- J.D., Loyola Law School, 2002
- B.A., Harvard University, 1999, cum laude
- District of Columbia
Alfred Fraijo Jr. is a partner in the Real Estate, Land Use and Natural Resources practice group in the firm's San Francisco and Los Angeles office. He is Team Leader of the firm's Latin America Practice Group, a global initiative to provide specialized legal representation to Hispanic/Latino-owned companies and companies focused on the U.S. Latino market.
Areas of Practice
Alfred grows his expertise on cutting edge real estate transactions for public, private and nonprofit developers and multi-national corporations in the United States and abroad.
Alfred has significant experience in obtaining and negotiating land use entitlements for complex housing and mixed use development projects throughout California, including advising clients with innovative, urban renewal projects in the inner-city and other sectors with emerging markets. His expertise extends to complex project permitting and financing of affordable housing projects and mixed income housing developments. His real estate and land use expertise extends to master planning projects, green energy facilities development and permitting campuses for educational institutions and universities.
Alfred advises public and private sector clients on state and federal land use and environmental laws, including the Subdivision Map Act, California Community Redevelopment Law (including associated dissolution legislation and successor statutes), California Environmental Quality Act, National Environmental Policy Act, Clean Water Act, Endangered Species Act, CERCLA, RCRA, California Superfund Law and the Polanco Redevelopment Act. Alfred also has significant experience in working closely with clients and consultants on due diligence review of land use issues, which includes local zoning ordinances, general plans, redevelopment agency plans, and related land use restrictions.
Alfred's recent representative matters include:
- Lease real estate counsel for California university client in connection with the strategic expansion of its life sciences campus, including leasing, financing and master development agreement negotiations.
- Lead counsel for major utility in connection with land use and disposition planning, including development and disposition agreements, leasing, land purchase agreements, state and local land use permitting, and CEQA compliance for property portfolio valued in excess of $500-million.
- Represented national client in the land planning, permitting and environmental review for the construction of over 200 affordable housing units in San Francisco, including replacement housing.
- Negotiated permitting and environmental review for a $250 million master plan to construct 1,000-unit student housing complex and educational and other learning facilities.
- Negotiated land use permits and property transfers for the development of 230-unit transit oriented residential project inclusive of a parking structure, public plaza and affordable housing units financed with federal, state and local funding sources.
- Negotiated all aspects of public financing, including the owner participation agreement, and construction agreements for the development of 21 single-family detached affordable homes in the Central Valley to be LEED-certified.
- Negotiated conservation easements and property transfer agreements on behalf of a multi-national renewable-energy company in California.
- Completed due diligence acquisition and entitlements for 1.2-million square feet of condominiums, office, commercial and entertainment uses in Los Angeles.
- Represented developer in the construction and financing of a mixed-used project, including 100-units of affordable rental housing. Also drafted and negotiated easement agreements allocating rights and responsibilities for long-term property use and maintenance.
- Completed entitlements and negotiated redevelopment agency financing for a transit-oriented development project, including 269 condominiums, 40,000 square feet of retail and 185 space City-owned transit parking structure.
- Represented developer in connection with the entitlement and environmental review of over 1-million square feet of residential, office and entertainment uses in Los Angeles, including the preservation and rehabilitation of a historic theatre and recording studio.
- Negotiated a prevailing wage dispute arising out of a multi-million housing and commercial development project in California.
- Negotiated the sale of a 21-acre industrial site, including securing environmental indemnification and insurance for seller.
- Represented redevelopment agencies and developers in condemnation actions and environmental cleanup proceedings in connection with the Polanco Redevelopment Act.
- Negotiated environmental indemnity, remediation and easement agreements for major developers in connection with the purchase and sale of contaminated properties.
- Represented developers and purchasers of contaminated properties in negotiations with governmental agencies in order to obtain Prospective Purchaser Agreements, Comfort Letters and No Further Action Letters for protection from environmental liability.
Alfred has served on numerous real estate associations and organizations focused on urban renewal issues and civic empowerment. Alfred is the founder and Chairman of the Los Angeles Urban Renewal Network, Inc., a multi-disciplinary collaborative of young professionals engaged in policy and sustainable development to improve the quality of housing in Southern California. He serves as President on the Board of Directors for the Friends of the Hollywood Freeway Central Park, Inc. Alfred also advises several non-profit housing development corporations, including as Board member of California Community Builders, Inc. and Chairman of the East LA Community Corporation. Alfred is a Founding Board member of Honor PAC and For People of Color, Inc., a nonprofit organization dedicated to growing diversity in the legal profession.
Alfred continues to speak for professional associations and continuing education symposia and has published articles on emerging trends in state and federal land use and environmental law as well as on environmental justice issues. Alfred is admitted to practice in California and the District of Columbia. He is a member of the American Bar Association, the State Bar of California, the State Bar of Washington, D.C., the San Francisco Bar Association, the Los Angeles Bar Association, and the Mexican American Bar Association.
Alfred received his J.D. from Loyola Law School, Los Angeles in 2002, where he was a full tuition scholarship recipient and member of the nationally ranked National Hispanic Moot Court Team from 2001 to 2002. In 1999, he graduated cum laude from Harvard University and received a B.A. in Government. Prior to Loyola and Harvard, Alfred participated in an accelerated engineering program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and traveled as a student ambassador to Japan and South Korea.
- Most Influential Minority Attorneys, Los Angeles Business Journal, 2019
- Best Lawyer in America, Best Lawyers, 2020
- Recommended Attorney - Real Estate, The Legal 500, 2019
- Southern California Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2017-2019
- Southern California Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2013-2016
- Northern California Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2014-2017
- Diversity and Inclusion Award, Sheppard Mullin, 2016
- 40 Under 40, Urban Land Institute, 2014
- Who's Who in Real Estate Law, Los Angeles Business Journal, 2013
- Community Revitalization and Investment Authorities: A Step-by-Step Guide to Using AB 2California Real Property Journal, January 2016
- "Land Issues in Real Estate Transactions," Volume II, Real Estate Law Practice, Practicing Law Institute, November 2014
- "Sheppard Mullin Hosts CEQA Briefing: SB 226 Guidelines Now Under Review by Governor," The Planning Report, October 4, 2012.
- "The Next Zoning Battleground: Trends and Challenges in Local Regulation of Medical Marijuana," Zoning Practice, July 2011.
- "Sheppard Mullin Continues to Grow its Real Estate Practice," California Real Estate Journal, November 23, 2009.
- "LURN Looks To Engage Communities in Neighborhood Development," California Real Estate Journal, November 2009.
- "California's New Controversial MOA," Brownfields News, June 2005.
- "AB 389: New California Legislation," Brownfields News, April 2005.
- “New California Legislation Requires Comprehensive Cleanups For New Purchasers"
- "Seeking 'Immunity' from State Joint and Several Liability Laws,” BNA's Environmental Due Diligence Guide, February 2005.
- “A Practical Guide to AB 389,” Beveridge & Diamond, P.C., January 2005.
- “Modesto v. Dow Chemical: A Manufacture's Prospective,” California Redevelopment Journal, November 2004.
- “Changing the Color of Power: Minority Representation in the California State Legislature,” Greenlining Institute Publication, August 1999.
- “The Power of Knowledge Promoting Achievement Among Latino Youth,” Quo Vadis Magazine, September/October 1998.
Real Estate, Land Use & Environmental Law Blog Posts
- "Battle for Rent Control May Not be Over," November 7, 2018
- "California Housing Legislation (2017-2018)," October 4, 2018
- "California Legislation Guide for Developers," March 13, 2018
- "Voters Overwhelmingly Approve ‘Build Better LA’ Initiative Resulting in New Affordable Housing and Local Hiring Requirements For Developers," November 11, 2016
- "UPDATE – City of Los Angeles Releases List of 13,500 Soft First Story Buildings Targeted for Earthquake Retrofitting," April 25, 2016
- "New Live/Work Ordinance Adopted by L.A. City Council," February 24, 2016
- "Los Angeles City Council Approves Major Earthquake Retrofitting Ordinance," October 14, 2015
- "Redevelopment Strikes Back," October 9, 2015
- "LA Mayor Proposes Mandatory Earthquake Retrofitting for Commercial and Residential Buildings," December 19, 2014
- "Governor Signs Off on New Tax-Increment Financing Structure," October 7, 2014
- "UPDATE: Comment Period for OPR Rethink of CEQA Guidelines on Transportation Impacts Extended Until November 21, 2014," October 2, 2014
- "Innovative Cornfield Arroyo Seco Specific Plan Seeks to Revitalize Neglected Los Angeles Neighborhood," September 9, 2013
- Los Angeles Business Journal, January 28, 2019
- Boyle Heights Beat, August 31, 2018
- Meet Alfred Fraijo Jr. with Sheppard Mullin’s Real Estate, Land Use and Natural Resources Practice GroupVoyageLA, July 3, 2018
- KCETLink, December 18, 2015
- KPCC, October 1, 2015
- Urban Land Institute, October 2014
- Hispanic Executive, September 2014
- Equal Justice Society, February 25, 2014
- Speaker and Panelist, "State of Housing for Latinos in Los Angeles", BFI CLEI Housing for Latinos Forum, October 25, 2019
- Speaker, "CEQA & Community Outreach Class", REAP-LA - Teach Entitlements, October 22, 2019
- Host and Speaker, Real Estate Executives Forum, October 18, 2019
- Panelist, "Success in Improving Diversity in the Legal Profession", LACBA Diversity & Inclusion Conference, September 2019
- Speaker, "Taking Stock: Land Use and Affordable Housing in Los Angeles", Mercy Housing California Symposium, UCLA Ziman Center and Anderson School of Management, Los Angeles, February 8, 2018
- Panelist, "LA River and Beyond: The Future of Open Space In LA", Los Angeles Headquarters Association, California Club, February 8, 2018
- Panelist, "Affordable Housing Development by Faith-based Organizations: Exploring the Use of Surplus Real Estate for Housing", Los Angeles City Hall, AAPI, November 3, 2017
- Lecture, "What We Talk About When We Talk About Gentrification", ITEP Symposium, Los Angeles Unified High School, Los Angeles, November 2, 2016
- Keynote Speaker, "Preservation is About People Not Only Buildings", Planning for Progress Symposium, Hosted by Mayor of Washington DC and the Office of Planning, March 1, 2016
- Faculty, "California Entitlements: Planning and Community Development", USC Lusk Center for Real Estate and ICSC University West, October 27, 2015
- Speaker and Moderator, "Law Art Water: Sustainability Issues for Creative People in Los Angeles," California Lawyers for the Arts, Los Angeles, June 30, 2015
- Guest Lecture, "Land Issues in Real Estate Transactions," Practicing Law Institute, 16th Annual Commercial Real Estate Institute, November 7, 2014
- Speaker and Moderator, "Urban Infrastructure: Developing A New Paradigm," Planning & Land-Use Strategies Summit Conference, SPUR Center, San Francisco, April 2014
- Guest Lecturer, "Land Use and Urban Renewal in Los Angeles," Woodbury University, Burbank, March 2014
- Panelist, Young Leaders Symposium "CEQA", Urban Land Institute, Irvine, October 2013
- Speaker and Organizer, Planning & Land-Use Strategies Summit "Plus2" Conference, Southern California Institute of Architecture, Los Angeles, September 2013
- Speaker, Access and Fairness, State Bar of California Financial Institutions Committee Meeting, San Francisco, September 2013
- Speaker, Housing Development Law and Policy Seminar, San Diego Housing Federation, September 2013
- Panelist, Thomas Jefferson School of Law PCAPLA Conference "Diversity", San Diego, June 2013
- Panelist, Streamlining the CEQA Process, Urban Land Institute, San Diego, May 2013
- Interview, Enfoque Los Ángeles Telemundo on Prop. 8 Challenges and DOMA
- Speaker, Status of Diversity in the Profession, State Bar of California Annual Real Property Law Section Retreat, Napa, April 2013
- Speaker, Keep Up With The Latest CEQA Developments, Sheppard Mullin CEQA Breakfast Briefing, September 27, 2012
- Speaker, Developing a Citizen's Guide to Land Use and Urban Design, Association for Community Design, National Conference, Salt Lake City, Utah, June 2012
- Panelist, California 2012: Convergence of Climate Change and Communities of Color, Crawford Forum, Southern California Public Radio, April 2012
- Speaker and Moderator, Mobile Vending in Los Angeles, Community Planning Workshop, National Planning Conference, American Planning Association, April 2012
- Speaker, What's New: New Market Tax Credits and EB-5 Regional Centers, City Managers' Meeting, Gateway Cities, April 2012
- Speaker, Brownfields Cleanup in California's Post-RDA World, City Managers' Meeting, Gateway Cities, February 2012
- Panelist, Urban Land Institute, 2011 Fall Meeting, "Flexible Variable Rights: A Case Study in New Development Strategies," October 2011
- Speaker, Annual Meeting of the State Bar of California (State Bar Council on Access & Fairness Presentation), "What's In It for You? Increasing your Practice Through Diversity," September 2011
- Speaker, American Planning Association, California Conference, "Don’t Kill the Messenger: Understanding and Overcoming Major Project Coordination Interdisciplinary Challenges," November 2010
- Lecture, Woodbury University, "Neighborhood Empowerment and Land Use Planning," August 2010
- Speaker, American College of Real Estate Lawyers, Spring Education Summit, "Who's Afraid of NEPA?: Hidden NEPA Compliance Issues in Complex Projects," March 2010
- Instructor, California Redevelopment Association - Redevelopment Institute, "Fundamentals in Real Estate Development," May 2009
- Panelist, California Bar Program, Real Property Law Section, "The Redevelopment Process," January 2007
- Panelist, California State Bar Association 2005 Annual Meeting, "Use of the Polanco Act in Brownfields Redevelopment," September 2005
- Instructor, UC Berkeley Extension, "CEQA Update," March 2003-2006
- October 17, 2018
- Streamlining the CEQA ProcessMay 15, 2013
- Streamlining the CEQA ProcessApril 25, 2013
- Sheppard Mullin Palo Alto & via WebEx, February 15, 2013
- Sheppard Mullin Los Angeles Office, September 27, 2012
- Executive Board Member of the USC Lusk Center for Real Estate
- Chairman and founder of the Leadership for Urban Renewal Network (LURN), Inc.
- Chairman of the East LA Community Corporation
- President and Founding Board Member of the Friends of the Hollywood Freeway Central Park
- Board member of The Greenlining Institute
- Board member of Equal Justice Society
- Board member of Farmworker Justice
- Founding Board member for Honor PAC and For People of Color, Inc.
- San Francisco Bar Association
- Los Angeles Bar Association
- Mexican American Bar Association
- American Bar Association