Foreign Language Bio
- J.D., University of California, Hastings, 2007, Hastings Law Journal
- B.A., University of California, Santa Barbara, 2003, with highest honors
- Extern for the Honorable Maxine M. Chesney, District Judge, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, 2005
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Central, and Southern Districts of California
Dylan Ballard is a partner in the Antitrust and Competition Practice Group in the firm's San Francisco office.
Areas of Practice
Dylan specializes in complex business litigation and white collar criminal matters, with an emphasis on antitrust and unfair competition issues. He has significant experience defending U.S. and multinational businesses in all phases of class action litigation, as well as in civil and criminal proceedings involving federal, state, and foreign enforcement agencies.
Defending The Reynolds and Reynolds Company against state and federal antitrust claims relating to data management system access. In re Dealer Management Systems Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 2817 (N.D. Ill.).
Representing telescope manufacturer against price-fixing, market allocation, monopolization and attempted monopolization claims. Optronic Technologies, Inc. v. Ningbo Sunny Electronic Co., Ltd., Case No. 16-6370 EJD (N.D. Cal.)
Representing Samsung Electronics in global patent and standards related antitrust governmental proceedings, and private antitrust actions involving major technology companies including Qualcomm and Apple.
Represented the largest independent publisher of yellow pages phone directories in California, as plaintiff in below cost pricing, loss leader and secret rebate action under California’s Unfair Practices Act, favorably settling for a confidential amount. AGI Publishing, Inc. v. YP Western Directory, Fresno Superior Court, No. 14 CE CG 00656.
Obtained complete dismissal of sham litigation, predatory pricing and state unfair competition counterclaims in patent infringement action concerning electric grid voltage optimization technology. RGA Varentec, Inc. v. GridCo, Inc., Case No. 16-217-RGA-MPT (D. Del.).
Defended information technology services company and top executives with respect to criminal Sherman Act bid-rigging charges and related false claims and unfair competition civil action by California Attorney General.
National counsel defending industry-leading multinational electronics companies in criminal and civil price-fixing actions regarding cathode ray tube products; In re Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 1917 (2007-present).
Representing international electronics companies in criminal and civil price-fixing actions concerning thin film transistor liquid crystal display products; In re TFT-LCD (Flat Panel) Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 1827 (2007-present).
Secured complete dismissal of all claims against Samsung Electronics in boycott and monopsonization case relating to smartphone patent licensing, based on lack of antitrust standing and failure to allege a plausible conspiracy. Obtained affirmance of defense judgment on appeal to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Cascades v. RPX Corp., ND Cal. 4:12-cv-1143 YGR.
Representing leading manufacturer in price-fixing actions concerning lithium ion rechargeable batteries; In re Lithium ion Batteries Antitrust Litigation, MDL No. 2420 (2012-present).
Defended Samsung Electronics companies in civil price-fixing class actions and related U.S. DOJ and foreign enforcement agency proceedings regarding static random access memory chip products; In re SRAM Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 1819 (2007-2011).
Antitrust counsel for Samsung Electronics defending IP-related antitrust claims in multi-billion dollar litigation with Rambus, coordinating with patent counsel in worldwide related proceedings; Rambus Inc. v. Micron Technology, Inc., et al. (2007-2010).
National counsel defending civil price-fixing and government enforcement actions regarding dynamic random access memory chip products; In re DRAM Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 1486 (2007-present).
Defending senior executives in DOJ antitrust grand jury investigations of auto parts industry and real estate foreclosure auctions (2011-present).
Represented Seagate in class actions challenging disclosures about computer hard drive storage capacity, including leading case regarding class action settlements, Cho v. Seagate Technology Holdings, Inc., 177 Cal. App. 4th 734 (2009).
Represented Taiwanese business owner before China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC) in series of disputes arising out of sale of textile-related businesses (2009-2010).
Represented a national bank in an action brought by franchisees of a tax preparation service in which plaintiffs asserted unfair business practices and sought to certify a nationwide class; obtained a complete dismissal of the action before any discovery had occurred (2008).
Participated in a highly publicized internal investigation of a 20+ billion dollar insurance provider (2008-2009).
- The Legal 500, Antitrust- Civil Litigation/ Class Actions Defense, 2018
- Los Angeles & San Francisco Daily Journal, April 15, 2019
- Between a Rock and a Hard Place: Vitamin C and the Future of U.S. Antitrust Enforcement Against Chinese CompaniesThe Legal 500 - Cartels Country Comparative Guide, April 3, 2019
- Competition Policy International, May 16, 2017
- When Illinois Brick Goes Abroad, Law360, March 13, 2015
- Mask For The Guilty And Shield For The Innocent: The Privilege Against Self-Incrimination In Federal and California Antitrust Cases, Competition: The Journal of the Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Section of the State Bar of California, Vol. 22, No. 2, Fall 2013
- The Case For Eliminating ACPERA's Supplemental Cooperation Requirement For Amnesty Applicants, Competition: The Journal of the Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Section of the State Bar of California, Vol. 20, No. 2, Fall 2011
- Contributor, ABA Section of Antitrust, Intellectual Property E-Bulletin
- Contributor, ABA Section of Antitrust, Joint Conduct Committee E-Bulletin
Antitrust Law Blog Posts
- "Algorithms, Artificial Intelligence and Joint Conduct," May 24, 2017
- "Seventh Circuit Affirms Dismissal of Motorola’s LCD Antitrust Claims Based on Foreign Purchases," April 16, 2014
- "LCD Court Dismisses Motorola’s Multi-Billion Dollar Antitrust Claims Based On Overseas Purchases," February 5, 2014
- "Brick By Illinois Brick: Ninth Circuit Builds High Wall For Indirect Purchaser Suits," August 10, 2012
- "Bill Introduced To Secure Reduced Civil Liability For Amnesty Applicants," June 3, 2010
- "U.S. Court Grounds Europe-Japan Air Travel Price-Fixing Case," December 16, 2009
- "Obama Signs Legislation Extending Limitations On Civil Liability For Amnesty Applicants," July 9, 2009
- "Eighth Circuit Affirms Dismissal of Antitrust Claims Against Amway," June 12, 2009
- American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust
- State Bar of California, Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Section
- Bar Association of San Francisco, Antitrust Section