- Labor and Employment
- Intellectual Property
- Tribal and Indian Law
- J.D., Stanford University Law School, 1969
- A.B., Stanford University, 1966
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal district courts and state courts in California
John D. Collins is of counsel in the Labor and Employment and Business Trial Practice Groups in the firm's San Diego (Del Mar) office.
Areas of Practice
John has spent his entire legal career in San Diego, specializing in litigation/labor and employment matters exclusively on behalf of management. John combines extensive jury trial experience with an established position as one of the area's leading labor relations experts.
John has earned his prominence as one of the top jury trial lawyers in his field, with consistent high honors in most peer recognition lists. He has successfully tried dozens of jury cases to verdict on behalf of his management clients in most employment law areas, including wrongful termination, discrimination, employment contracts, harassment and wage and hour issues.
John is also an expert on trade secrets and unfair competition issues and has counseled his clients and successfully litigated many cases in that area.
John's labor/management experience spans decades and many industries, including aerospace, hotels and restaurants, television broadcast, construction, energy, and tribal casinos. John is a leading expert in collective bargaining. He served for many years as Executive Director and lead negotiator for a multi-employer bargaining group in the hospitality industry and has handled contract negotiations with many unions in many industries. John also has years of experience and outstanding results in all other aspects of labor law, including union organizing drives, strikes, picketing, boycott and trespass issues, grievance arbitrations and federal court litigation. He has handled many National Labor Relations Board hearings and trials at the Regional, Administrative Law Judge and NLRB levels. John frequently counsels and trains the Firm's clients on how to effectively maintain an issue-free workplace.
- Honored as one of "San Diego's Top 25 Lawyers" by San Diego Metropolitan Magazine
- Named Outstanding Trial Lawyer by the San Diego County Trial Lawyers Association
- Listed in "The Best Lawyers in America," for over 25 years
- Selected by his peers as a Top San Diego County Attorney
- Nominated by his peers and selected as one of the best professional service providers in the United States by The Best of the U.S.
- Southern California Super Lawyer every year since 2007
- Past Chairman of the Board and Board Member, Project Concern International
- Former Member, Board of Trustees, National University
- Board of Trustees, La Jolla Country Day School
- Board of Directors, San Diego Regional Economic Development Corporation
- Board of Trustees, STAR/PAL
- Labor and Employment Arbitrators Panel for Southern California, American Arbitration Association
- Art Gallery Owner, San Diego Gaslamp Quarter