- J.D., New York University, 1982, Articles Editor, Journal of Int'l Law and Politics
- B.A., Lehigh University, 1978, high honors, Phi Beta Kappa
- London School of Economics (Junior Year Abroad, 1976-1977)
- District of Columbia
- New York
Scott Lochner is a special counsel in the Los Angeles office where he specializes in mergers and acquisitions, transactional intellectual property matters and international transactions.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Lochner is an advisor to clients ranging from family-owned businesses to multi-national corporations in many diverse industries such as consumer goods, healthcare, high tech and computers, construction, the hospitality industry and automobile dealerships. His principal areas of practice include general corporate law, mergers and acquisition transactions, contractual matters (including all types of licensing and distribution arrangements), the protection and commercialization of all types of intellectual property and general business counseling.
- Media, Technology and Telecoms, Legal 500, 2015
Selected Merger and Acquisition Transactions
GameTrailers, LLC - Lead counsel in the sale of this privately-held Los Angeles-based company, a leading producer and aggregator of broadband video game related content, to MTV Networks, a unit of Viacom, Inc.
Mars Enterprises / Jemstone Builders - Lead counsel in the sale of these privately-held Orange-County-based companies, which marketed and installed customized replacement home windows and solar heating units, to Beartree Partners, LLC.
Sunrise Electric Supply, Inc. - Lead counsel in the sale of this Chicago-based electric equipment wholesaler to Ancor Capital Partners.
Cosco Industries, Inc. - Represented this Illinois-based manufacturer and marketer of marking devices (primarily stamps), in its sale to Personalized Business Products, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Taylor Corporation.
Groupex Financial Corporation - Co-lead counsel in connection with the sale of this privately-held Southern California-based global money transfer payment processor to Coinstar, Inc.
Bell Industries, Inc. - Represented this Indiana-based public company in multiple transactions, including its acquisition of SkyTel from Verizon Communications, Inc. and in its asset sale transactions with Bourns, Inc., Velocita Wireless, and Skyguard, LLC.
Blue Ribbon Baking, Inc. / Buena Vista Food Products, Inc. - Represented these privately-held Los Angeles-based companies in their sale to Sterling Foods, a company organized and funded by ICV Capital Partners.
C & C California, Inc. - Represented this leading Los Angeles-based fashion apparel company in its sale to Liz Claiborne, Inc.
Progressive Healthcare Systems, LLC - Represented this medical management services organization together with Community Medical Group of the West Valley, Inc. and Community Medical Group of the West Valley in their sale to Lakeside Healthcare Systems, LLC, Lakeside Medical Group, Inc. and Lakeside Medical Associates, a Medical Group, Inc., forming the largest healthcare provider group of its type in Southern California.
Shabby Chic - Represented this leading home products company in its sale to Brand Sense Partners, LLC.
Selected Intellectual Property Transactions
Hilton Hotels Corporation - Represented this leading hospitality company in numerous intellectual property transactions, including with regard to online websites, software licensing and wireless hardware deployment.
True Religion Apparel, Inc. - Acted as principal intellectual property counsel to this leading global lifestyle and apparel company in connection with matters involving international manufacturing agreements, international distribution agreements, “laundry” agreements, embroidery agreements, and assisted with contracts expanding the brand internationally and extending the brand into other product areas.
Sonus Networks, Inc. - Acted as principal intellectual property counsel for this international provider of telecommunications and wireless infrastructure products and services.
Rock and Republic Enterprises, Inc. - Acted as principal intellectual property counsel to this leading global lifestyle and apparel company in matters involving domestic and international manufacturing and distribution agreements, website development agreements, and assisted to extend the brand into cosmetics and eyewear among other new product lines.
Janus et Cie - Represented this privately-held Southern California-based high-end outdoor furniture company in OEM contracts with European furniture designers.
Ligos Corporation - Acted as principal intellectual property counsel to this Northern California-based software company in preparing and negotiating scores of software license agreements with major U.S. and foreign computer software and hardware companies.
Selected International Transactions
Kuraya (USA) Corporation - Incorporated this Southern-California-based subsidiary of Medipal Holdings Corporation, currently one of the largest pharmaceutical wholesalers in Japan, over 20 years ago, and represented it (and at times its parent company directly) in the purchase and sale of numerous companies in the United States, and assisted it most recently in preparing numerous supply and OEM agreements with various companies in China.
NKBIO Co., Ltd. - Represented this Korean client in assisting it to bring its cancer-fighting antigen product to the United States for FDA approval.
Scenerio Design, Inc. - Represented this California-based company in international joint venture transactions.
- Building, Protecting and Expanding a Brand, Law360, June 22, 2011
- Sell-Side and Buy-Side Transaction Tips for Today’s M&A Deals, Aspatore, Advising Clients in Mergers and Acquisitions (Inside the Minds), May 2011
- International Joint Ventures: Get the Global Edge, The M&AAdvisor.com, August 13, 2010
- EARN-OUTS: A Useful Tool in M&A Transactions for Bridging Gaps in Perceptions of Business Value, VC Expert’s Encyclopedia of Private Equity and Venture Capital¸ January 2009
- A Legal Primer on Software Shrink-Wrap, Click-Wrap or Click-to-Accept and Browse-Wrap License Agreements, Intellectual Property Today, December 2003
- Risk Minimization Strategies in Licensing from Entities That Are, or Might Become, Financially Troubled, Intellectual Property and Technology Law Journal, June 2002
- Mergers and Acquisition Basics, Presentation to the California State Bar Annual Meeting, 2011
- Acquisition Agreements: Critical Issues You Need To Know, National Constitutional Center Conferences, 2009
- Drafting Copyright & Trademark Licenses: The Do’s and Don’ts, National Constitutional Center Conferences, 2008
- Former Member, Corporations Committee of the Business Law Section of the State Bar of California (2008-2012)