- J.D., Washington and Lee University - School of Law, 1990, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Lead Articles Editor, Washington & Lee Law Review
- B.A., Virginia Tech, 1987
- District of Columbia
Michael Cohen is a partner with Antitrust and International Competition Practice Group in the firm's San Francisco office.
Areas of Practice
After beginning his career in law enforcement as an Assistant Special Prosecutor, Mr. Cohen has practiced all dimensions of competition law defending multinational clients without borders across continents in business conduct cases and investigations. He is among a short list of lawyers who have successfully defended mergers through trial and appeal in the United States, including serving as co-lead counsel to Western Refining in its acquisition of Giant Industries, which proceeded from complaint through trial in twenty-one days and through appeal in less than fourteen days.
His practice includes concentrated experience representing clients in high tech, software, oil and gas, heavy manufacturing, food processing, broadcast, digital media, and healthcare industries. In addition, he helped pioneer a novel trade regulation practice area bridging environmental organizations and stakeholders with industry in sustainability joint ventures. Chambers USA noted that “he is a well-regarded antitrust practitioner who is credited by clients for being ‘very thoughtful and willing to bounce ideas around.’"
Mr. Cohen is a professor at the Monterey College of Law, where he teaches core curriculum courses in Constitutional Law and Business Organizations. He also hosts the BizLaw and VoiceAmerica network International Business Corner segment of On the Law, a syndicated radio program reaching more than 1,100 stations across the world (including more than 300 across the United States).
- Leading Lawyer, Antitrust and Competition, Chambers USA, 2011-2016
- Antitrust and Competition, Legal 500, 2016
- Leading Lawyer, Antitrust and Competition, GCR
- Law360, November 16, 2015
- August 11, 2016, Legal Challenges for In-House Corporate Counsel (International Crossroads segment of VoiceAmerica's On the Law radio program). Michael Cohen featured Ross Veltman, Executive Director of the Silicon Valley Association of General Counsel to discuss the in-house legal role, and the current issues America’s leading chief legal officers in California face across the vast national and multinational landscape.
- June 30, 2016, Encore: Legal Drones, Illegal Fireworks, and Medical Research - No, not together! (International Crossroads segment of VoiceAmerica's On the Law radio program). Michael Cohen interviewed special guest Nancy Koch, General Counsel to the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, one of the largest private funders of basic research.
- June 6, 2016, International Human Rights Survivors and the Global Mental Health Gap (International Crossroads segment of VoiceAmerica's On the Law radio program). Michael interviewed co-founders of Partnerships for Trauma Recovery - Monika Parikh and Annika Sridharan. Partnerships for Trauma Recovery was launched in response to the tremendous need to address the psychological impacts of human rights abuses among international survivors of human rights abuses.
- May 19, 2016, Law of the Sea'food' (International Crossroads segment of VoiceAmerica's On the Law radio program). Michael discussed the long-term sustainability of global tuna fisheries with special program guest Susan Jackson, President and member of International Seafood Sustainability Foundation, which has grown from a small association of eight global tuna processors into the world’s premier organization advocating long-term sustainability of global tuna fisheries.