- J.D., New York Law School, 2006
- B.A., The George Washington University, 2001
- Honorable Lisa Margaret Smith, United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2010-2012
- New York
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
Shawn Fabian is an attorney in the Labor and Employment Practice Group in the firm's Chicago and New York offices.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Fabian has extensive experience in all areas of labor and employment law, with an emphasis on employment-related litigation and proactive counseling of management-side clients. He regularly represents clients before federal and state courts across the country, AAA and JAMS arbitrators, FINRA, the NLRB, the EEOC, and federal and state labor departments.
Mr. Fabian’s litigation experience includes defense of class and collective actions, multi-plaintiff, and single plaintiff cases, including discrimination, retaliation, and harassment claims, wage and hour claims, and whistleblower actions. His experience also includes prosecuting and defending actions involving the enforcement of restrictive covenants and non-competes, as well as unfair competition, employee raiding, and trade secret claims.
In addition to his litigation experience, Mr. Fabian regularly counsels domestic and international clients on such matters as the preparation and administration of personnel policies and related materials, reductions-in-force, executive and employee discipline and discharge, disability and leaves of absence, independent contractor agreements, general legal compliance with anti-discrimination and anti-retaliation laws, and human resources strategies.
Mr. Fabian is well-versed in conducting complex internal investigations on behalf of clients, and in responding to inquiries from various institutions, including the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) and the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). He conducts interactive trainings on issues such as recruitment, workplace behavior, discipline, and general legal compliance.
Mr. Fabian joined the firm after serving as Chief Counsel for Labor and Employee Relations for a nationally recognized teaching hospital in New York City.
- “Beyond Patient Care: Criminal Record Background Checks," presented to the Greater New York Association of Healthcare Recruiters, February, 2015
- “You Found WHAT on Her Facebook Page: Social Media’s Role in Recruitment," presented to the Greater New York Association of Healthcare Recruiters, September, 2015
- September 10, 2015
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Member, Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys