- Université Panthéon Assas (Paris II), Licence en droit, 1985, with distinction
- B.A., University of Oxford, Jurisprudence, 1987
Isabelle Rahman is a partner in the Antitrust and Competition Practice Group in the firm’s Brussels office.
Areas of Practice
Ms. Rahman has substantial experience in the application of the EU competition rules and represents clients active in the airline, chemical, consumer products, food, life sciences/pharma, fashion, entertainment and media industries, among others.
Ms. Rahman serves international clients in Brussels, providing strategic advice regarding merger control, cartel and abuse of dominance investigations, representing clients throughout the EU investigation process, and coordinating with other foreign proceedings as needed. She also regularly counsels clients on business compliance issues in relation to pricing practices, distribution, licensing and joint ventures.
Ms. Rahman has been recommended for many years as an expert in EU competition law matters by Chambers Europe and Chambers Global, which recognized her as being “valued by clients for ‘making very complicated law seem very simple: she states rules in a clear manner and always gives concrete examples’” and commented in its 2015 edition that “clients praise her for being extremely responsive, accomodating and knowledgeable” and for “understanding their business needs very quickly”. She was also recommended by European Legal Experts, Practical Law Company (PLC), IFLR 1000 and The Legal 500 EMEA which noted that “Isabelle Rahman is ‘an excellent adviser’, ‘very direct’ and ‘easy to understand’”.
- Leading Lawyer, Competition and Antitrust Guide 2016, Expert Guides
- Chambers Europe, 2005-2015
- Chambers Global, 2005-2015
- Legal 500, 2005-2015
- Advised global corporate travel management corporation in relation to ‘EU airline ticketing’ and ‘Marriott International/Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide’ investigations.
- Advised global food company in relation to French competition law investigation into retail buying groups.
- Advised leading consultancy firm in relation to various strategic pricing projects including in the pharma and chemical sectors.
- Advised PIMCO in relation to Deutsche Börse / LSE merger.
- Advised Mafco Worldwide Corporation, a manufacturer of licorice extract and related derivatives, on its acquisition of Merisant Company, a manufacturer of several of the world’s leading tabletop sweeteners.
- Advised Tilda Rice, a global rice manufacturer, in connection with the US$ 357 million sale of its business to Hain Celestial Group, Inc.
- Advised Kellogg on the US$ 2.7 billion acquisition of the Pringles Snacks Business of the Procter & Gamble Company.
- Represented Groupe Bel in connection with its acquisition of the global “Boursin” brand and business from the Unilever Group.
- Advised Kerry Group, the global flavor and consumer foods producer on its acquisition of US food giant Cargill’s flavours business for US$ 230 million.
- Advising and obtaining worldwide clearances for Israel Chemicals Limited in relation to a global production JV with Albemarle Corporation for the production of a new generation of flame retardant.
- Advised French private equity group on its acquisition of Colisée Group in the sector of retirement homes and represented them before the French competition authority to obtain clearance.
- Advised ECCO Group, a global player for automotive lighting, with respect to its acquisition of competitor PSE Newco Limited.
- Advised the two global media groups, Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA / RTL Group SA and CBS Corporation, in connection with the establishment of a joint venture active in the pay-TV segment.
- Advised US Airways and coordinated foreign multi-jurisdictional merger filings in relation to the US$ 11 billion merger with American Airlines.
- Guided Worldspan Inc. through the European Commission’s in-depth investigation of its US$ 1.4 billion sale of the company to Travelport.
- Represented Buckeye Technologies in relation to its US$ 1.5 billion acquisition by Georgia Pacific.
- Advised Peabody in connection with its AUS$ 5 billion acquisition of Macarthur Coal Limited.
- Advised the Luxembourg State in connection with the competition issues associated with the combination of 3 energy companies: Luxembourg’s incumbent gas and electricity providers (Soteg and Cegedel) and the German Saarland region’s leading gas provider, Saar Ferngas.
- Secured timely European Commission approval of Church & Dwight Co., Inc. as the purchaser of the SpinBrush business from Procter & Gamble. The European Commission required the divestiture of the SpinBrush business to an upfront buyer prior to clearing P&G’s US$ 57 billion acquisition of Gillette.
- Acted for Allergan, the NYSE listed speciality pharmaceutical company, in its €170,000,000 acquisition of Cornéal Laboratoires in relation to the various merger filings made worldwide.
- Advised Israeli Chemical Ltd. in relation to its acquisition of Supresta LLC, a competitor in the flame retardant sector.
- Advised Bertelsmann AG in relation to their acquisition of the leading French-Belgian bookstore chain Private Libris.
- Advised Peabody Energy in connection with the formation of a joint venture with China’s Shenhua Trading Group Ltd.
- Defended El Al Israel Airlines (the national Israeli carrier) in the EU Commission’s price fixing investigation in the air cargo sector. The Commission’s investigation was part of a global investigation by various competition authorities into alleged price fixing of fuel surcharges in the airfreight sector.
- Defended multinational chemical company in the EU Hydrogen Peroxide and Organic Peroxide cartel investigations.
- Represented global insulation foam producer in relation to a cartel investigation in Spain.
- Represented multinational steel company before the German Federal Cartel Office in relation to its investigation the Deutsche Bahn steel rail cartel.
- Advised Japanese automotive parts manufacturer in relation to French litigation on refusal to supply and abuse of dominant position.
- Represented El Al Israel Airlines to protect them against the disclosure of confidential information in the context of private antitrust litigation in the UK.
Includes matters handled prior to joining the firm.
Antitrust Law Blog Posts
- "Top 12 EU Legal Developments to Watch in 2017," January 23, 2017
- ""E-Commerce must live up to its promise…'," October 12, 2016
- "European Court of Justice to Rule on Legality of Online Sales Bans," April 29, 2016
- WhiteWave/Danone: Delay in EC filing not expected to postpone dealPaRR, October 18, 2016
- Whitewave/Danone: EC review could hinge on approach to dairy vs. plant-based substitutesPaRR, September 23, 2016
- DG Comp Imposes Extensive AB InBev/SABMiller DivestmentsGlobal Competition Review, May 25, 2016
- Competition LawChambers Europe 2016, May 24, 2016
- Law360, November 24, 2015
- February 16, 2017
- Associate Member, Brussels Bar