del Monte Group in its financial restructuring.
- Represented The Bank of New York in the foreclosure and later sale of its intellectual property rights to the Skechers and Karl-Kani trademarks to a private investor group.
- Review D&O Liability Insurance Before Bankruptcy To Ensure Its Adequacy, Bowne Digest, February 2004
- Director/Officer Liability in Event of Bankruptcy, ACC Docket 21, no. 10, November/December 2003