Asking questions such as:
Through a depth and breadth of experience, Sheppard Mullin’s Digital Health team understands the different aspects and considerations of a company’s life cycle. We address a company’s digital health needs as a multi-disciplinary team, considering obstacles and opportunities holistically through the collaboration of our corporate, intellectual property, healthcare regulatory, privacy and cybersecurity, and business litigation attorneys. We understand the application of cutting edge technologies to the digital health industry including artificial intelligence, telehealth, blockchain, wearables, and digital therapies. Our experience provides us with a unique perspective and understanding of digital health clients to operate, compete, and prosper in the highly competitive healthcare industry.
- How do we incorporate and license across states?
- How do we protect and capitalize on our inventions?
- What modality can we use to provide our services?
- How do we use AI to improve our services and make clinical decisions?
- Do we need federal or state approval for my product or service?
- How do we use collected data for diagnostic purposes?
- How do we collect, use, and share patient information for various uses?
- How do we prepare for cyberattacks and respond if we face a threat actor?
- How do we collect payment and pay our stakeholders?
- Represented Cigna Corporation’s Evernorth in its acquisition of 24/7 virtual care platform MDLive for over 1 billion dollars. The Sheppard Mullin team advised in the areas of healthcare compliance, privacy and security, fraud and abuse, telehealth, managed care, health plans, FDA compliance, and licensure.
- Served as regulatory counsel to Alkuri Global Acquisition Corp. (NASDAQ: KURI), a special purpose acquisition company, in its definitive merger agreement with Babylon Holdings Limited., a world leading, digital-first value-based care company, for approximately $4.2 billion. The Sheppard Mullin team advised in the areas of healthcare compliance, fraud and abuse, telehealth, managed care, health plans, FDA compliance, artificial intelligence and licensure.
- Advised Kaleido Health Solutions, Inc., an affiliate of the best known national healthcare “safety net” provider for women, in connection with the structuring and implementing an innovative telemedicine services platform on a full-scale national basis. Our advice involved developing a corporate and governance structure that effectively addresses the interests of the client’s many constituencies and an organizational and operational structure that navigates compliance with the laws of all 50 states.
- Served as primary healthcare and commercial counsel to Medal, Inc., a biomedical Natural Language Processing technology company, throughout their growth from an angel back startup to their ultimate acquisition by Ciox Health.
- Represented General Atlantic as healthcare regulatory counsel in its strategic investment into CareMetx Healthcare in 2021, a leading technology-enabled hub services company improving patient access to specialty medication.
- Advised Verantos, a real world evidence data analytics company on technology, intellectual property, labor and employment matters as well as commercial contracting opportunities with healthcare providers and pharmaceutical manufacturers.
- Represented Martin Luther King, Jr. – Los Angeles Healthcare Corporation, a Los Angeles acute hospital, in the negotiation of significant healthcare information technology contracts, including its purchase and implementation of Cerner’s EHR platform.
- Advised an AI-powered and telehealth-enabled healthcare company focusing on untreated behavioral health and chronic conditions on all privacy and cybersecurity considerations, including GDPR, CCPA, HIPAA, and related state laws.
- Advised multiple healthcare providers on investigation and response to data breaches, including related state and federal inquiries.
- Advised start up diagnostic company on launch of AI-driven medical image software, including premarket regulatory strategies and submissions to FDA.
- Advised large software company on premarket and postmarket considerations for launch of digital health fitness products.
- D Magazine, 04.22.2022
- Modern Healthcare, 04.18.2022
- ABA Health eSource, 09.28.2022
- Part B News, 08.29.2022
- Part B News, 08.15.2022
- Law360, 06.01.2022
Sheppard Mullin's Cross-interdisciplinary Team
Finding Our Way Out of the Pandemic Haze: What Telehealth Tools Are Medicare Providers Allowed to Keep, and Which Must They Leave Behind?11.30.2022
FDA’s Proposed Rule on “Intended Use” Confirms Agency Will Rely on “Any Relevant Source” of Evidence10.01.2020
HHS Further Relaxes HIPAA Regulations Governing Use and Disclosure of Protected Health Information During the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency04.14.2020
Blockchain and Healthcare Innovation: A City, Academia, and Technology Firms Join Forces to find Blockchain Solutions to Address Public Health Challenges06.13.2019
The Synaptic Health Alliance: A Look at how Blockchain Technology Could Improve Provider Data Quality01.31.2019
- 04.22.2022D Magazine
- 04.18.2022Modern Healthcare
- Jeralin Cardoso
- John D. Carroll
- Steven J. Chananie
- Christine M. Clements
- Kevin M. Cloutier
- David L. Douglass
- Frank W. Dworak
- Jeffrey J. Fessler
- Allison Fulton
- Nioura F. Ghazni
- Denise E. Giraudo
- Shon E. Glusky
- Matthew J. Goldman
- Jordan E. Grushkin
- Justin J. Hepworth
- Taylor T. Holmes
- Julia K. Kadish
- Phil Kim
- Eric A. Klein
- Erica J. Kraus
- Alexander Lazar
- Lynsey Mitchel
- Farha Moiduddin
- Bevin M.B. Newman
- Kathleen M. O'Neill
- Michael D. Orlando
- Michael W. Paddock
- Kari M. Rollins
- Jesse A. Salen
- Sara Helene Shanti
- Michael D. Sutton
- Liisa M. Thomas
- John M. Tilton
- Danielle Vrabie
- Stephanie L. Zeppa