- PhD in Law, University of Zurich, Switzerland, 2013
- LL.M., University of Aberdeen, UK, 2009
- Second State Exam, Higher Regional Court of Frankenthal, Germany, 2007
- First State Exam, University of Heidelberg, Germany, 2005
- Düsseldorf, Germany
- Brussels, Belgium
Michael Hofmann is an associate in the Antitrust and Competition Practice Group in the firm's Brussels office.
Areas of Practice
Michael focuses on all aspects of European and German competition law matters. Prior to joining Sheppard Mullin, he was an associate with another international law firm in Brussels. He also worked as a research associate at the Institute of European and International Business Law, University of St.Gallen HSG (Switzerland).
Michael wrote his doctoral thesis in the area of energy competition law and holds a Master of Laws degree (LL.M.) in International Commercial Law from the University of Aberdeen (UK). He is fluent in English in addition to his native German.
- Competition Law Insight, June 7, 2016
- “Review of Electricity Bidding Zones under EU Competition Law”, in: European Networks Law and Regulation, 2015 (with Klotz)
- “EU Law Developments in Network Industries 2014”, in: Netzwirtschaften & Recht, February 2015 (with Klotz)
- “Commitment Decisions in the European Energy Sector – Implementation of Sectorspecific Regulation via Competition Law”, in: European Networks Law and Regulation, 2014
- “EU Law Developments in Network Industries 2013”, in: Netzwirtschaften & Recht, February 2014 (with Klotz)
- “Regulierung und Wettbewerb – Koordinationsmechanismen im europäischen Energiesektor”, 2013 (Dissertation)
- “Verfassungskonform völkerrechtswidrig: Schafft die Schweiz sich aus? - Die Ausschaffungsinitiative im Spannungsverhältnis zwischen Bundesverfassung und Völkerrecht”, in: Schweiz und Europa – Auswirkungen auf Wirtschaft, Recht und Gesellschaft, Schriften der Assistierenden der Universität St.Gallen (HSG), 2011 (with Perez and Bremer)
- “Das hohe Gut der Integrität kartellrechtlicher Untersuchungen - der E.ON Siegelbruchfall”, in: European Law Reporter (ELR) 4/2011 (with Göbel)
- “New Insights into the Evolving World of Energy Law (Conference Report: 4th St.Gallen International Energy Forum 2010)”, in: OGEL 1 (2011); European Law Reporter (ELR) 1/2011; ZNER 15/1/2011
- “European and International Energy Law and Policy: A Crucial Year (Conference Report: 3rd St.Gallen International Energy Forum 2009)”, in: OGEL 4 (2009); European Law Reporter (ELR) 12/2009; ZNER 14/1/2010
- “Relationship between Anti-competitive Practices by »Object« and »Effect« and the Requisite Standard of Proof”, in: European Law Reporter (ELR) 7-8/2009, (with Bremer)