Foreign Language Bio
- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, 1991
- B.A., Wesleyan University, 1986, high honors
Brian Pass is a partner in the Entertainment, Technology and Advertising and Intellectual Property Practice Groups in the firm's Century City office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Pass advises clients in all aspects of technology and media transactions, including the licensing, development and distribution of computer software and hardware; internet and new media licensing, development and marketing; online advertising; video gaming; IT and business process outsourcing; intellectual property and trade secret protection; broadband communications; interactive television and e-commerce. Mr. Pass also advises companies on internet privacy and other regulatory issues affecting the Internet and e-commerce.
Before joining Sheppard Mullin, Mr. Pass was a partner at Brown Raysman. Prior to that he co-founded Passport New Media and served as its President and CEO. He led the development of Passport's critically acclaimed children's Internet service, Your Own World. At Passport, Mr. Pass raised $7.5 million in venture capital, while concluding numerous third-party content partnerships and negotiating key technology and distribution relationships.
Prior to forming Passport, Mr. Pass served as Vice President & General Counsel at americast, a joint venture of The Walt Disney Corporation and several of the Baby Bell telephone companies to develop interactive digital television services. In addition to advising the americast partnership and its board on all general corporate matters, Mr. Pass negotiated and administered numerous technology purchasing and licensing agreements including a $1 billion set-top box purchase agreement; an $80 million dollar hardware purchase agreement; a multimillion dollar intellectual property licensing agreement and numerous software development and licensing agreements.
- Best Lawyer in America, Information Technology Law, Best Lawyers, 2010-2019
- Top Entertainment Attorney, Variety's Legal Impact Report, 2017
- LA's Most Influential Digital Media and E-Commerce Lawyer, Los Angeles Business Journal, 2014
- Media, Technology and Telecoms, Legal 500, 2008, 2010-2018
- Southern California Super Lawyer, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014
- "Dealmaker of the Week," American Lawyer Magazine, July 31, 2009
- Leading Lawyers for Business in the IT and IT Outsourcing field in California, Chambers USA, 2006-2013
- Which Lawyer?, Outsourcing & IT, Practical Law Company, 2009, 2011, 2012
- "Top 100 Lawyers in California," Daily Journal, 2010
Mr. Pass has closed over $38 billion in technology transactions.
Representative work includes:
Lead outside counsel to Yahoo! in agreement with Microsoft;
Represented Yahoo! in agreement with Google and numerous other strategic affiliation agreements;
Negotiation of all forms of online advertising agreements including ad network agreements, ad servicing agreements, ad sales representation agreements and ad exchange agreements;
Represented leading online game publisher in licensing agreement re virtual goods exchange technology;
Outside counsel to leading manufacturer of third-party video game accessories;
Outside counsel to joint venture formed to develop and deliver video on demand and interactive services;
Negotiation of multi-million dollar white label e-commerce co-marketing agreements;
Outside counsel to leading Internet-based music discovery service; and
Negotiation of numerous multi-million dollar enterprise license and Web services transactions in the entertainment, healthcare and fashion industries.
- Personal Cloud ComputingCloud Computing Legal Deskbook, 2013 Edition, Thomson Reuters WestlawThomson Reuters Westlaw, November 2013
- Tech transactions lawyer Brian Pass rode in the L’Etape du Tour after months of tough training.Daily Journal, September 14, 2018
- Sheppard Mullin Guides Toca Boca Licensing With AmazonDaily Journal, December 30, 2014
- Pass helped negotiate the ten-year Internet search and advertising deal Yahoo! struck with MicrosoftThe AmLaw Daily, July 31, 2009
- Mr. Pass is a frequent speaker and lecturer on technology issues and intellectual property law. Recent topics include digital distribution of content to the home, development of mobile applications, the law of ecommerce, recent developments in internet law, outsourcing, basic intellectual property law, domain name dispute resolution, children's online privacy and venture capital in the education market. Mr. Pass served as a panelist before the Computer Science and Telecommunications Board of the National Academy of Sciences in connection with its study "Youth, Pornography, and the Internet" and has lectured and spoken at the Anderson School at U.C.L.A. and the Marshall School of Business.
- Third Thursday Emerging Company Webinarvia WebEx, July 21, 2016
- Third Thursday Emerging Company WebinarAugust 20, 2015
- Third Thursday Emerging Company Webinarvia WebEx, April 17, 2014
- Kellogg Auditorium at Silicon Valley Bank, July 26, 2012
- Hosted by Law Seminars InternationalSan Francisco Marriott Union Square Hotel, February 2012
- How the Cloud is Changing the Business and Legal Aspects of the Entertainment IndustrySheppard Mullin, Century City, July 13, 2011
- Presented by BNA/AtlasNew York City, September 27, 2010
- Third Thursday Emerging Company WebinarsLiveMeeting, April 15, 2010