- Brian Anderson
- Ethan Aronson
- Nicole Bagood
- Greg Berk
- Shaun Clark
- Kelly Crabb
- Sidney Fohrman
- James Gatto
- Jordan Hamburger
- Ori Katz
- Richard Kopenhefer
- Daniel Masakayan
- Eric Newsom
- Samuel O'Brien
- Yasamin Parsafar
- Genevieve Perez
- Dylan Price
- Daniel Schnapp
- Jonathan Stoler
- Carlo Van den Bosch
- Kelly Vazhappilly
- Stephanie Zeppa
Esports has become a global phenomenon, and it is estimated that by 2019, 427 million people worldwide will be watching some form of esports. The increasing availability of online streaming media platforms has led to the growth and promotion of esports competitions and now most game developers are actively designing games for the professional esports subculture. As esports continues to experience booming growth, the number and complexity of legal issues will increase, as will the need for reliable legal representation.
Our esports team provides legal services to all segments of the esports industry. We represent players, product providers, influencers, content creators, media companies, marketing companies, tournament providers and investors in a variety of matters.
We understand that the global and competitive nature of esports, combined with its increasingly strong internet presence, requires a multi-disciplined approach to all such legal matters. This is equally true when drafting contracts, negotiating an important deal, counseling a client, securing an investment, or pursuing other legal action. Importantly, we also understand the many rules involved with esports competitions and their participating players and organizations. We help our clients achieve their goals, navigate challenges and proactively identify opportunities as the esports industry continues to expand.
Our experience enables us to advise clients on issues such as:
- Intellectual property protection including licensing, copyrights, trademark registration, and patents
- Esports gambling
- Advertising, promotions and sponsorships
- Labor, employment, and the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Merchandise manufacturing and agreements
- Acquisition and leasing of sports facilities
- Public financing and zoning compliance for esports facilities
- Compliance with FTC endorsement and influencer guidelines
- Communications, media rights, and broadcasting
- E-commerce and internet law
- Compliance with privacy and data security regulations and data breach response
- Cross-border transactions
- International dispute resolution
- Activision Publishing Inc.
- Activison Blizzard, Inc.
- Aftershock Services, Inc.
- ArenaNet, LLC
- CD Projekt S.A.
- Dick Gross & ReKTGlobal
- EFANTZ, LLC
- Entertainment Software Association
- G2A.COM Limited
- GamersOnline, Inc.
- Gamigo AG
- General Workings, Inc (DBA VULCUN)
- Giga Entertainment, Inc.
- Gradient Labs, LLC
- Hidden Path Entertainment, Inc.
- IGN Entertainment,
- Kabam, Inc.
- Little Arms Studios, LLC
- Lucid Sight
- Matt Haag
- Mobcrush, Inc.
- MWE Live, LLC
- Namco Bandai Games America, Inc.
- NC Interactive, LLC
- Newgioco Group, Inc.
- nickeleres LLC
- Pixelmage Games LLC
- Rivalries Unlimited LLC
- Seismic Games, Inc.
- Represented world-renowned e-sports athlete and influencer, Matt Haag (Nadeshot), in the formation of 100 Thieves e-sports company in partnership with Dan Gilbert and the Cleveland Cavaliers
- Represented entrepreneur and philanthropist Nick Gross as the lead investor of ReKTGlobal’s $10.8M Series A round, the funds from which will be used, among other things, to finance Rogue’s franchise participation in the League of Legends European Championship
- Represented Facebook Technologies f/k/a Oculus to handle the legal work in connection with the promotional campaign for the new Oculus Go VR Headset.
- Advised Gamigo AG and performed due diligence related to the potential acquisition of a gaming company
- Represented Wargaming Group Limited in an inter partes review before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board and other general intellectual property matters
- Advised Newgioco with regard to registering with NASDAQ
- Advised G2A.com with regard to a domain name purchase agreement
- Advised Aftershock with regard to filing patent applications
- Advised EFANTZ, LLC with regard to virtual currencies
- Advised the Entertainment Software Association with regard to ongoing legislation, loot boxes, fantasy sports, and esports
- Represented Pixelmage Games in a trademark dispute
- Represented MWE Live in a Master Services Agreement and intellectual property matters
- Represented Activision Publishing in a patent prosecution matter
- Represented Seismic Games, developer of mobile games including "Marvel Strike Force," and "Blade Runner: Revelations," in its acquisition by Niantic, the creator of Pokémon Go
- Advised Fox Mobile in regard to mobile subscription and loyalty programs