- J.D., University of California, Hastings, Articles Editor, Hastings Business Law Journal
- Licentiate in Law, Damascus University, (J.D. equivalent)
- B.A., California State University, Fullerton, summa cum laude
- Full-Time Extern for the Honorable Maxine M. Chesney, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern District Courts of California
Robert Sahyan is an associate in the Finance & Bankruptcy Practice Group in the firm's San Francisco office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Sahyan’s practice focuses on commercial law with emphasis in lending transactions, real estate and insolvency matters. His lending experience includes unsecured loans and loans secured by various types of collateral such as real estate, aircraft, vessel, and personal property. His insolvency practice focuses on business bankruptcies, representing various parties before the bankruptcy court, including debtors, committees, creditors, trustees and purchasers of assets out of bankruptcy.
- Represented lender in the refinance of a $33 million mortgage loan secured by hotel properties in Philadelphia and Georgia.
- Documented a $30.4 million mortgage loan secured by office building in Pasadena, California.
- Represented lender in a $15 million revolving credit facility secured by aircraft.
- Represented lender in a $105 million mortgage financing to multiple borrowers secured by real estate in California, Washington, and Colorado.
- Represented purchaser in the acquisition of a portfolio of mortgage loans secured by fractional interests in various resorts located in the U.S. and Mexico.
- Represented lender in a $34.7 million mortgage loan secured by a commercial building in the media district in Burbank, California.
- Represented agent and co-lender in a $105 million syndicated loan secured by ships, stock pledge, intellectual property, and related personal property.
- Represented seller of a portfolio of real estate lots in a bulk sale transaction, following representation of seller as lender acquiring the portfolio in deed in lieu of foreclosure transaction.
Chapter 11 Debtor Cases
- Represent Vail Lake Rancho California, LLC and five affiliates in their chapter 11 bankruptcy cases pending in the Southern District of California.
- Represented Peak Broadcasting, LLC (radio broadcasting company) and its affiliates in their Chapter 11 cases before the Delaware bankruptcy court, in connection with confirmation of their prepackaged reorganization plan.
- Represented MMFX Technologies Corporation (producer of nanotechnology steel) and its affiliates in their Chapter 11 cases, in connection with litigation and reorganization pursuant to chapter 11 plan involving debt-for-equity exchange.
- Represented The Billing Resource dba Integretel (billing aggregator) in its Chapter 11 case, in connection with litigation, reorganization, and sale of assets.
- Represented Humboldt Creamery, LLC (a dairy producer) as debtor in Chapter 11 case, involving successful sale of substantially all assets under section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code and confirmation of Chapter 11 plan.
- Represented Diablo Grande Limited Partnership (real estate Developer), debtor in Chapter 11 case involving sale of assets and confirmation of liquidating plan.
Chapter 11 Committee Cases
- Represented the creditors’ committee of Siliken Manufacturing, Inc. and Siliken USA, Inc. (solar energy company).
- Represented the creditors’ committee of Meridian Sports Clubs California, LLC et al., (operator of fitness clubs in California, Hawaii and Nevada).
- Represented the official committee of unsecured creditors in the Chapter 11 case of Doyle D. Heaton and Mary K. Heaton (real estate developer).
- Represented official committee of equity security holders of Tvia, Inc. (semiconductor publicly-traded company), in connection with appointment of Chapter 11 trustee and thereafter confirmation of reorganization plan involving de-listing of company’s stock and going-private transaction.
- Represented Chapter 11 Trustee in In re Ramesh and Sina Akhtarzad, in the Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California.
- Represented bank in adversary case alleging harm from failure to foreclose and obtained dismissal.
- Defended a provider of electronic transaction processing services against motion for sanctions for automatic stay violation related to debt collection.
- Represented an international express mail service provider in the defense against a $17.5 million preference claim and in the successful settlement of the action.
- "The Ninth Circuit Holds that Bankruptcy Courts Have Authority to Recharacterize Debt as Equity," Finance & Bankruptcy Law Blog, May 14, 2013
- "Dead Zone? Direct claims by Creditors of a California Corporation May Not Lie Against Management Based on Management's Allegedly Shifting Duties When Corporation Is in the Zone of Insolvency or Even Insolvent," Finance & Bankruptcy Law Blog, August 25, 2010
- "When Are Goods Received For The Purpose Of Asserting Administrative Priority Status Under Section 503(b)(9) Of The Bankruptcy Code?" Finance & Bankruptcy Law Blog, May 6, 2010, (Also published on Bankruptcy Law360)
- "Equitable Subordination of a Creditor's Secured Claim when such Secured Creditor is, itself, in Bankruptcy," Finance & Bankruptcy Law Blog, February 18, 2010
- The Myth of the Zone of Insolvency, Production Resources Group v. NCT Group, Hastings Business Law Journal, Vol. 3, No. 1 (Fall 2006)
- State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Bay Area Bankruptcy Forum
- Turnaround Management Association