- J.D., DePaul University College of Law, 1994, Order of the Coif
- B.A., Cornell College, 1990, magna cum laude
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Lisa Martens is a partner in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's San Diego (Del Mar) office.
Areas of Practice
Ms. Martens' practice focuses on the protection and enforcement of brands for clients ranging from start-ups and emerging companies to Fortune 500 corporations. She has particular expertise in the food service, healthcare, e-commerce, semiconductor, sporting goods and retail clothing industries.
Ms. Martens counsels clients on a variety of trademark issues, including the development of U.S. and foreign trademark portfolios, global brand strategy, and licensing. She has also successfully handled numerous domain name disputes in the U.S. and worldwide. In addition, Ms. Martens regularly provides advice on advertising substantiation and rights of publicity and has successfully litigated false advertising and right of publicity cases in federal court.
Ms. Martens has substantial experience bringing and defending enforcement and litigation matters before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB), the National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Council of Better Business Bureaus, and in state and federal district courts related to trademarks, copyrights, unfair competition, anti-counterfeiting, and false advertising.
- Named one of the "Top Attorneys in San Diego," Los Angeles Magazine (2016)
- Managing Intellectual Property “IP Star” (2013-2016) and Top 250 Women in IP (2013, 2016)
- Named a “Metro Mover” by SD Metro magazine (2015)
- World Trademark Review 1000 – California, Enforcement and Litigation (2011-2016)
- Named one of the “Top Women in Southern California,” Los Angeles magazine and Super Lawyers (2014)
- San Diego Super Lawyers Intellectual Property Litigation, Intellectual Property (2007-2016)
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation Intellectual Property (2013-2017)
- Named one of San Diego’s “Top Attorneys” San Diego Daily Transcript (July 2009, July 2012 and July 2013)
- Named “Young Influential” The Daily Transcript (March 2013)
- Named one of San Diego’s “Women Who Mean Business” San Diego Business Journal (November 2011)
- The International Who’s Who for Trademark Attorneys (2011, 2009, 2007)
- Nominated for Athena Pinnacle Award (2008, 2009)
- Finalist, San Diego Business Journal’s 16th Annual Women Who Mean Business Awards (2009)
- Legal 500 US, Intellectual Property, Trademark (2008, 2016)
- Named one of San Diego’s “50 Young Leaders Under 40” San Diego Metropolitan Magazine (September 2007)
- Winner, TWIN Award from the San Diego YWCA (2004)
Evolution Fast Foods, LLC et al. v. Evolution Fresh, Inc. and Starbucks Corporation (2012) Defending Starbucks in a trademark infringement action involving its use of EVOLUTION FRESH for juice bars brought by Evolution Fast Foods, a San Diego vegan fast food restaurant.
Cricket Communications, Inc. v. ABC Wireless Choice (2010) Obtained preliminary injunction for client Cricket in this trademark and false advertising case in the Northern District of Illinois involving the CRICKET mark in connection with Defendant’s cellular stores. Subsequently obtained a permanent injunction and an award of attorneys’ fees.
Cricket Communications, Inc. v. Abid Nazir dba GSM Cellular (2008-2010) Obtained preliminary injunction for client Cricket, enjoining Defendant’s use of the marks CRICKET and KRICKET in connection with his cellular stores. Subsequently obtained victory on the merits on summary judgment as well as an award of all attorneys’ fees expended in the litigation.
BBU, Inc. et al v. Sara Lee Corporation, et al. (2009) Successfully represented BBU in a trademark infringement and unfair competition action relating to its SANDWICH THINS trademark. Obtained a preliminary injunction enjoining Sara Lee’s sale of a competing bread product under the THINS mark. Decision affirmed on appeal by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.
Buzztime Entertainment, Inc. v. Sony Computer Entertainment America, Inc. (2008) Represented Buzztime Entertainment in a trademark infringement and unfair competition action relating to its BUZZTIME trademark. Obtained a favorable settlement for the client.
Cricket Communications, Inc. v. HipCricket, Inc. (2007) Lead counsel for Cricket Communications in a trademark infringement, dilution, unfair competition, and cybersquatting action relating to its CRICKET trademark. Obtained a favorable settlement through mediation shortly before trial.
Callaway Golf Co. v. Akribis Golf Company (2005) Represented Callaway Golf in trademark declaratory judgment case against Akribis involving the name of a golf putter. Akribis’ claims were voluntarily dismissed with prejudice.
Intellectual Property Law Blog Posts
- Sheppard Mullin Adds Ex-Fish & Richardson IP Pro In Calif.Law360, August 6, 2015
- Speaker, "Trademark Year In Review," Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association (LAIPLA) Spring Seminar, Coronado, CA, June 10, 2016
- Moderator, "Pharmaceutical Marijuana Law: Branding, Marketing and Regulatory Issues," International Trademark Association (INTA) Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, May 23, 2016
- Speaker, "Protecting Your Product – IP Issues in the Food and Beverage Industry," ACC San Diego Chapter, San Diego, CA, May 12, 2016
- Speaker, "IP Issues," CLE International’s Food Law Seminar, Washington, D.C., March 17-18, 2016
- Presented by Women in Bio Southern CaliforniaOctober 26, 2016
- Sheppard Mullin's San Diego (Del Mar) Office, May 12, 2016
- CLE International’s Inaugural Food Law Conference - Understanding This Rapidly Evolving Area of the LawRenaissance Downtown • Washington, DC, March 17-18, 2016
- International Trademark Association (INTA), Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee (2014-2016)
- Athena San Diego, Chair, Board of Directors
- American Bar Association
- California Bar Association
- San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association