Foreign Language Bio
- J.D., University of Chicago Law School, 1993, Managing Editor of Law Review (1992-1993)
- B.A., Howard University, 1990
- Mr. Bowers served as a law clerk from January 1994 to January 1995 for The Honorable Joseph Hatchett of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
Mr. Bowers is Co-Practice Group Leader of Sheppard Mullin's 120+ attorney Corporate Practice Group and also leads the firm's National Automotive Team.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Bowers concentrates his practice in mergers and acquisitions and general commercial transactions. During the course of his career, Mr. Bowers has closed transactions with an aggregate value in excess of $20 billion. Mr. Bowers' extensive commercial experience encompasses the full spectrum of business transactions:
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Strategic Alliances
- Software and Intellectual Property Licensing
- Sales Agreements
- Service Agreements
- Marketing Agreements
- Vendor Agreements
- Supplier Agreements
- Outsourcing Agreements
- Employment Agreements
- Distribution Agreements
- Internet Agreements
During the course of his legal career, Mr. Bowers served as Vice President, Secretary & General Counsel at Medialive International Holdings, Inc. (Los Angeles), where he managed mergers and acquisitions, securities filings, employment, litigation and international transactions for the media conglomerate.
In addition, Mr. Bowers served as General Counsel at PetSmart.com, Inc. in Pasadena, where he negotiated agreements for venture capital financings, joint venture agreements, employment agreements, technology agreements and distribution agreements. He also managed all intellectual property, tax, litigation and other legal issues.
Mr. Bowers also has substantial experience with international transactions, negotiating deals in the United Kingdom, Canada, China, Europe and many other international locations.
- National Recognition as an Elite Leading Lawyer in Mergers & Acquisitions-Middle Market, Legal 500, 2016
- Legal 500, 2012-2015
- “Best Corporate Attorneys Under 40,” Corporate Board Member Magazine (2002)
- University of Chicago Law Review Service With Distinction Award
M&A Representations Include:
- DaVita, Inc. in the $4.4 billion acquisition of HealthCare Partners, a leading national coordinated care provider. This acquisition resulted in Sheppard Mullin being awarded the Deal of the Year in the healthcare industry by the M&A Atlas Awards in 2013.
- DaVita HealthCare Partners, Inc. in purchase, sale and joint venture transactions with multiple dialysis centers and nephrology groups.
- Paladina Health in the acquisition of ModernMed, Inc., a healthcare service firm providing direct primary care in twelve states through employer-based on-site clinics and private physician practices.
- Beckman Coulter, Inc. (a medical devices company) in the divestiture of its MicroPlate Reader Products Division
- Ticketmaster Entertainment, Inc. (an entertainment company) in the sale of its IATS division to First American Payment Systems
- Ticketmaster Entertainment, Inc. in the acquisition of Echomusic LLC
- Azonix Corporation (a defense contractor) in the acquisition of Kontron America, Inc.
- Mitek Corporation (a defense contractor) in the acquisition of Keragis Corporation
- Aristocrat Technologies, Inc. (a gaming company) in the acquisition of PokerTek, Inc.
- Golden State Foods, Inc. (a foodservice company) in the divestiture of American BDF, LLC
- MediaLive International, Inc. (a technology and media company) in the purchase of Pulver.com
- Fulcrum Capital in the acquisition financing of Total Transportation Services, Inc. and Seattle Freight Services, Inc. (transportation and distribution companies)
- Key3Media, Inc. in the acquisition of BCR Enterprises, Inc.
- Key3Media, Inc. in the acquisition of Next Generation Ventures, Inc.
- Spark Networks, PLC (an on-line social networking site) in the acquisition of MingleMatch, Inc.
- PetSmart.com, Inc. (an on-line retailer) in the acquisition of the assets of Pets.com, Inc.
IP Licensing Agreement Representations Include:
- Ticketmaster Entertainment, Inc. in connection with a licensing agreement with Apple, Inc.
- MediaLive International, Inc. in connection with all of its IP licensing agreements
- Aristocrat Technologies, Inc. in connection with various IP licensing agreements
- Berman Center, Inc. (a provider of clinical research support) in connection with IP licensing agreements
- Toyota Motor Sales in connection with various IP licensing agreements
- The RTC’s Override Regulation’s Freedom for Intrastate Branch Banking, University of Chicago Law Review, 1992.
- Law360, September 17, 2014
- American Corporate Counsel Association of Southern California, "M&A Best Practices and the Life Cycle of an M&A Transaction," January 16, 2013
- American Corporate Counsel Association of Southern California - In-House Counsel, "How to Be an Effective Corporate Secretary," 2012
- Association of Corporate Growth Private Equity Forum, "Emerging Issues in Privacy Law", 2011
- Corporate Governance Summit at the University of Southern California, “The Board’s Role in Corporate Disclosure Practices”
- Corporate Director Training Program at the Harold Price Center for Entrepreneurial Studies at the John E. Anderson Graduate School of Management at UCLA
- Southern California In-House Counsel Conference sponsored by the Southern California Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel, "M&A in 2010: Solutions for the New Economic Landscape"; "Corporate Governance Strategies for Economic Armageddon"; "Contract Boilerplate: Why You Should Read It"
- UCLA School of Law, guest lecturer on M&A Transactions
- Florida State University Law School, guest lecturer on Securities Issues
- Presented by leading experts in law, investment banking and wealth managementMarch 8, 2011
- University of Chicago Law School, Visiting Committee of the Board of Trustees (Committee Member, 2005-2007)
- Los Angeles Zoo (Trustee, 2006-2012)
- Association of Corporate Counsel (Board Member, January 2001-January 2004)
- Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (Associate Board Member, 1997-1999)
- Westlaw Corporation (Law Review Advisory Board Member, 1994-1995)
- United Way/Crusade Of Mercy (Allocations Committee Member, 1996-1997)
- Inside Out Writers Program (Board Member 2007 - 2012)