- J.D., University of California, Hastings, Articles Editor, Hastings Business Law Journal
- Licentiate in Law, Damascus University, (J.D. equivalent)
- B.A., California State University, Fullerton, summa cum laude
- Full-Time Extern for the Honorable Maxine M. Chesney, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern District Courts of California
Robert Sahyan is an associate in the Finance & Bankruptcy Practice Group in the firm's San Francisco office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Sahyan's areas of practice include bankruptcy, creditor rights, commercial lending, and loan workout and restructuring matters. His bankruptcy practice focuses on business bankruptcies, representing various parties before the bankruptcy court, including debtors, committees, creditors, trustees and purchasers of assets out of bankruptcy. His commercial transactional practice includes real estate and asset-based lending, purchase and sale transactions, and commercial leasing matters. Mr. Sahyan's workout experience includes loan modifications, receivership actions, deeds in lieu of foreclosure, and real property and UCC foreclosures.
- Represent the official joint committee of unsecured creditors of Siliken Manufacturing and Siliken USA (solar energy company).
- Represented petitioning creditors of gas station operator in involuntary chapter 7 case.
- Defended a provider of electronic transaction processing services against motion for sanctions for automatic stay violation related to debt collection.
- Represented an international express mail service provider in the defense against a $17.5 million preference claim and in the successful settlement of the action.
- Represented Peak Broadcasting, LLC (radio broadcasting company) and its affiliates in their Chapter 11 cases before the Delaware bankruptcy court, in connection with confirmation of their prepackaged reorganization plan.
- Represented MMFX Technologies Corporation (producer of nanotechnology steel) and its affiliates in their Chapter 11 cases, in connection with litigation and reorganization pursuant to Chapter 11 plan involving debt-for-equity exchange.
- Represented official committee of equity security holders of Tvia, Inc. (semiconductor publicly-traded company), in connection with appointment of Chapter 11 trustee and thereafter confirmation of reorganization plan involving de-listing of company's stock and going-private transaction.
- Represented Humboldt Creamery, LLC (a dairy producer) as debtor in Chapter 11 case, involving successful sale of substantially all assets under section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code and confirmation of Chapter 11 plan.
- Represented the official committee of unsecured creditors in the Chapter 11 case of Doyle D. Heaton and Mary K. Heaton (real estate developer).
- Represented The Billing Resource dba Integretel (billing aggregator) in its Chapter 11 case, in connection with litigation, reorganization, and sale of assets.
- Represented Diablo Grande Limited Partnership (real estate developer), debtor in Chapter 11 case involving sale of assets and confirmation of liquidating plan.
- Represented lender in structuring, negotiating and documenting a $30.4 million loan secured by an office building located in Pasadena, California.
- Represented lender in structuring, negotiating and documenting the refinancing of a $34.7 million loan secured by a commercial building and related personal property located in the media district in Burbank, California.
- Represented lender in connection with the refinancing of a $104.9 million loan secured by a portfolio of office buildings and related personal property located in Los Angeles and Burbank, California.
- Represented agent lender in connection with a $105 million syndicated loan secured by borrower assets including ship vessels, stock pledge, intellectual property, and related personal property.
- Represented seller of real estate portfolio in a bulk sale transaction that included undeveloped lots located in several states, following representation of seller as lender acquiring the portfolio in a deed in lieu of foreclosure transaction.
- "The Ninth Circuit Holds that Bankruptcy Courts Have Authority to Recharacterize Debt as Equity," Finance & Bankruptcy Law Blog, May 14, 2013
- "Dead Zone? Direct claims by Creditors of a California Corporation May Not Lie Against Management Based on Management's Allegedly Shifting Duties When Corporation Is in the Zone of Insolvency or Even Insolvent," Finance & Bankruptcy Law Blog, August 25, 2010
- "When Are Goods Received For The Purpose Of Asserting Administrative Priority Status Under Section 503(b)(9) Of The Bankruptcy Code?" Finance & Bankruptcy Law Blog, May 6, 2010, (Also published on Bankruptcy Law360)
- "Equitable Subordination of a Creditor's Secured Claim when such Secured Creditor is, itself, in Bankruptcy," Finance & Bankruptcy Law Blog, February 18, 2010
- The Myth of the Zone of Insolvency, Production Resources Group v. NCT Group, Hastings Business Law Journal, Vol. 3, No. 1 (Fall 2006)
- State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Bay Area Bankruptcy Forum
- Turnaround Management Association