Bill BloniganTEL: 858.720.8900
12275 El Camino Real
San Diego, CA 92130
- Intellectual Property
Bill BloniganPrint PDF
Mr. Blonigan is an associate in the Intellectual Property (IP) Practice Group in the firm’s Del Mar office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Blonigan’s practice focuses on patent litigation and includes matters involving copyrights, trademarks, trade dress, and trade secrets. His engineering education and work experience allow him to handle a wide variety of technologies, including electronics and medical devices. As a registered patent attorney, he also helps clients both obtain and dispute patent protection before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
- J.D., Boston University, Paul J. Liacos Scholar, American Journal of Law & Medicine, 2007
- The George Washington University Law School, Visiting Scholar, 2007
- Tsinghua University School of Law, Beijing, China, Foreign Student, 2006
- B.B.E.E., Biomedical Engineering with emphasis in Electrical Engineering, University of Minnesota—Institute of Technology, 2003
- Mr. Blonigan externed at the United States Patent & Trademark Office’s Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences in 2007 (soon to be the “Patent Trial & Appeal Board” or “PTAB”).
- Supreme Court of California
- United States Patent & Trademark Office
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
Wi-LAN Inc. v. Alcatel-Lucent USA Inc. et al. (Texas, Eastern Dist.)—Represent defendant HTC in patent litigation regarding processing data transmitted and received over a wireless link connecting a central terminal and a subscriber terminal of a wireless telecommunications system. Secured favorable jury verdicts of non-infringement and patent invalidity.
LendingTree v. Zillow, Inc. et al. (North Carolina, Western Dist.)—Represent plaintiff in two-patent infringement litigation involving a method and computer network for coordinating a loan over the Internet.
Cook, Inc. v. Endologix, Inc. (Indiana, Southern Dist.)—Represented defendant in medical-device patent litigation.
Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. v. Tabari (California, Central Dist.)—Represented defendant pro bono to obtain favorable settlement after appeal.
Partners in Leadership, Inc. v. Questmark LLC (Pennsylvania, Western Dist.)—Represented plaintiff in trademark and copyright dispute to stop defendant’s use of proprietary sales-training materials. Secured favorable settlement for client.
Edwards Lifesciences AG v. CoreValve, Inc. (Delaware)—Represented defendant through trial in patent litigation involving self-expanding, percutaneously delivered aortic heart-valve replacement.
Rev Wheel, LLC v. American Racing Equipment, LLC (California, Central Dist.)—Represented plaintiff in trademark-invalidity and unfair-competition claims relating to after-market vehicle wheels. Secured favorable settlement for client.
Treasure Garden, Inc. v. Wanda Ying Li (California, Central Dist.)—Represented declaratory-judgment plaintiff asserting patent invalidity. Secured favorable settlement for client.
- "Establishing The Weight of Evidence After Sciele," Law360, August 13, 2012
- National Reports: In re Swanson, 540 F.3d 1368 (Fed. Cir. 2008) (Reexamination No. 90/006,785), European Intellectual Property Review, Vol. 31, Issue 1, at N–15 (2009)
- Road Under Construction: Administrative Claim Interpretations and a Path of Greater Deference from the Federal Circuit to the Patent Office, 35 American Intellectual Property Law Association Quarterly Journal 415 (2007)
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturer Sponsoring Terminated Clinical Trial Not Obligated to Continue Providing Drug to Volunteers—Abney v. Amgen, Inc., 32 American Journal of Law & Medicine 412 (2006)
Intellectual Property Law Blog Articles
- "Patents issued in error are presumed valid, but evidence weighs heavily against them," August 3, 2012
- "Supreme Court confirms that generic drug manufacturers can challenge brand-name use-code descriptions in patent litigation," July 16, 2012
- "Courts to play greater role moderating enhanced damages for willful patent infringement," July 3, 2012