- LL.M., New York University, 1985
- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, 1984, Member, UCLA Law Review
- B.A., Haverford College, 1981
David Ulich is a partner of the law firm of Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP and is Team Leader of the firm's Non Profit Sector Team which was named Non-Profit Sector Law Firm of the Year in California.
Areas of Practice
David advises clients on matters ranging from family oriented businesses to multi national corporations in many diverse industries – financial, investment management, venture capital, entertainment, sports, health care, consumer goods and aerospace. His primary areas of practice are general corporate and securities law, tax law, merger and acquisition transactions, business start ups, contractual matters (including licensing and distribution agreements) and general business counseling.
David has extensive experience in the structuring of corporate reorganizations, including mergers, stock for stock exchanges, corporate spin-offs and shareholder redemptions, as well as the tax treatment of "S" corporations. He has handled all aspects of partnership and limited liability company taxation including formation and dissolution of partnerships and LLC's, drafting partnership and LLC agreements, merging of partnerships and tax treatment of partners, and LLC members in transactions with their companies. He is an authority in the area of tax-deferred exchanges of real estate.
David specializes in the representation of hedge funds, providing advice on formation and structuring, compliance with Department of Corporation and SEC regulations, registered investment advisor issues and broker dealer matters. David has substantial experience with private investments in public equity ("PIPEs"), as well as commodity pools, including post-closing stock registration, reporting and notice issues.
- Non-Profit Sector Attorney of the Year in California, Global Law Experts, 2015
AOM French Airlines â€“ AirLib
American Film Institute
Arnold & Bierbrauer, GmbH
Aspen Education Group, Inc.
British Academy of Film & Television
Cayman Holdings, Ltd.
Central Hollywood Coalition
Childhelp USA, Inc.
Copeland Sporting Goods
Cormier/Peterson/Lewis Automotive Group
Country Floors, Inc.
Detection Logic Fire Protection Co.
Don Fedderson Productions, Inc.
Factor Support Network Pharmacy, Inc.
Foundation for Global Sports Development
Fulton, Breakefield Broenniman, LLC
HS Seafood Company
Honda Finance Company
Illac Advisors, Inc.
Integrated Publishing, Inc.
Integrated Research Services, Inc.
Mecos Traxler, GmbH
Nosrat Farms, LLC
On Point Technologies, Inc.
Signature Liquidity Fund, Ltd.
Solara Fund, L.P.
Snaidero Design Team
Terbest Insurance Co.
The Healing Channel
Trancas Water Company
United Church of God
Vector Fund, L.P.
The Yanks Air Museum
Art Law Blog Posts
- "The Art of Making Donations", March 18, 2009
Corporate & Securities Law Blog Posts
- Member, International Fair Play Committee Council
- Council of Trustees, United States Olympic and Paralympic Foundation
- Board of Directors, Los Angeles Sport Counsel
- Board of Directors, The Los Angeles Sports Counsel Foundation
- Board of Directors, Southern California Committee for the Olympic Games
- Member, American Bar Association Subcommittee on Partnership Taxation
- Adjunct member, American Bar Association Subcommittee on Corporate Taxation
- Board of Directors, Terralex, an international referral service for law firms
- Lecturer, University of Southern California Masters Tax Program, where he taught classes on the Taxation of Corporations and Shareholders
- Board of Directors, several non-profit foundations