Bob is a partner in the Corporate Practice Group in the firm’s Del Mar Heights office and is the Co-Chair of the firm's Family Owned and Closely-Held Businesses team.
Areas of Practice
Bob practices in the area of corporate law with an emphasis on corporate finance, securities, real estate and mergers and acquisitions. He also is ready and able to assist business owners seeking a liquidity solution in locating financing and acquisition sources. Bob has served as an expert witness in several litigations involving complex business, partnership and tax disputes. Bob also holds a certificate from the National Conflict Resolution Center in advanced mediation and is available to mediate complex pre-litigation and litigated matters.
- Bob has been listed in the national legal directory, The Best Lawyers in America every year since 1987, and in the Best Lawyers in San Diego (San Diego Magazine, April 2001-2014 editions). He was named a Super Lawyer for San Diego (2007-2015).
Bob has extensive experience in representing and advising individual owners and the boards of directors and executive leadership of companies concerning corporate governance and corporate law and real estate law transactions.
He has led numerous corporate finance, recapitalization and initial public offering transactions. He has extensive experience and expertise in representing targets, as well as strategic and financial buyers in mergers and acquisition transactions both within the U.S. as well as in Europe, the Middle East and Asia.
Bob’s clients cross over many industries, from start-ups to seasoned businesses:
- Defense and Aerospace
- Energy and Cogeneration Projects
- Entertainment and Media
- Food Service and Hospitality
- Medical Instrumentation
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Onshore and Offshore Industrial Manufacturing
- Private Universities
- Service Businesses
- Software and Hardware Development
- Venture Capital and Private Equity
Bob acted as outside general counsel for the 1995 defense of the America’s Cup and is on the firm team representing the City of San Francisco which is hosting the 2013 America’s Cup. Bob also is advising USA45 Racing LLC, which was one of the two US teams entered in the Red Bull Youth America's Cup which was held in conjunction with the 2013 America's Cup event in San Francisco in late summer, 2013.
His plus four decades as a practicing attorney in San Diego makes Bob a readily available resource for information and connections to entrants into the San Diego County and Imperial County business communities.
- He jointly authored the chapter on Mergers in Drafting Agreements for Sale of Businesses (California Continuing Education of the Bar); participated in the preparation of the California State Bar Business Law Section Corporation Guide, and the ABA Business Law Section Manual on Acquisition Review, Model Stock Purchase and Model Asset Purchase Agreements. He has lectured and written on various subjects related to mergers and acquisitions, real estate and corporate law. He has served on the California State Bar Business Law Section Committee on Corporations and the ABA Business Law Section Committee on Negotiated Acquisitions.
- "Ready or Not, the Revised Uniform Limited Liability Company Act Is Now the Law in California," California Real Property Journal, June 2014
- "Calif.'s New LLC Act Needs Clarification," Law360, August 26, 2013
Corporate & Securities Law Blog Posts
- Frequent speaker on corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions and liquidity planning topics for the Association for Corporate Growth, business seminars and the Mergers & Acquisitions Committee, Business Law Section, American Bar Association.
- Current Memberships:
- California State Bar
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Mergers & Acquisitions Committee, Business Law Section, American Bar Association
- Current Non-Profit Affiliations:
- Founder, President and Board Member, Thomas C. Ackerman Foundation
- Board Member, San Diego Yacht Club Sailing Foundation
- Board Member, Any Body Can Youth Foundation
- Co-Chair, Advisory Board, Scripps Clinic - Scripps Green Hospital
- Board Member, Sailing Events Association of San Diego