- J.D., University of California, Hastings, 2006, Public Interest Concentration
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of California, Irvine, 2000
- B.S., Mathematics, University of California, Irvine, 2000
- United States District Courts for the Northern and Central Districts of California
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Ninth and District of Columbia Circuits
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Mukund Sharma is an associate in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's Palo Alto and San Francisco offices.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Sharma specializes in all areas of intellectual property law, with emphases in patent and other intellectual property litigation, patent prosecution and counseling, and post-grant patent proceedings. Mr. Sharma also has an active pro bono practice and is a member of the Firm’s Pro Bono Committee.
Patent Prosecution and Counseling
Mr. Sharma develops patent portfolios and provides strategic patent counseling for startups, mid-size companies, and large public companies.
Patent and other Litigation
Mr. Sharma supports all stages of patent cases involving electrical, computer, and mechanical technologies.
Mr. Sharma was an Assistant Federal Public Defender for the District of Nevada. Representative work included: Conducting federal pre-trial hearings in federal criminal cases, investigating, researching, and drafting writs of habeas corpus challenging death sentences, and supporting habeas corpus team representing Guantanamo Bay detainee facing death penalty in military court.
Mr. Sharma supports all stages of transactions involving technology companies, particularly transactions involving transfer or management of intellectual property.
Mr. Sharma brings expertise in patent appellate proceedings. Mr. Sharma briefs ex parte appeals before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, and participates in several reexamination and post-grant proceedings, including proceedings related to pending patent litigations.
Representative reexaminations include:
- Inter Partes Reexaminations number 95/001,543; 95/001,546; 95/001,547. Obtained dismissal of Inter Partes reexamination on statutory grounds.
- Ex Parte Reexamination number 90/013,009. Assisted in defeating ex parte reexamination request for maker of airport security and media systems.
Pro Bono Practice
Supported litigating writ of habeas corpus for indigent Florida inmate challenging death sentence.
Supported investigation related to culture of municipal police department.
Electrical Engineering Industry Experience
Worked as an ASIC designer and as a software engineer from 2000-2003 at Unisys Corp.
- "Problems and Solutions: Patent Prosecution Tools for Litigators," 2011 Wint. Fed. Bar I.P. Legal Browser 7
- Co-inventor in United States Patent Number 7,321,992, "Reducing Application Downtime in a Cluster Using User-Defined Rules for Proactive Failover"
- "Taking invention Disclosures Post-Alice," Fundamentals of Patent Prosecution: 2015: A Boot Camp for Claim Drafting and Amendment Writing (Practicing Law Institute (2015).
Intellectual Property Law Blog Posts
- "FTC Proposes Consent Order to Settle Charges Alleging Misrepresentations by Patent Assertion Entity," November 7, 2014
Video Game Law Blog Posts
- "California Repeals Prohibition on Use of Alternative Currencies," January 8, 2015
- "Georgia’s Limited Tax Credits for Interactive Entertainment Producers," April 21, 2014
- "Bargaining with the Little Green Robot: Understanding the Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement," March 28, 2014
- "Bitcoins and Liability in the Wake of Recent Silk Road Arrests," February 7, 2014
- Moderator, "Today’s Interpretation of Computer Laws Developed for a Bygone Age," ABA Criminal Justice Section Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA (2016)
- Faculty Member, "Fundamentals of Patent Prosecution, A Boot Camp for Claim Drafting and Amendment Writing," Practicing Law Institute (2015)
- Moderator, "White Collar Crime Update – Western Region," 28 Annual ABA National Institute on White Collar Crime, Miami, FL (2014)
- Guest Lecturer, "Legal Issues Facing Startups," Stanford Business 110 (Winter 2016, Fall 2015, Fall 2014, Fall 2013, Fall 2011)
- Guest Lecturer, "Restorative Themes in Criminal Justice," Western Justice Center, Pasadena, CA (Aug. 21, 2009)
- Co-Chair of ABA White Collar Crime Subcommittee on Computer Crime, Intellectual Property, and Trade Secrets
- Member of Sheppard Mullin's Pro Bono Committee
- Associate Representative for Sheppard Mullin’s Palo Alto Office
- California Bar, Intellectual Property Section