- J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 1994, cum laude, Order of the Coif, Associate Editor, Fordham Law Review
- A.B., University of Michigan, 1990
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Loretta A. Preska, United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- New York
- New Jersey
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court, District of New Jersey
- United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
Kevin R. Puvalowski is a partner in the firm's New York office, where he specializes in white collar defense and complex commercial litigation.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Puvalowski represents institutions and individuals in criminal, civil enforcement and regulatory investigations and proceedings before federal and state courts, arbitration panels, and regulatory and enforcement agencies. Mr. Puvalowski is also an experienced commercial litigator.
Areas of expertise include matters involving the Bank Secrecy Act and anti-money laundering (“BSA/AML”) laws and regulations, securities and commodities fraud, mortgage fraud, forfeiture and asset freezes, criminal tax cases, whistleblower issues, and cross-border criminal matters, including Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”) investigations. Recent matters include representation of:
- A federal savings bank charged with mortgage and securities fraud by the Manhattan District Attorney;
- A mortgage-backed securities broker in a pending DOJ/SEC fraud investigation;
- A major U.S. aerospace company in a pending arbitration concerning a Japanese reconnaissance system;
- A federal law enforcement agent charged in a criminal complaint in the SDNY that was dismissed in its entirety;
- A large financial inter-dealer broker in a FINRA arbitration that resulted in a complete denial of adverse claims;
- An international fossil dealer in connection with an asset forfeiture action and related criminal prosecution in the SDNY that resulted in a non-prosecution agreement;
- An individual and related entities in a federal civil asset forfeiture action and related criminal investigation concerning structuring allegations; and
- An individual in a federal criminal payroll tax prosecution in the EDNY that resulted in a probationary sentence.
Mr. Puvalowski has extensive trial and appellate experience, having tried more than a dozen criminal and civil trials before federal and state courts and worked on dozens of appeals, including arguing numerous appeals in the Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Mr. Puvalowski joined the firm after almost nine years of government service. He most recently served as Deputy Special Inspector General in the Office of the Special Inspector General for the Troubled Asset Relief Program (“SIGTARP”); before SIGTARP, he was a federal prosecutor in Manhattan for more than seven years.
At SIGTARP, Mr. Puvalowski co-founded the federal agency that was created to oversee the $700 billion bailout program and helped build it into a sophisticated law enforcement and audit agency with more than 120 employees and a $50 million annual budget. He served as the Special Inspector General’s principal deputy and primary advisor and represented the office in dealings with federal agencies, law enforcement, the financial industry, the media, and Congress, including testifying at Congressional hearings.
Prior to SIGTARP, Mr. Puvalowski was an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of New York, where he prosecuted a broad range of criminal and asset forfeiture cases, with an emphasis in complex money laundering, asset forfeiture and international crimes. He tried nine felony trials and briefed and argued numerous appeals. During his tenure at the United States Attorney’s Office, Mr. Puvalowski held several leadership positions, including Chief of the International Narcotics Trafficking Unit, Deputy Chief Appellate Attorney, and Regional Coordinator of the Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force (“OCDETF”) for the New York/New Jersey Region. As a result of his exemplary service, Mr. Puvalowski was twice awarded the Attorney General's John Marshall Award, one of the Department of Justice's highest honors.
- New York Super Lawyers, 2012, 2013
- Recipient, 2005 Attorney General’s John Marshall Award for Operation White Dollar, an international money laundering investigation that led to charges against 35 defendants, asset freezes in multiple countries and forfeiture of $20 million
- Recipient, 2006 Attorney General’s John Marshall Award for the AremisSoft Corp. securities fraud case, which included recovery of $200 million of fraud proceeds after successful litigations in the Isle of Man and in multiple federal courts
- "Abacus Bank's Lawyer: Fannie Mae Earned $120M Profit From Us," Bloomberg Law, June 20, 2012
Latin American Law Blog Posts
- "Second Circuit Affirms Conviction for Unlicensed Money Transmitting Based on Chilean Company's Use of U.S. Bank Accounts," October 6, 2010
New York Commercial Division Round Up Blog Posts
- The W Hotel, May 9, 2012
- A Conversation With the AgenciesNew York Athletic Club, 180 Central Park South, New York, NY 10019, March 10, 2011
- Member, Board of Trustees, New Jersey Repertory Company, a non-profit arts organization based in Long Branch, New Jersey