- International Practice
- Labor and Employment
- Labor and Employment Counseling
- Labor and Employment Litigation
- Labor Union Management Relations
- Wage and Hour Class Actions
- Privacy and Data Security
- J.D., Chicago - Kent College of Law, 2004, with honors
- M.Ed., University of Illinois at Chicago, 1993
- B.A., Eastern Illinois University, 1991
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Terese M. Connolly is an associate in both the International and Domestic Labor and Employment Practice Groups in the firm's Chicago office.
Areas of Practice
Ms. Connolly regularly assists multinational companies in navigating the wide range of employment related issues that arise when managing a global workforce. Additionally, she advises companies on employment related issues that arise in cross border transactions.
Ms. Connolly specializes in providing advice and counseling on domestic and cross border issues involved in mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, outsourcing, and privacy transactions, as well as post-acquisition integration, global audits, and global codes of conduct.
Ms. Connolly regularly represents clients in simple and complex litigation under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the WARN Act, ERISA, ADA, ADEA, USERRA, FMLA, FLSA, and various state wage and hour, and discrimination laws. She routinely defends and advises clients on "best practices" involving hiring processes, discipline and dismissals, reductions in force and other cost-cutting measures, disabilities, sexual harassment, wrongful discharge, employee privacy, drug testing and employee searches. Ms. Connolly also assists clients with employee applications, offer letters, employment and executive contracts, handbooks and policies, at-will agreements, non-compete agreements, confidentiality and proprietary information agreements, separation and release agreements, secondment agreements, key employee retention agreements, services agreements, and other employment related documents.
- Mergers and Acquisitions:
- Provided labor and employment advice to Bemis Company Inc. in connection with USD1.2 billion acquisition of Alcan Packaging Food Americas. (2009- 2010).
- Advised Bennis Company Inc. on labor and employment issues related to the divestment of two newly acquired companies; the net sales associated with the facilities to be sold was approximately USD100 million (2010).
- Assisted a global supplier of telecommunications networking equipment, software and services with employment issues associated with the transfer of employees to several countries in connection with the client's USD770 million asset purchase of an ethernet network provider (2009-2010).
- Advised a Fortune 100 Company on a 50-country global audit.
- Successfully defended appeal of Title VII action claiming reverse race discrimination in the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- Obtained jury verdict of USD 2.3 million in defamation trial (Third Chair).
- "Records and Information Management Programs," Japanese Chamber of Commerce & Industry of Chicago Newsletter No. 140, April 2014
- "Mexican Federal Labor Law Reform: What Companies Doing Business in Mexico Need to Know," Japanese Chamber of Commerce & Industry of Chicago Newsletter No. 132, June 2013
- "The Amended Mexican Federal Labor Law: Five Changes Employers Should Consider Now," Bloomberg BNA, April 25, 2013
- "Social Media and The Workplace," Japanese Chamber of Commerce & Industry of Chicago No. 123, June 2012
- Contributing Author of International Labour and Employment Compliance Handbook, Wolters Kluwer Law & Business, 2012
- Contributing Author of The Human Resources Compliance Manual: An Employment Law Guide for Employers in the United States, American Chamber of Commerce, 2011 and 2012
- Chapter Editor of the ABA Section of Labor and Employment Age Discrimination in Employment Law 2011 Cumulative Supplement, American Chamber of Commerce, 2011
- Contributing Author of Employment and Labour Laws and Regulation in the United States - A New Era of Government Enforcement and Employer Compliance: Workplace Harassment and Pre-employment Testing chapters, American Chamber of Commerce, 2011
- Contributing Author of the Midwinter Meeting Report of the Fair Labor Standards Act Subcommittee to the ABA Committee on Federal Labor Standards Legislation, 2010 - 2012
- Legal Guide for Brazilian Companies Doing Business in the U.S., 2010
- "The ADA Amendments Act of 2008," The Global Employer, January 2009
Labor & Employment Law Blog Posts
- "This Past Quarter’s Notable, International Employment Law Changes And What To Look For Down the Road: Belgium," March 21, 2014
- "Minimum Wage in Mexico," March 21, 2014
- "What To Look For Down The Road: France," March 21, 2014
- "China Enacts New Employment Law Affecting Employers Who Do Not Directly Employ Their Workers," May 29, 2013
- "Mexican Federal Labor Law Reform: What Companies Doing Business in Mexico Need to Know," May 15, 2013
- "Global Trends in the Workplace," April 22, 2014
- "International Background Checks in the Global Workplace," November 19, 2013
- "Records Retention - Creating, Maintaining & Deleting Your Company's Business and Personnel Records," October 10, 2013
- "International Employment Law Basics," October 5, 2013
- "The Amended Mexican Federal Labor Law: Changes Employers Should Consider Now," March 21, 2013
- "Four More Years: Are you ready for President Obama's second term?" January 10, 2013
- "Year in Review for U.S. Employers," December 6, 2012
- "Do's and Don'ts of Hiring in the U.S.," November 28, 2012
- "Global Transactions: Avoiding HR Nightmares in Cross-Border Transactions," November 8, 2012
- "Social Media: Risks and Rewards," Japan In-House Counsel Network, Tokyo, Japan, October 11, 2012
- "Cross Border Mergers and Acquisitions," May 24, 2012
- "Domestic and International Do's and Don'ts of Employment Agreements and Offer Letters," June 7, 2012
- "Social Media and the Workplace: Employer Challenges with Networking Sites and Privacy," Foreign Women Lawyers' Association, Tokyo, Japan, April 2, 2012
- "Doing Business Globally: Labor and Employment Issues in Cross-Border M&A Transactions," November 17, 2011
- "The Hiring Process: What Every Employer Needs to Know," November 15, 2011 and September 6, 2012
- "Effectively Managing Employee Absence, Illness, Injuries and Time Off," Health Care Reform and Other New Realities Facing Healthcare Industry Employers seminar, June 25, 2010
- July 16, 2013
- Hot Topics in Domestic & International Labor & Employment LawJune 21, 2013
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association