- J.D., University of California, Berkeley
- B.A., Columbia College, Columbia University, cum laude
- Extern to the Honorable Susan Illston, United States District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Courts for the Central, Eastern, and Northern Districts of California
- Ninth Circuit
Meredith Jones-McKeown specializes in construction, environmental, government contracts and real estate litigation and transactions. She is an experienced trial attorney and has also negotiated and structured numerous contracts for complex construction projects.
Areas of Practice
In 2011, 2012, and 2013, Ms. Jones-McKeown was named a "Rising Star" by Northern California Super Lawyers. In 2012, Legal 500 reported that Ms. Jones-McKeown is “[a] very solid construction lawyer with experience beyond her years.” Ms. Jones-McKeown has also been ranked by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business as an "Up and Coming" Lawyer in California Construction, which noted: “[Meredith Jones-McKeown is an] up-and-comer, noted for her tenacity [and] an excellent command over the facts of a case as they apply to the law.”
Ms. Jones-McKeown litigates complex commercial matters, with particular emphasis on litigation arising out of private and public construction projects, real estate disputes, Proposition 65 and environmental clean-up actions. She has successfully tried cases in state and federal court as well as private arbitration.
Ms. Jones-McKeown also drafts and negotiates complex construction contracts, including EPC contracts, design-build contracts, professional/consultant contracts, and modified AIA documents.
- Recognized, Construction Law, Legal 500, 2012, 2014
- Northern California Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2011-2014
- Up and Coming Lawyer in Construction Law, Chambers USA
- Trial counsel in AAA arbitration representing general contractor in claims arising out of delayed construction project. With more than $22 million in dispute, defeated respondent’s $16 million cross-claim and obtained victory (95% recovery) on behalf of claimant. Obtained $1.5 million attorney’s fees award.
- Trial counsel representing manufacturer against CERCLA and NRDA claims in Superfund clean-up action in Oregon.
- Trial counsel in AAA arbitration arising out of termination for default by utility company of EPC contractor on project to construct a power generating facility, resulting in favorable settlement during trial.
- Lead trial counsel representing owner in plaintiff-side disgorgement claim (B&P § 7031) against general contractor. Obtained favorable settlement from insurance carrier immediately prior to ruling on motion for summary judgment. Defeated all affirmative claims.
- Lead trial counsel representing owner defending against non-payment and escalation claims. Obtained summary judgment against all affirmative claims.
- Trial counsel in state court bench trial on multi-million dollar land use dispute, resulting in favorable settlement agreement mid-trial.
- Trial counsel representing public owner against general contractor’s $5 million claims. Obtained terminating sanctions that fully disposed of claims based on general contractor's persistent discovery abuses.
- Lead litigation counsel representing manufacturers and retailers in Proposition 65 matters regarding products containing propoxur, cadmium, or other chemicals.
- Lead litigation counsel representing employers in handing informal conferences and appeals, leading to favorable resolutions of Cal/OSHA citations.
- Trial counsel representing owner in multi-million dollar design and construction defect litigation.
- Drafted complex Engineer-Procure-Construct (EPC) Contract for solar generation facility.
- Drafted architectural and design professional contracts for development of $400 million-plus landmark campus in San Francisco’s Mission Bay.
- Drafted request for proposal and request for qualifications for design and construction of multi-building campus, advised in selection of project team, and drafted all project contracts.
- Drafted and negotiated general contract and architectural and design contracts for $13 million multi-family/mixed-use housing development.
- Drafted general contract and architectural and design contracts for owner in development of $22 million condominium project in San Francisco.
- Drafted short- and long-form contracts on behalf of developer for use in $200+ million redevelopment project utilizing Proposition 1B and 1C bond funds.
Construction & Infrastructure Law Blog Posts
- "Developers May Require That Construction Defect Disputes Be Resolved Through Arbitration," November 19, 2012
- "Two New Laws Create More Design-Build Opportunities for Local Governments and State Agencies," September 2, 2009
Real Estate, Land Use & Environmental Law Blog Posts