- J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 2005, Interschool Editor, Fordham Moot Court Board
- B.A., New York University, 2002, cum laude
- Interned for the Honorable Loretta A. Preska, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
Gina Reif Ilardi is a partner in the Entertainment, Technology and Advertising Practice Group in the firm's New York and Century City offices.
Areas of Practice
Ms. Ilardi counsels motion picture and television studios, major brands, prominent website operators, cable, broadcast and OOH networks and advertising and marketing agencies. She helps clients structure their relationships with the various stakeholders and counterparties, and guides them through the ever-changing legal issues that affect how their advertising, marketing and promotional campaigns are activated across all media. Her practice includes sports marketing, entertainment marketing, interactive marketing, e-commerce and branded entertainment, preparing endorsement agreements and sponsorship agreements, implementing and avoiding ambush marketing campaigns, implementing commercial co-venture campaigns, preparing and negotiating joint promotion alliances, analyzing and licensing copyright, trademark, publicity and other intellectual property rights, reviewing and clearing long-form and short-form advertising copy in all media, structuring user-generated and professionally-produced content distribution and monetization initiatives, complying with privacy concerns, preparing advertising agency and media agreements, and advising clients in complying with state and federal anti-lottery and anti-gambling regulations governing some of the highest profile on-line and off-line contest and sweepstakes promotions in the country. In representing clients in their online initiatives, she advises clients on issues arising under the various guild agreements, prepares content licensing agreements and website development agreements.
Ms. Ilardi also advises clients on the collection, storage, sharing (including cross-border sharing and transfer) and use of personal information and other data. In addition, she has represented many clients in connection with certification under the US-EU and US-Swiss Privacy Safe Harbor Framework, which requires detailed due diligence regarding a client’s IT and information privacy policies and practices and project management skills.
Ms. Ilardi’s practice also the representation of studios, writers and independent production companies in various aspects of motion picture and television development, production, finance, distribution, advertising and promotions. She advises clients on feature film distribution agreements, joint development agreements, television series development agreements, first-look agreements, rights acquisition agreements and options, book publishing, merchandising and other licensing agreements. Her expertise also includes reviewing chain of title, acting as production counsel and performing diligence on television, motion picture and other intellectual property libraries in connection with mergers and acquisitions in the entertainment industry.
In 2014, Ms. Ilardi was named as a Media and Entertainment Rising Star by Law 360, and a New York Rising Star by the New York Law Journal. Ms. Ilardi has repeatedly been listed in the Legal 500 in its guide to outstanding lawyers nationwide for Marketing and Advertising and been named a New York Rising Star by Super Lawyers. Ms. Ilardi was also recognized in Variety’s Dealmakers Impact Report in 2013 and 2015.
- Media and Entertainment Rising Star, Law360, 2014
- New York Rising Star, New York Law Journal, 2014
- Marketing and Advertising, Legal 500, 2013, 2014
- New York Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2013, 2014
- Recognized in Variety's Legal Impact Report, 2013, 2015
- Aereo: The Supreme Court Case That May Change How We Watch Television, The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, February 2014
- FTC Updates To Online Privacy Acts, COPPA and VPPA, The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, February 2013
- First Amendment v. The Right Of Publicity: The Game Is On!, The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, August 2012
- Who’s Right On Privacy?, The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, September 2011
- The Athlete Endorsement Game, Sports Litigation Alert, April 24, 2009
- Citi Field: What's In A Name?, Sports Litigation Alert, February 13, 2009
- Recapturing Ownership Through Copyright Terminations, New York Law Journal, October 14, 2008
- When Copyright and Trademark Infringement Goes Online, New York Law Journal, October 29, 2007
- "When is a Tort Complete? Courts Address Whether Plaintiffs Can Assert Claims Without Injury," law.com, April 4, 2007 (co-author)
- "Beryllium Sensitization (Without More) Not A Disease Or Cognizable Tort Injury," Mealy's Emerging Toxic Torts, September 2006 (co-author)
Covering Your Ads Law Blog Posts
- "Will The Revised "Green Guides" Do More Harm Than Good?," October 14, 2010
- ABA and New York Law School Symposium: ADR and Young Lawyers, New York, New York, January 30, 2015
- Negotiating and Drafting Entertainment Deals for Athlete Clients: What’s an Option Agreement, Pilot Deal and Locked for Life? Sports Lawyers Association Annual Conference, Chicago, Illinois, May 16, 2014
- Fashion Week Meets Ad Week, Facing Off Against Advertising Challenges in the Fashion Industry, New York, New York, September 30, 2014
- Online Television in the balance: The Courts and Aereo, Broadcasting and Cable Magazine Webinar, January 30, 2014
- It's All About the Brand!, New York Fashion Week Seminar - Fall 2013, New York, New York, September 12, 2013
- Privacy in the Fashion World, New York Fashion Week Seminar, New York, New York, Fall 2011
- Gift Cards - So Many Rules So Little Time - Are You Gift Card Safe? New York Fashion Week Seminar, Fall 2009
- Member, New York City Bar Entertainment Law Committee