- J.D., George Washington University Law School, 2007
- B.S., Engineering Physics, Colorado School of Mines, 2001
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Ben Esplin is a partner in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's San Diego (Del Mar) office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Esplin's practice spans many areas of intellectual property law, and his areas of technical focus include social media, video games, social networks, virtual worlds, augmented reality, virtual reality, media, computer software, unmanned vehicle systems, computer graphics processing, mechanical devices, control systems, network infrastructure, security and maintenance, sound recording/reproduction, wireless communication and business methods.
The scope of Mr. Esplin's practice covers a broad range of intellectual property matters including the development and monetization of intellectual property. He has experience in developing patent filing strategies, patent preparation, patent prosecution, patent portfolio sales and licensing, transactional due diligence, and advising clients with respect to the validity, infringement and potential avoidance of third party patent rights. Mr. Esplin’s experience with patent prosecution extends to successfully representing clients post-grant proceedings such as reissue, reexamination (ex parte and inter partes), and patent interference. Mr. Esplin also has experience with other intellectual property and other legal matters pertaining to video games and social media.
- Patent Prosecution, Legal 500 US, 2014
- Law360, June 16, 2015
- "Recent Patent Law Developments and Considerations," IP Issues in the Food and Beverage Industries, Napa, CA, October 17, 2014
- "Legal Issues Associated with Augmented Reality," 2014 IP and the Internet Conference, Los Angeles, CA, June 12, 2014
- "Technology Transfer and Commercialization," Oceans 2013 MTS/IEEE Conference, San Diego, CA, September 24, 2013
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- San Diego Intellectual Property Law Association
- SL Bar Association