- J.D., University of California, Irvine, 2013, Senior Editor, UC Irvine Law Review, Faculty Award in Evidence; Dean’s Award in First Amendment Law
- B.A., Brown University, 2006
- Extern to Magistrate Judge Susan E. Cox, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Extern to Judge James V. Selna, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- Extern to Bankruptcy Judge Scott C. Clarkson, U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California
Tina Salvato is an associate in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's Century City office
Areas of Practice
Tina focuses her practice on intellectual property and media defense litigation and counseling. She also litigates commercial disputes and has experience in all aspects of litigation including motion practice, depositions, and trials.
Intellectual Property: Tina has experience litigating right of publicity, copyright, trademark, trade secrets, and unfair competition claims. She also counsels clients on IP protection and enforcement and provides pre-publication review on advertising, defamation, privacy, and IP matters.
Media Law: Tina has litigated and counseled media clients on federal and state FOIA, media access issues, and defamation law.
Commercial Litigation: Tina’s experience includes litigating contract disputes in the food and beverage, publishing, energy, health care and technology industries.
Pro Bono: Tina maintains an active pro bono practice. She has litigated two section 1983 cases to trial, serving as third and second chair, respectively. She also regularly provides legal services to non-profit groups on First Amendment, intellectual property, and media law issues.
Before joining Sheppard Mullin, Tina practiced at a boutique law firm in Chicago specializing in media law and intellectual property litigation and counseling. She also worked in house as a law clerk for Tribune Media Company where she gained experience counseling broadcasters on media, IP, and advertising issues and drafting talent and licensing agreements.
After college, Tina worked in Washington, D.C. for Atlantic Media as an associate staff writer for The Hotline, a daily publication covering campaigns and elections news. She also spent two years in Japan teaching English in public schools through the JET Program.
- Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service, Northern District of Illinois and Federal Bar Association
- Represented London-based newspaper in FOIA litigation to obtain documents from the Chicago Police Department about a secret detention facility.
- Defended website in cutting-edge right of publicity class action over the use of names in search engine advertising results.
- Defended television stations, newspapers, and magazines in defamation cases across the country.
- Defended food and beverage industry companies in trademark infringement cases involving restaurant names and company slogans.
- Defended brick and mortar store in ADA website accessibility litigation.
- Represented composer/artist in copyright ownership dispute between artists.
- Represented television station in successful efforts to obtain school bus video recordings.
- Provided pre-publication review and counseling on access issues for non-profit news organization.
- Litigated two pro bono jury trials as third and second chair, and successfully overturned a jury verdict through post-trial motions.
- Editor, American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, “Recent Developments In Media, Privacy, Defamation, and Advertising Law,” 2016-2017
- Co-author, Media Law Resource Center’s 50-State Survey of Media Privacy and Related Law 2016-2017 (Illinois Chapter)
- Co-author, Jordan Litigation Fouls First Amendment Defense, MLRC Bulletin 2015 Issue 3
- Chicago Self-Publishing Group, “Legal Issues for Authors,” presented on behalf of Lawyers for the Creative Arts, April 2017
- Student Press Law Center Active Voice Fellowship Training, August 2016
- Newsroom training for reporters on FOIA and Right to Record for non-profit news organization The Chicago Reporter, 2016
- Media Advocacy Training Committee, ABA Forum on Communications Law, 2017-2018
- Media Law Resource Center (MLRC)
- Los Angeles Copyright Society, Associate Member
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers (ABTL)
- Creative Arts Committee Co-Chair, Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyers Section, 2014-2016