Albert Tae is a Special Counsel in the Business Trials Group, working from the firm’s Los Angeles and Seoul offices.
Areas of Practice
His practice focuses on complex cross-border litigation, in particular cross-border matters involving Korea and the United States. Mr. Tae has represented companies in various disputes in the automotive, financial services, pharmaceutical, and other industries. He advises on commercial litigation, class action litigation, intellectual property litigation, international arbitration and electronic discovery. He also counsels clients on their cross-border transactional strategies as well as regulatory compliance.
Before joining Sheppard Mullin, Mr. Tae was an associate at a major New York elite law firm.
Prior to his legal career, Mr. Tae served in the Republic of Korea Marine Corps as an infantry officer.
Mr. Tae’s recent experience includes representing:
- Kia Motors Corporation and Kia Motors America in connection with a significant trademark infringement action;
- Woori Bank and Woori America Bank in connection with a wire fraud dispute;
- Tom N Toms Coffee in arbitration regarding multiple breaches of franchise agreements;
- large Korean company in international arbitration proceedings in Singapore regarding defective heat exchange equipment supplied by a large American company;
- large Korean company in a significant international arbitration matter in Singapore regarding misconduct by a retail clothing franchisor;
- Korean financial institution in an investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice;
- Korean medical device manufacturing company in an arbitration relating to a breach of contract;
- Korean automobile company in a patent infringement case filed by a non-practicing entity (“patent troll”);
- SillaJen, Inc., a Korean biotechnology company, in its acquisition of Jennerex, Inc., a U.S. biotechnology company, including FDA related legal matters;
- Alvogen Pine Brook Inc, a U.S. pharmaceutical company, in its acquisition of Kunwha Pharmaceuticals Co., Ltd., a Korean pharmaceutical company;
- Celltrion Healthcare in connection with preparing a global compliance program.