- J.D., Stanford Law School
- Master of Pacific International Affairs, University of California, San Diego
- B.A., University of California, San Diego
Jeff Rector is an associate in the Energy and Finance practice groups in the firm's Del Mar office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Rector brings many years of experience working for project developers, lenders and contractors on limited recourse financings of complex projects. He primarily represents clients in connection with the development and financing of renewable projects, centralized power projects, mining, water, satellite and other infrastructure projects. Mr. Rector specializes in first of a kind transactions where the financiability of a project depends on governmental participation or policy support.
- Jeff was recognized as a notable Projects and Energy Expert (Japan Experts Based Abroad) in the 2014 and 2013 editions of Chambers Global and an "Up and Coming" attorney in the 2012 edition of Chambers Asia Pacific.
Recent representative transactions include advising
- The Export Credit Agency lenders to a proposed US$5 billion expansion project financing of a petrochemical complex located in Saudi Arabia.
- JBIC, Nippon Export and Investment Insurance, and a consortium of commercial banks in the US$1.1 billion project finance loan for the development of the Caserones copper mine in Chile. (Project Finance International Americas Mining Deal of the Year 2011)
- Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) in a multi-year representation in connection with the proposed three billion dollar financing of housing, to be structured in accordance with the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, and related water (potable and waste) and power infrastructure in support of the relocation of U.S. Marines from Okinawa to the Territory of Guam, U.S.A.
- The Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi, UFJ and other commercial bank lenders in the refinancing of the borrowing-base working capital facility for PT Smelting, a copper smelting and refinery based in Indonesia.
- Hongsa Power Company Limited in connection with the US$2.7 billion project financing for a 1,878-MW Power Plant Project in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic that exports a majority of its power to Thailand under a power purchase agreement with Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand. (Project Finance Magazine Asia-Pacific Power Deal of the Year 2010)
- JBIC and a consortium of commercial banks as lenders to the project company in Central Java Power, a 2,000 MW power plant project under development in Indonesia.
- Google Inc. in its acquisition of and tax equity investment in a 69 MW portfolio of solar power projects in California.
- BNP Paribas in the political risk guarantee-backed financing of the construction, operation and maintenance of a portion of the Interoceanica Sur toll road project in Peru. (Latin Lawyer Magazine Deal of the Year 2007)
- The lender to a portfolio of solar electricity projects based in Hawaii.
- The lender who provided construction and term financing for solar electric projects based in North Carolina.
- The lender who provided acquisition financing for a portfolio of solar electric projects in Tennessee.
- The project sponsors in connection with the sale-leaseback financing of a portfolio of distributed generation solar facilities located in Hawaii.
- The lender under a master credit facility for the financing of solar hot water heating systems and solar electric systems in connection with Louisiana state solar tax credits.
- A consortium of Japanese investors in their negotiations for the investment in a nuclear power project under development in the United States.
- Calpine Corporation in their negotiations with a leading EPC contractor for the EPC Agreement for the turn-key construction of a 600 MW gas fired power plant in California.
- A leading financier of renewable energy projects for the debt and tax equity financing of a portfolio of solar power projects in California, including negotiation of tax equity financing agreements and review of PPA and EPC Agreements.
- A state-owned utility in its negotiation of a CDM Emissions Reduction Purchase Agreement (ERPA) with a developer and broker of tradable carbon credits.
- The developer of distributed photovoltaic solar projects in its negotiations of PPAs with various commercial and government purchasers located in California and other western states.
- A leading solar power project developer in their long-term strategic supply agreement with a Chinese supplier.
- The export credit agency lender group in connection with the financing of the US$4.7 billion liquid natural gas facility in Yemen (Yemen LNG) and related facilities. (Infrastructure Journal Global Deal of the Year 2008; Project Finance Middle East Oil & Gas Deal of the Year 2008)
- The Export-Import Bank of Korea, JBIC and commercial banks on the financing of the US$850 million Cirebon Power Project, a 660 MW power plant located in Indonesia.
- The developer of a 1200 MW power project in northern Vietnam in its negotiation of a BOT Agreement, PPA, EPC Agreement and Fuel Supply Agreement.
- The developer of a 1200 MW power project in southern Vietnam in its negotiation of a Government Guarantee and Undertakings Agreement, PPA, and EPC Agreement.
- JBIC (and co-financing banks) for the US$2.3 billion project financing of Tanjung Jati B the 2 x 660 MW unit power project expansion located in Indonesia. (IFLR Asia Project Finance Deal of the Year 2008)
- The developer of a 50 MW wind farm in Mongolia.
- Perspectives from Northeast Asia, Project Finance International (PFI Yearbook 2013), January 2013
- Caserones – Copper Co-Operation, Project Finance International, January 2012
- FIT for Purpose (Japan’s Feed in Tariff), Project Finance International, October 2011
- Bilateral Emission Offset Mechanisms Might Eclipse CDM, Electric Light & Power, April 2011
- A Review of the Economic Substance Doctrine, Stanford Journal of Law, Business and Finance, Autumn 2004
- The IPP Investment Experience in Malaysia, Stanford University Program on Energy and Sustainable Development Working Paper #46, 2005
Real Estate, Land Use & Environmental Law Blog Posts
- Moderator, "Solar/Storage Business Models for Eastern Markets," Distributed Solar East 2014, May 20, 2014
- Presenter, "Termination for Convenience and Project Financing," 4th Defense Renewable Energy Summit, May 19, 2014
- Chair, "Executive Briefing - The Search for Low Cost Capital: YieldCos, Securitization, Green Bonds and More," Solar Power Finance & Investment Summit 2014, February 25, 2014
- Moderator, "Large Energy Users' Perspectives on Energy Savings and the Role of Distributed Solar," Distributed Solar Summit 2013, November 19, 2013
- "Termination for Convenience and Project Financing," Structuring Renewable Energy Deals in a DoD Contracting Environment, April 8, 2013