- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, 2012; Co-Chair, UCLA Black Law Students Association, 2010-2011; First Place Attorney, UCLA-Akin Gump Trial Advocacy Competition, 2009; Best Attorney, Western Regional Black Law Students Association-Trial Advocacy, 2010-2011
- B.A., University of Southern California, 2009, cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
Mercedes Cook is an associate in the Business Trials Practice Group in the firm's Los Angeles office.
Areas of Practice
Ms. Cook represents clients in a variety of business litigation matters. Her experience includes disputes involving claims of fraud, unfair competition, false advertising, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract and California’s Consumer Legal Remedies Act (CLRA).
Ms. Cook also has experience in both the regulatory and litigation aspects of environmental law. Specifically, Ms. Cook has experience with RCRA permitting requirements and the federal and state rules and regulations governing hazardous waste with regard to air quality. Her work also includes preparation for administrative hearings involving the Department of Toxic Substances Control and litigation involving defending against a petition for an order for abatement before the South Coast Air Quality Management District. Ms. Cook was part of a team of Sheppard Mullin attorneys that successfully obtained a TRO, which prevented the immediate shutdown of a battery recycling facility.
Ms. Cook is an active member of Sheppard Mullin’s Diversity and Inclusion Attorney Network (DIAN), serving as the Firm’s coordinator for the USC Street Law Program, which works with USC law students and high school students to promote a diversity pipeline into the legal field. She is a member of the Firm’s Women Lawyers Group. As a member of the Firm’s Pro Bono Committee, she is involved in Sheppard Mullin’s pro bono efforts, specifically representing adoptive parents in adoption proceedings. Ms. Cook has served as a co-instructor for Sheppard Mullin’s 2013 Summer Trial Advocacy Program.
Corporate & Securities Law Blog Posts
- "Tenth Circuit Looks Past 'General Partnership' Labels in Agreements to Determine Whether Certain Investments Constitute 'Securities'," March 10, 2014
- "Tenth Circuit Finds that Jury Must Determine Whether “Notes Are Securities” in a Securities Fraud Action," October 21, 2013
Eye on Privacy Blog Posts
Real Estate, Land Use & Environmental Law Blog Posts
- "Governor Brown Signs SB 4 Regulating Hydraulic Fracturing Well Stimulation Treatments," October 3, 2013
Video Game Law Blog Posts
- "An Unreasonable Royalty Rate is No Gaming Matter," May 22, 2013
- Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association