- J.D., University of Southern California, 2001, Hale Moot Court Honors Program
- B.S., University of Southern California, 1998, magna cum laude
- Externed for Los Angeles County Superior Court Judges Munoz, Ouderkirk, and Polis, 1999
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Eastern, and Northern Districts of California
- Ninth Circuit
Scott Sveslosky is a partner in the Business Trial Practice Group in the firm’s Los Angeles office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Sveslosky’s practice over the past 15 years has taken him around the globe. He is one of the few, if only, attorneys who has stopped a deposition in order to evade capture and incarceration at the hands of corrupt government officials in a third world country.
He represents clients in complex commercial litigation cases and recently concluded the successful representation of the City of Ontario in the high profile case involving the continued control of the Ontario International Airport.
Mr. Sveslosky has been responsible for numerous aspects of business, insurance, antitrust, professional liability, banking, products liability, trade secret, toxic tort and related litigation matters. He has handled several jury trials in business matters involving breach of contract, fraud, and unfair competition. He represents clients in business disputes and claims of breach of fiduciary duties, breach of contract, fraud, tortious interference with business relations, violation of the federal RICO statute, misappropriation of trade secrets, bad faith and related causes of action.
Mr. Sveslosky is actively involved in pro bono work and serves on the board of directors of the Global Hunger Foundation. He is also an adjunct professor at Woodbury University where he teaches a graduate level course in Conflict Resolution and an undergraduate course in Personnel Development and Organizational Culture. In his spare time, Mr. Sveslosky has also served as a technical legal advisor for TV films.
- Secured the return of the Ontario International Airport from the City of Los Angeles back to the City of Ontario
- Obtained summary judgment for London based insurance companies on $25 million claim involving arson, theft, murder, corruption, and bribery.
- Secured dismissal of client in case alleging damage to priceless artwork.
- Obtained summary judgment for insurer in case alleging implied disparagement of goods and services.
- Secured dismissal of client in case alleging failure to pay a claim involving the theft of over $1 million in jewelry.
- Assisted client with claim involving theft of $2 million in fine gold.
- Obtained summary judgment for insurer in case alleging false patent marking.
- Oversaw litigation and trial between two general partners and negotiated leveraged buyout to end the case.
- Recovered millions of dollars in premiums for one of nation’s largest insurance companies and secured multiple dismissals of workers’ compensation claims mishandling allegations.
- Secured dismissal of client in case alleging over $1 million in damage to industrial property.
- Obtained jury verdict in favor of one of the World’s largest consumer product manufacturers against a national discount retail chain.
- Secured dismissal of insurance client in case seeking over $20 million in damages for breach of contract and “bad faith” – dismissal affirmed by Court of Appeal.
- Obtained numerous dismissals by summary judgment or motion to dismiss for several of the nation’s largest insurance companies in cases alleging breach of contract and tortious breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing.
- Pursued several premium fraud cases for California’s largest workers’ compensation insurer and recovered millions of dollars.
- Represented an international pharmaceutical manufacturer in antitrust cases filed in state and federal courts in more than half the states across the US.
- Represented client in eminent domain case brought by LAUSD.
- Obtained favorable result for client against former employees for misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Obtained dismissal of client in toxic tort case involving alleged exposure to hazardous chemicals.
- Obtained dismissal of international consumer product manufacturer and distributor in case involving personal injuries from alleged defective batteries.
- Obtained dismissal for international phone service provider in case involving damage to state of the art communications hardware.
- Provides ongoing advice and counsel to several insurers on various coverage issues for almost all lines of insurance.
United States Attorney's Office, Central District. 2001
Los Angeles Elected Charter Reform Commission. 1998
Warner Bros., corp. legal dept. 1997