- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2004, cum laude, Current Developments Editor, Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics
- B.A., Washington & Lee University, 2001, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Pi Sigma Alpha Political Science Honor Society
- U.S. District Court, Central District
Mr. Barker is a special counsel in the Labor and Employment Practice Group in the firm's Los Angeles office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Barker specializes in labor and employment matters on behalf of management. He has defended employers in various types of labor and employment disputes, including matters involving allegations of harassment, retaliation, and discrimination based on age, sex, race, national origin, and disability, as well as alleged wage and hour violations, California Labor Code violations, breach of contract claims, and defamation claims. He has represented employers in both state and federal Court, as well as before administrative agencies such as the National Labor Relations Board, California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, and the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing.
- Super Lawyers "Rising Star", 2007
- Society for Human Resource Management California Employment Law Special Update
- Co-authored the article "Let's Do Lunch: The Effect of the 'Brinker' Decision on Meal and Rest Periods in California," published in the September 22, 2008 edition of the Orange County Business Journal.
- Co-authored the article "Who's in Charge Here? The Ethics 2000 Approach to Resolving Lawyer-Client Conflicts" published in the Summer, 2003 edition of the Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics.
Labor & Employment Law Blog Articles
- "Another California Court of Appeal Finds California's Special Protections for Labor Picketing to be Unconstitutional", February 7, 2011
- "U.S. Supreme Court Allows Lawsuit By Employee Who Claimed He Was Fired In Retaliation For His Fiancée's Discrimination Complaint", January 25, 2011
- "Court Of Appeals Finds That Some Work Performed At Home Or While Commuting To Work May Have To Be Paid", March 9, 2010
- "Federal Government Extends COBRA Subsidy", March 4, 2010
- "Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Finds That Individual Managers Of A Bankrupt Corporation Can Be Held Liable for Employees' Unpaid Wages", July 29, 2009
- "Department Of Labor Issues New FMLA Poster And Forms For Employer Use", January 14, 2009
- "Appellate Court Clarifies Meal and Rest Period Obligations", July 24, 2008