- J.D., University of San Diego School of Law, 2002, magna cum laude
- B.A., University of California, San Diego, 1998, cum laude
Robert L. Wernli, Jr. is a special counsel in the Corporate Practice Group in the firm's San Diego (Del Mar) office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Wernli specializes in corporate and securities law and has worked on numerous public and private capital raising transactions, mergers and acquisitions (buy-side and sell-side) and other strategic transactions. Mr. Wernli has also regularly advised clients on all aspects of SEC reporting and listing exchange compliance matters, corporate governance and general corporate law matters.
Public Offerings and PIPE Transactions
- Represented Parametric Sound Corporation (NASDAQ:PAMT) in $5 million registered direct offering off Form S-3 shelf registration statement
- Represented Bridgepoint Education, Inc. (NYSE:BPI) in $141.8 million initial public offering
- Represented Clean Energy Fuels Corp (NASDAQ:CLNE) in $120 million initial public offering.
- Represented SpaceDev, Inc., MicroIslet, Inc., American Technology Corporation, Open Energy Corporation and KfX, Inc. in numerous PIPE transactions.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented controlling shareholders of XYPRO Technology Corporation in management buyout transaction
- Represented Parametric Sound Corporation (NASDAQ:PAMT) in merger with VTB Holdings, Inc. (Voyetra Turtle Beach)
- Represented National Technical Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:NTSC) in acquisition by the Aurora Group
- Represented Keolis Transit America, Inc. in divestiture of subsidiary Limousines of South Florida, Inc. to Transportation America, Inc.
- Represented Universal Services of America in recapitalization and equity investment by Partners Group
- Represented Universal Protection Service, a division of Universal Services of America, in its acquisition of Protection Plus Security Corporation
- Represented Universal Protection Service, a division of Universal Services of America, in its acquisition of Wexler Enterprises, Inc. (Summit Security)
- Represented Celerity Partners in acquisition of Meridien Research, Inc. and Insearch.net, Inc.
- Represented Clean Energy Fuels Corp. in acquisition of McCommas Bluff landfill gas processing facility.
- Represented Overland Storage, Inc. in acquisition of Snap Server NAS Business from Adaptec, Inc.
- Represented OMNI Life Science, Inc. in acquisition of Apex Surgical, LLC
- Represented SpaceDev, Inc. in acquisition of Starsys, Inc.
- Representative clients have included Parametric Sound Corporation, Bridgepoint Education, Inc., Clean Energy Fuels Corp., Overland Storage, Inc., SpaceDev, Inc., Axesstel, Inc., American Technology Corporation and MicroIslet, Inc.
- The Deal: Law, June 1, 2016
- Law 360, May 31, 2016
Corporate & Securities Law Blog Posts
- "Rule 504 Becomes Useful Tool for Smaller Capital Raising and M&A Transactions," November 28, 2016
- "FAST Act Speeds-Up Raising Capital," December 21, 2015
- "Recent SEC Enforcement Actions Highlight Importance of Robust Insider Trading Compliance Policies," December 5, 2014
- "SEC Eliminates the Prohibition on General Solicitation for Rule 506 and Rule 144A Offerings," July 12, 2013
- Member, State Bar of California