- Jonathan S. Aronie
- Shaunna E. Bailey
- Gregory P. Barbee
- Joseph D. Barton
- Townsend L. Bourne
- Bruce J. Casino
- John W. Chierichella
- Joseph F. Coyne, Jr.
- Bryan D. Daly
- Curtis M. Dombek
- David L. Douglass
- Melissa K. Eaves
- David S. Gallacher
- David F. Geneson
- Christopher E. Hale
- Bethany Hengsbach
- Scott E. Hennigh
- Mark L. Jensen
- Charles L. Kreindler
- Christopher M. Loveland
- Edward B. Lozowicki
- J. Scott Maberry
- Alexander W. Major
- Paul Malingagio
- Thaddeus Rogers McBride
- Greggory B. Mendenhall
- Fatema K. Merchant
- Peter Morris
- Anthony Navid Moshirnia
- Pamela J. Naughton
- Kenneth A. O'Brien, Jr.
- Stephen J. O'Neil
- Cheryl Palmeri
- Anne Bluth Perry
- Bora P. Rawcliffe
- Kandace A. Rayos
- Matthew L. Riemer
- Ryan E. Roberts
- Robert D. Rose
- Scott F. Roybal
- W. Bruce Shirk
- Keith R. Szeliga
- Mary E. Tarduno
- Barbara E. Taylor
- Franklin C. Turner
- Louis D. Victorino
- Brian D. Weimer
- Reid Whitten
Government Contracts, Investigations & International Trade
Sheppard Mullin provides a full range of legal services to clients that do business with governmental entities. We advise clients on complying with complex government regulations and defending them in the event of litigation. We specialize in handling government contract disputes, bid protests, claims and defending individuals and corporations in a wide range of administrative, civil and criminal proceedings, including fraud investigations and whistle blower lawsuits. Sheppard Mullin also has the ability to serve clients in such areas as legislative advocacy, public relations and other related fields. Recently, Chambers & Partners annual guide to America's leading business lawyers recognized the Government Contracts practice on a national level. The Government Contracts Practice Group also recently received the Silver Award for Best USA Law Firm in the category of Regulatory & Public Procurement at the International Legal Alliance Awards.
Our attorneys have represented clients in proceedings before the federal courts, including the Court of Federal Claims; a broad array of administrative tribunals, including the GAO and ASBCA; federal agencies such as the DOD, EPA, DOE, GSA, DOT and CFIUS; state courts; and state, regional and local agencies such as California's Coastal, Energy and Public Utilities Commissions, to name only a few. Sheppard Mullin serves a broad base of clients in the aerospace & defense, high technologies, electronics, healthcare, transportation, power and utilities industries. Although we typically litigate before federal district courts, the Court of Federal Claims and Boards of Contract Appeals, we have also represented clients before the full spectrum of both federal and state agencies and departments.Specialized False Claims Litigation
Sheppard Mullin has developed special expertise and has received national recognition for handling qui tam False Claims Act ("FCA") matters. The FCA continues to be one of the most heavily litigated areas in federal and state courts. These matters are complex, requiring a high level of expertise and specialization. Sheppard Mullin's attorneys are among the nation's leading qui tam FCA specialists, with strong ties to top tier government contractors. Sheppard Mullin has substantial trial experience including the successful defense of two FCA actions in federal district court, where the Justice Department prosecuted the cases. We have experience defending FCA cases pertaining to a wide variety of government contract issues such as defective parts or products, false tests and inspections or certifications, labor and material mischarging, product substitution, defective pricing and nonconformance to contract specifications.
Other Contract Disputes, Advice and Counsel
Sheppard Mullin provides day-to-day counseling to corporations relating to a myriad of government contract issues. We advise clients and handle contract disputes in the following areas:
- Federal and state procurement
- Contract claims and terminations
- Prime and subcontractor disputes
- Compliance programs
- Internal investigations
- Government and internal audits
- Voluntary or self disclosures
- Bid protests
- Debarment and suspension proceedings
- Cost accounting standards
- Quality assurance programs
We advise clients on joint venture and teaming arrangements, as well as in the formation of performance and subcontractor agreements. We assist in developing bids and proposals that adhere to government requirements and standards, as well as in protesting contract awards before tribunals and the traditional court system. We also have substantial experience in handling sensitive internal investigations related to possible violations of federal statutes and regulations.
Sheppard Mullin counsels clients that do business in industries that are closely regulated by the government, such as aerospace and defense, high technologies, healthcare, pharmaceutical, biotech, electronics, utilities, financial services, transportation and research corporations, among others. We also have experience representing these entities in administrative and judicial challenges to federal and state agency decisions, rule making and investigations.
U.S. agencies have increased enforcement actions over the last several years, with particular emphasis on violations of U.S. regulations barring the unauthorized export (and re-export) of items of the Munitions List and technical data and defense services to non-U.S. persons. We have also observed increased attention paid to the anti-boycott and embargo regulations, as well as the laws governing the retention of foreign sales agents.
Sheppard Mullin advises both U.S. and foreign clients on all of these new challenges resulting from increased national security. We advise on the wide range of compliance and enforcement issues relating to the export and re-export regulations administered by the Departments of Commerce and State, as well as the economic sanctions rules of the Treasury Department. Our export controls expertise ranges from complex export licensing issues to trade embargoes, to advice and representation of companies employing foreign sales agents.
Corporate Compliance Programs
Our attorneys are experts in conducting assessments of corporate compliance programs intended to satisfy applicable statutory and regulatory requirements. Sheppard Mullin has years of experience in the design, development, establishment and implementation of corporate compliance plans. These plans have become an integral part of numerous government related industries including defense, financial institutions and healthcare, to name only a few.
- Partners Bryan Daly and Bethany Hengsbach Recognized Among 2013 Main Justice Best FCPA Lawyers
- Thirty-Four Sheppard Mullin Attorneys Ranked as Chambers' Leading Lawyers, 2012
- Partner John Chierichella Named Among "Washington's Best Lawyers"
- Partner Bryan Daly Named Among Daily Journal's Top 100
- Chambers & Partners Ranks Sheppard Mullin In 2011
- Chierichella and Klawiter Named 2011 "Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers"
- Thirty-Four Sheppard Mullin Attorneys Ranked as Chambers' Leading Lawyers, 2011
- Forty-Four Sheppard Mullin Attorneys Recognized as 'Southern California Super Lawyers 2011'
- Chambers & Partners Ranks Sheppard Mullin In 2010
- Benchmark Litigation 2011 Recognizes Sheppard Mullin's Litigation Practice
- Fifty-seven Sheppard Mullin Attorneys Named 2011 "Best Lawyers in America"
- Twenty-Eight Sheppard Mullin Attorneys Ranked as Chambers' Leading Lawyers, 2010
- Sheppard Mullin Partners Named "Washington's Top Lawyers 2009"
- Sheppard Mullin Ranked Among the Best Litigation Firms in California by Benchmark Litigation 2010
- Fifty-one Sheppard Mullin Partners Named 2010 "Best Lawyers in America"
- Chierichella Named A "Top Washington Government Contracts Lawyer" By The Washington Business Journal
- Twenty-Seven Sheppard Mullin Attorneys Ranked as Chambers' Leading Lawyers, 2009
- Forty-Seven Sheppard Mullin Attorneys Recognized as 'Southern California Super Lawyers 2009'
- Sheppard Mullin's Government Contracts and Entertainment, Media and Technology Practices Received Top Rankings From Chambers USA, 2008
- Sheppard Mullin's Government Contracts and Entertainment, Media and Technology Practices Received Top Rankings From Chambers USA, 2007
- Chambers USA Recognized Sheppard Mullin's Government Contracts Practice, 2006
- ABA Health Law Section Chair Joins Sheppard Mullin's Government Contracts, Investigations & International Trade and Healthcare Practices
- Litigation Partner Bruce Casino Joins Sheppard Mullin's Washington, D.C. Government Contracts and Investigations Practice
- Sheppard Mullin Adds International Trade Partner Duo
- Sheppard Mullin Elects Seven Attorneys To Partnership
- International Trade Expert Joins Sheppard Mullin Los Angeles
- Five Attorney Land Use & Government Advocacy Group Joins Sheppard Mullin Los Angeles
January 5, 2010, Law360
October 22, 2009, San Diego Daily Transcript
December 15, 2008, The Deal
October 8, 2007, Legal Times