- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1991, cum laude
- A.B., University of California, Berkeley, 1986 University and Departmental Highest Honors Awarded John Gardner Fellowship for Public Service
- District of Columbia
Laura Jehl is a partner in the Business Trials Practice Group in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. Ms. Jehl specializes in privacy, data security, “Big Data” and technology issues, and serves as Co-Leader of the firm’s Privacy and Cybersecurity Practice. She is also a Co-Leader of the firm’s Blockchain Technology and Digital Currency Practice.
Areas of Practice
Ms. Jehl advises clients in connection with cybersecurity and data breach matters, as well as US and international data privacy, data transfer and “Big Data” issues. Ms. Jehl represents also represents clients on Internet, digital media, and First Amendment matters, including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (“ECPA”), national security- related privacy matters, social media and online games, digital currencies and blockchain technologies, as well as healthcare privacy issues.
Ms. Jehl played a leading role in developing and executing Anthem, Inc.’s response to a major cyberattack in January, 2015, in which hackers accessed the personal information of more than 80 million individuals, and has helped clients respond to other significant data security incidents across a variety of industries. She advises clients on all aspects of data incident response, including working with forensic security consultants and crisis communications firms, conducting internal investigations, interactions with law enforcement, and compliance with data breach notification laws. Ms. Jehl helps Boards and senior executives balance privacy and cybersecurity risks with business opportunities. She also develops incident preparedness strategies and table top exercises to help companies mitigate the risks presented by data breach incidents.
Previously, Ms. Jehl served as General Counsel, Chief Privacy and Security Officer at Resolution Health, Inc., (“RHI”), a healthcare data analytics and personalized communications company, which was acquired by Anthem, Inc., the Fortune 50 health insurer. In addition to serving as RHI’s General Counsel, with responsibility for the company’s legal and privacy matters, Ms. Jehl, who is CIPP/ US certified, assumed responsibility for privacy matters across the Anthem enterprise. At Anthem, Ms. Jehl also served as principal legal counsel for innovative healthcare technology development initiatives.
Earlier, Ms. Jehl served as Vice President and Chief Litigation Counsel at America Online, Inc. (AOL), where she played a formative role in the development of internet law, most notably the Internet Service Provider (ISP) immunity provisions of Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, the development of privacy policies and protections for AOL users, the legal battle against junk email, and achieving, on behalf of AOL subsidiary Netscape, a significant settlement of its “browser-war” antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft. In addition, Ms. Jehl led AOL’s response to a number of high-profile government investigations, including early Federal Trade Commission investigations into privacy matters. Ms. Jehl also played a leading role in gaining US and EU regulatory approval of AOL’s merger with Time Warner in 2000, then the largest corporate merger in history. Ms. Jehl later held a business role as Chief of Staff to AOL’s Vice Chairman, where she was responsible for strategic corporate initiatives and operations involving AOL’s technology development, marketing, legal, corporate communications and HR departments.
Prior to joining AOL, Ms. Jehl was a litigator in private practice in Washington, D.C. She received her B.A. with highest honors in Political Science from the University of California, Berkeley, and her J.D. cum laude from Harvard Law School.
- Facing Evolving Cyberthreats and Crippled by Ransomware Attacks, Can Hospitals Ever Really Be PreparedLorman, January 2017
- Bloomberg BNA Privacy Law Watch Bulletin, January 6, 2017
- Corporate Counsel, December 2016
- Facing Evolving Cyberthreats and Crippled by Ransomware Attacks, Can Hospitals Ever Really Be Prepared?Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, December 7, 2016
- Law360, November 14, 2016
- National Defense, October 2016
- "Hospitality's Move to Mobile Raises Legal Risks"HOTELS Magazine, September 13, 2016
- August 16, 2016
- ALM Media, June 6, 2016
Eye On Privacy Blog Posts
- "FCC Issues New Privacy Rules for Internet Service Providers: Safeguarding Consumers or Lulling Them Into A False Sense of Privacy?," November 1, 2016
- "Espionage and Export Controls: The iPhone Hack Highlights The New World of Warfare," September 1, 2016
- "Six Things You Need to Know Before Collecting Biometric Information," June 2, 2016
- "Let’s Go Crazy: The FTC and FCC Launch “Parallel” Investigations Into Security Updates of Mobile Communications Industry," May 13, 2016
- "NTIA Issues Request for Comments on Policies Related to Cyber Threats Surrounding Internet of Things," May 4, 2016
- "Be Alert: Ransomware Attacks on the Rise," March 28, 2016
- "To Share or Not to Share (with the Government)? That is the Question: DHS Announces Interim Guidelines for Sharing Cyber Threat Indicators," March 1, 2016
Healthcare Law Blog Posts
- "Be Alert: Ransomware Attacks on the Rise," March 28, 2016
Labor & Employment Law Blog Posts
- Privacy Cases To Watch In 2017Law360, January 2, 2017
- Privacy Legislation And Regulation To Watch In 2017Law360, January 2, 2017
- Law360, November 17, 2016
- Complying With New Rules as the FCC Forges Its Role in Privacy and Data SecurityThe Cybersecurity Law Report, November 16, 2016
- Bloomberg BNA, March 29, 2016
- Law360, February 17, 2016
- "Retail in Flux: What You Need to Know About Brexit, the Changing Legal Landscape Regarding Privacy and Data Protection, and US-UK Tools for Online IP Enforcement," Sheppard Mullin New York MCLE Program, September 14, 2016
- "The Panama Papers Threat: Preparation and Response," California State Bar, International Law Section Webinar, August 31, 2016
- "Legal Issues Related to the Sports Industry's Analytics Movement," ABA Webinar, July 27, 2016
- "Cybersecurity," Sheppard Mullin's Third Thursday Emerging Company Webinar, June 16, 2016
- "2016 Update on Cybersecurity Risk Management," Retail's Tectonic Digital Disruption: What Every Retailer Needs to Know to Survive and Compete, Sheppard Mullin New York, June 15, 2016
- "Vacationing on the Dark Web: The Cybersecurity Standards, Laws and Best Practices Hotels and Resorts Need to Know," Sheppard Mullin and Georgetown Law CLE Webinar, April 14, 2016
- Procopio International Tax Institute 2016University of San Diego School of Law, October 20, 2016
- Cybersecurity Vulnerabilities: What Are the Rules of the Road for Finding Them, Sharing Them, and Fixing Them?Sheppard Mullin Washington DC - CLE SeminarSheppard Mullin DC, September 22, 2016
- What You Need to Know About Brexit, the Changing Legal Landscape Regarding Privacy and Data Protection, and US-UK Tools for Online IP EnforcementSeptember 14, 2016
- Member of the Bars of California and the District of Columbia