- J.D., University of Southern California, 2007
- B.S., Cornell University, 2004
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Ninth Circuit
- District Court for the Central and Northern Districts of California
Jonathan Moss is an associate in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm's Los Angeles office. He is also a member of the firm's Energy and Hospitality Practice Teams.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Moss specializes in commercial and business litigation. His practice entails matters in state and federal court, including business disputes, class action defense, securities litigation, shareholder derivative cases, entertainment litigation, real estate disputes, insurance-related litigation and allegations of unfair business practice and fraud.
Mr. Moss is experienced in all aspects of California and federal civil procedure, including motion practice, arguing motions in court, taking and defending depositions, and preparing for trial and alternative dispute resolution proceedings.
Mr. Moss also has significant appellate experience, including briefing and arguing cases before the California Court of Appeal, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court.
Mr. Moss' experience includes:
- Won summary judgment in favor of a Los Angeles real estate developer in breach of contract action involving alleged failure to pay real estate commission.
- Represented closely held corporation in California Corporations Code section 2000 dissolution action.
- Represented Southern California Gas Company and Sempra Energy in all lawsuits related to the Sesnon fire.
- Obtained complete dismissal at the pleadings stage of lawsuit against Ernst & Young involving allegations of professional negligence and negligent misrepresentation.
- Represented Amgen in nationwide securities class action, including briefing in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and United States Supreme Court.
- Represented Amgen in shareholder derivative lawsuits.
- Prepared brief of Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) as Amicus Curiae in case before the United State Supreme Court.
- Obtained a favorable result for Northrop Grumman in a products liability case involving the crash of a military jet aircraft.
- Obtained complete dismissal at the pleadings stage of breach of contract lawsuit against Home Depot.
- Prepared motion to dismiss consumer class action against General Electric involving SmartMeter device, which resulted in complete dismissal for lack of jurisdiction.
- Represented Disney in breach of contract and copyright infringement lawsuit involving Disney's sale of movies on iTunes.
Published Appellate Decisions
- Southern California Gas Company v. Flannery, 232 Cal. App. 4th 477 (2014) (handled oral argument)
Unpublished Appellate Decisions
- Khan Development Co.; Inc. v. Bral, 2014 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 5113 (July 21, 2014)
- HotelExecutive.com, June 1, 2009
- Hotel Executive, April 1, 2009
Class Action Defense Strategy and Corporate & Securities Law Blog Posts
- "U.S. Supreme Court Decision Gives More Latitude to Defeat Securities Fraud Class Action Lawsuits Prior to Class Certification," June 25, 2014
- "Second Circuit Reverses Class Certification Order, Holding That a Clearing Broker's Alleged Knowledge of Fraud Against Shareholders, Absence Direct Involvement, Is Insufficient to Create a Duty of Disclosure," April 1, 2013
- "Third Circuit Follows The Second Circuit Permitting Defendants To Rebut The Fraud-On-The-Market Presumption At The Class Certification Stage," April 14, 2011
- "Ninth Circuit Clarifies Rule 23 Class Certification Standard," May 11, 2010
- "Delaware Chancery Court Dismisses Plaintiffs' Counsel In Merger Class Action, Challenging Credibility Of All Counsel In Connection With Proposed Settlement," April 21, 2010
- "Federal Circuits Grapple With Standard of Proof and the "Fraud-On-The-Market" Presumption At Class Certification Stage," October 2, 2009
- "Fraud-on-the-Market: Recent Developments in Securities Class Actions," CalCPA, Litigation Section, May 2011
- California State Bar, Litigation Section
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Beverly Hills Bar Association, Entertainment Law Division
- Cornell Hotel Society
- Anti-Defamation League: Board Member, Pacific Southwest Region and Glass Leadership Institute