California has passed a sweeping new privacy law granting consumers more control over their personal information.
The California Consumer Privacy Act—which comes into force on January 1, 2020—is one of the most significant regulations overseeing the data-collection practices of companies in the United States.
We expect other states to follow California’s lead by enacting their own versions of the CCPA.
Here’s what you need to know today. The CCPA:
• Grants consumers the right to know what data companies are collecting about them, why they are collecting it, and with whom they are sharing it;
• Gives consumers the right to tell companies to delete their data and to not sell or share their data;
• Requires companies to give consumers who opt out of data sharing the same quality of service;
• Makes it more difficult to share or sell data about children younger than 16;
• Makes it easier for consumers to sue companies after a data breach; and
• Gives the state’s attorney general more authority to fine companies that don’t comply with the new law.
Our recommendations for your organization:
• Keep a 12 month look-back of its data processing activities, including taking stock of what personal information is being collected and who your organization is sharing such data with;
• Include CCPA compliance in its 2019 and 2020 budgets.
Sheppard Mullin’s CCPA Team can tailor a custom compliance program that aligns with your organization’s budget and goals. Sheppard Mullin is one of the largest law firms in California. The firm’s CCPA team is made up of experienced privacy and data protection attorneys located in California.
- Legal 500 US 2018 Recognizes Sheppard Mullin Partners and Practice Groups Among the Best in the CountryLegal 500 US, May 30, 2018
- Chambers USA, May 4, 2018
- Above The Law, May 1, 2018
- April 2018
- Lawdragon, March 16, 2018
- Chambers and Partners, February 16, 2018
- Daily Journal, January 24, 2018
- Legal 500 US 2017 Recognizes Sheppard Mullin Partners and Practice Groups Among the Best in the CountryLegal 500 US, May 31, 2017