- Law Students
- Lateral Attorneys
- Associate Development
- Staff Recruiting
"I was pleasantly surprised not only by how much cutting edge, interesting work the firm had to offer, but also how much responsibility was given to associates. I have gained valuable experience on several projects that I may not have been able to gain at another big firm."
- Leo Caseria, Partner
Sheppard Mullin is strongly committed to developing and promoting associates from within. However, the addition of strong lateral associates is also integral to our firm's growth plan for the future. At Sheppard Mullin we are continuously striving to create a firm where lawyers want to be. We are very proud of the culture of Sheppard Mullin, which emphasizes civility, teamwork and a commitment to excellent service to clients. But we are aware that law firms’ websites usually contain such language. Here is some more specific information about our firm:
Why Make the Move?
Quality of Practice
- Breadth of Practice: Sheppard Mullin has prospered by continuously diversifying its practice and avoiding overemphasis on faddish practice areas. We have not purged lawyers from practice areas that were out of phase as a result of swings in the economic cycle. The result is a firm that is balanced, and has practices that prosper in “up” and “down” phases of the economy.
- Durability of Practice: The firm has grown continuously through boom and recession, and has enjoyed extraordinary stability.
- Teamwork: We do not staff our work through watertight practice groups. We deploy interdisciplinary teams to reflect the changing nature of today’s legal practice and client expectations. Some teams are industry-specific, such as Life Sciences or Hospitality, and some are client-specific, such as Sprint-Nextel and Wells Fargo. The objective is to market and deploy unique knowledge and expertise to current and prospective clients. The firm encourages all associates to join teams that interest them.
- Emphasis on Training: We hire entry-level lawyers from the best law schools in the nation and lateral lawyers from prestigious peer firms. We train these lawyers to produce top quality legal work. During 2014, we presented 206 educational seminars for our lawyers. We have an in-house video communications producer who records programs so that they are available to our lawyers 24/7. We maintain firmwide subscriptions to Practicing Law Institute and California Continuing Education of the Bar, enabling our lawyers to attend any of their programs “live” or on video, free of charge.
- Supervision and Feedback: “Lean staffing” on cases and transactions allows close supervision of work, immediate feedback and early client contact.
- Access to Partnership: The firm’s two-tier partnership structure allows election of associates as profit-sharing partners – a platform from which they can develop business and follow an established path into equity partnership. In 2005, the firm instituted its “Partnership College” retreat for all midlevel and higher associates, to give senior associates the information and tools necessary to stay on track for partnership. We have presented “Partnership College” on a biannual basis since then.
- Partnership Traditions: Sheppard Mullin is a traditional partnership, with equity partners exercising votes on a one person/one vote basis.
- Centralized Management: Firm management is selected by partnership vote, with elected partners serving in management for finite terms. We have efficient business management staffed by accounting, marketing and information technology professionals.
Quality of Life
- Working Atmosphere: Sheppard Mullin preserves an internal atmosphere that is informal, civil, friendly, and cooperative.
- Balanced Approach: We strive to ensure our work meets the highest professional and client service standards in the industry, but billable hour expectations are moderate (1950 hours) and permit pursuit of family, civic, and professional activities.
We encourage and support our attorneys to help pro bono clients. We give credit toward billable hour guidelines for work on pro bono projects.
At Sheppard Mullin, we recognize the importance of diversity and the need to create a workplace of inclusion. Our firm’s management is committed to diversity. Women attorneys, attorneys of color, LGBTQ attorneys and attorneys who are parents have formed affinity groups that hold meetings, promote activities and make recommendations to firm management.
Sheppard Mullin offers the following benefits to its full-time attorneys:
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Dependent coverage, including domestic partners, is available
- Life, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Flexible spending accounts for health and dependent care
- 401(k) participation after approximately 90 days of employment
- Transportation allowance based on commute mode
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Listed below are attorney positions that are currently available in our various offices. A resume and law school transcript should be sent by e-mail to the attention of the Recruiting Contact listed on the page of the position for which you are applying.
NOTICE TO LEGAL SEARCH FIRMS: Legal search firms that wish to present non-partner candidates to Sheppard Mullin must do so through one of the Recruiting Contacts listed further below on this page, and will be expected to sign Sheppard Mullin's current Fee Agreement before we interview their candidates. Search firms that (1) do not initially introduce a candidate through the appropriate Recruiting Contact, and/or (2) submit a candidate's resume for which there is no position listed below, will not be recognized by Sheppard Mullin for purposes of "ownership" of the candidate. If you have a candidate who does not fit any of the profiles below, but you wish to approach us about a possible interest in that person, the candidate's identity should not be released until approval has been given by the Recruiting Contact. You will not be entitled to receive any compensation as a result of a decision by Sheppard Mullin to offer employment to any such candidate unless our current Fee Agreement is in place between our law firm and your search firm, and then only on the terms, and subject to the conditions, contained in the Fee Agreement.
Sheppard Mullin is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, veteran status, all other characteristics prohibited by law.
|San Diego (Del Mar)|
If you are applying for an attorney position that is posted on our website, please submit your resume and law school transcript to the Recruiting Contact listed on that individual posting. General inquiries for positions in a particular office should be directed to the recruiter for that office as listed below, although you should not expect a response unless a position is listed under Current Openings.
NOTICE TO LEGAL SEARCH FIRMS: Legal search firms that wish to present non-partner candidates to Sheppard Mullin must do so through the Recruiting Contact listed below, and will be expected to sign Sheppard Mullin's current Fee Agreement before we interview their candidates. Search firms that (1) do not initially introduce a candidate through the appropriate Recruiting Contact, and/or (2) submit a candidate's resume for which there is no position listed below, will not be recognized by Sheppard Mullin for purposes of "ownership" of the candidate. If you have a candidate who does not fit any of the profiles below, but you wish to approach us about a possible interest in that person, the candidate's identity should not be released until approval has been given by the Recruiting Contact. You will not be entitled to receive any compensation as a result of a decision by Sheppard Mullin to offer employment to any such candidate unless our current Fee Agreement is in place between our law firm and your search firm, and then only on the terms, and subject to the conditions, contained in the Fee Agreement.
Ms. Betsy Zukley
Costa Mesa (Orange County)
Ms. Patty McGraw
Los Angeles (Downtown and Century City)
Ms. Sally Bucklin
Manager of Attorney Hiring and Lawyer Personnel Administration
Ms. Nicolle Gibney
Manager of Legal Personnel & Attorney Recruiting
San Diego (Del Mar)
Ms. Rheanna Smith
Manager of Attorney Recruiting & Integration
San Diego (Downtown)
Ms. Cindi Robertson
San Francisco & Palo Alto
Ms. Candace Sundine
Ms. Maddy Kershek
Manager, Attorney Recruiting & Professional Development