Dan Syed is an associate in the Labor and Employment Practice Group in the firm’s Dallas office.
Areas of Practice
Drawing on his experience from two federal clerkships, Dan represents and advises clients in a variety of complex matters with a focus on employment and appellate litigation. His experience includes employment discrimination, wage and hour, and trade secret lawsuits. He has also defended clients against Title VII and state equivalent Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) charges, as well as advised on and drafted employer handbooks and policies. Dan has led witness interviews and drafted successful dispositive motions in federal court. He has also authored numerous briefs on behalf of amicus curiae before the Fifth Circuit.
Dan maintains an active pro bono practice, including representing students with disabilities and several federal clemency petitioners through the Clemency Project. He drafted and filed numerous clemency applications, including one granted by President Obama.
Dan is also an adjunct faculty member at the SMU Dedman School of Law, where he teaches an employment law and advocacy class.
During law school, Dan worked at the Institute for Public Representation, where he represented deaf children seeking closed captioning in public schools, and assisted a nonprofit advocacy group apply for a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) radio license.
Ones to Watch — Litigation, Best Lawyers, 2022-2023
Labor and Employment Law Blog Posts
- "What Employers Need to Know in a Post-Dobbs Landscape," August 3, 2022
- "Ban the Box: Federal Government Adopts Fair Hiring Practice," January 25, 2022
- "New Texas Law Expands Employee Rights and Employer Liability for Sexual Harassment Claims," September 2, 2021
J.D., Georgetown University, 2015, cum laude, Notes Editor, American Criminal Law Review
B.A., The College of New Jersey, 2012, cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Varsity Football Team
- Law Clerk to Judge Catharina Haynes, U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit (2018-2019)
- Law Clerk to Chief Judge Barbara M. G. Lynn, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas (2016-2017)
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit