Foreign Language Bio
- LL.B., Law School of Shanghai Institute of Foreign Trade
- National Bar Exam
- Non-practicing People’s Republic of China attorney
- Mandarin Chinese
Michael Zhang is a Special Counsel in the Corporate Practice Group, Antitrust Practice Group and the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's Shanghai office. He has a deep understanding of China’s legal system and business practices.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Zhang has broad experience in the areas of corporate law, antitrust law and intellectual property law in China.
He has represented many U.S. and European clients in a wide range of industries with respect to their mergers and acquisitions, joint venture projects and operations in China and Asia regions, including pharmaceutical, internet technology, automobile, diesel engine, material hi-tech, telecommunication and software sectors.
With extensive knowledge of international business transactions, Mr. Zhang has represented Chinese leading domestic companies in their outbound equity and asset transactions outside Mainland China, in the industries of pharmaceutical, e-commerce and green technology.
With rich knowledge of China’s and other East Asian countries’ antitrust laws, Mr. Zhang counsels U.S. and international clients, as well as Chinese local companies on international and PRC antitrust issues. He has extensively reviewed, written articles on, and advised clients regarding China’s first Anti-Monopoly Law with respect to pre-merger control, price fixing and monopolistic agreement issues.
Mr. Zhang is experienced with IP licensing, IP due diligence and corporate IP protection within M&A transactions and joint venture projects. He also has expertise with the protection of his client’s IP rights against counterfeiting and piracy in China.
Represented a leading Chinese pharmaceutical group in its equity investment transactions in the US and European countries.
Represented a leading US pharmaceutical company in its acquisition of a Chinese medical software company.
Represented a leading Chinese e-commerce group in its multiple strategic investment transactions in Asia region.
Represented one of the largest Chinese venture capital investor in a joint venture project with a worldwide leading software company.
Represented a leading Fortune 500 company in the materials industry on its business expansion in China, including advising on franchising strategy and on IP protection.
Represented a world leading car carrier company in establishing series of joint ventures in multiple cities in China.
Represented a leading Fortune 500 company on its M&A business in China and conducted IP due diligence on one of the largest Chinese engine manufacturers.
Represented multiple venture capital funds in their strategic investment transactions in target companies in China and East Asia.
Advised world leading enterprise resource planning company regarding its IP protection in China and designed the company’s internal IP protection policy.
Advised Chinese leading mobile service carrier group regarding global and China antitrust issues of patent pool.
Advised an US cold-warehousing company in setting up its Asian executive employment policies and contractual arrangements.
Advised an US semi-conductor company in its PRC internal investigation of local employee right protection.
- Suggestions On Regulatory Compliance With The New Anti-monopoly Law For Multinational Companies In ChinaChina Law & Practice, October 1, 2007
- China Legal Review, September 1, 2007
Antitrust Law Blog Posts
- "China Hands Milk Producers the Largest Anti-Monopoly Violation Fine," August 19, 2013
- "Qihoo 360 v. Tencent: A Landmark Decision under China's Anti-Monopoly Law," July 22, 2013
- "China's Supreme Court Issues New Rules On Civil Cases Based On Monopolistic Conduct," May 31, 2012
- "China Announces First Administrative Anti-Monopoly Case," August 22, 2011
- "Chinese Authorities Reject Coke-HuiYuan Acquisition Deal," May 13, 2009
- "Chinese Pre-Merger Notifications: Anti-monopoly Bureau of MOFCOM Plans to Launch Series of New Rules," March 6, 2009
- "China's New Merger Rules," August 15, 2008
- "Private Civil Lawsuits Under China Anti-Monopoly Law," April 7, 2008
- "The Current Anti-Monopoly System of China and Impact of New Anti-Monopoly Law," November 14, 2007
- "Covenant Not to Sue and Its Technology Monopoly Impact," June 6, 2007
- "China Premerger Notification Rules," May 7, 2007
China Law Blog Posts
- Speaker, “On Your Way to China? – Basic ABCs for Corporate Investment in China," Korea In-house Counsel Association, Seoul, Republic of Korea, October 2014