Foreign Language Bio
- J.D., University of San Francisco, 1984
- B.B.A., University of Hawaii, 1980
- Honorable Lloyd King, United States Bankruptcy Judge, 1984-1985
- Honorable Cameron Wolfe, United States Bankruptcy Judge, 1986-1987
- United States District Court, District of Hawaii
Russell Leu is a special counsel in the Corporate Practice Group, residing in the firm's Beijing office. His clients are primarily located in China and the Pacific region. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Leu was the managing attorney and Chief Representative of the Beijing office of a major U.S. law firm and also established his own law practice in the state of Hawaii.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Leu has a unique practice and considerable experience handling both international, corporate and cross-border transactions related to a PRC inbound practice as well as advising clients on U.S. corporate and real estate matters. Because he is U.S. qualified and licensed to practice law in Hawaii and has considerable experience at handling corporate, financing and real estate matters in the U.S., he routinely assists outbound and international clients with their U.S. interests. He is also admitted to appear in the U.S. courts, including the Hawaii state courts and the U.S. District Court.
Mr. Leu's practice includes corporate, real estate, banking and finance, litigation, insolvency and real estate matters. He represents major national and local financial institutions, real estate companies and corporate clients.
Mr. Leu is an active member of the Hawaii State Bar Association and served on the board of the Bankruptcy Law Section of the Hawaii State Bar Association. In addition, he authored numerous articles in the Hawaii State Bar Journal. He frequently speaks at Hawaii State Bar events relating to China outbound investment activity.
Mr. Leu clerked for the Honorable Lloyd King, currently United States Bankruptcy Judge, District of Hawaii. He is currently active with the International Section of the American Bar Association as he is Co-Chair for the 2013 Antitrust Conference in Beijing, China.
China Law Blog Posts
- "More Transparency- New Enterprise Information Disclosure Rules Take Effect," October 13, 2014
- "Creditors’ Rights Clarified By Interpretation II of the Supreme People’s Court on Several Issues Concerning the Application of the Enterprise Bankruptcy Law of the People’s Republic of China," December 16, 2013
- "China's First-Ever National Standard on Data Privacy - Best Practices for Companies in China on Managing Data Privacy," June 13, 2013
- "Employers Beware-Newly Issued Judicial Interpretation Resolves Ambiguity Under The Criminal Law For Failure To Pay Wages," January 30, 2013
- Co-Chair, China Committee, International Section, American Bar Association, 2010-present
- Senior Co-Editor, ABA China Law Reporter, 2007-2012
- Hawaii State Bar Association