- J.D., University of Chicago, 2000, Honors
- B.A., Michigan State University, 1993, Honors
- New York
Howard Norber is special counsel in the Corporate Practice Group in the firm's Chicago office.
Areas of Practice
Howard is an accomplished corporate and transactional attorney with extensive in-house experience supporting all aspects of complex, publicly traded companies, including strategic transactional analysis and planning, corporate governance, sales and corporate development, securities and regulatory compliance and litigation management. He has in-depth experience representing private equity firms and manufacturing and service companies in complex business transactions, including acquisitions, leveraged buyouts, recapitalizations and divestitures, requiring the delivery of legal and business advisory services in multiple international jurisdictions.
- Managed all aspects of tender offer for publicly traded shares of a $400 million manufacturing firm in India.
- Assisted Tenneco in consolidation of manufacturing plants and related negotiation of municipal incentives.
- Served as the senior corporate partner in a successful $1.2 billion equity raise for a tier-one auto parts supplier in connection with its Chapter 11 restructuring.
- Advised senior management in connection with unsolicited takeover proposal, ensuing strategic alternatives planning and resulting sale of preferred equity to investment vehicle owned by private equity funds and company’s largest client, together with negotiation of new long-term complex commercial agreement with same client.
- Assisted and oversaw all legal aspects of a company’s nearly two-year process of adopting new accounting standards and restating its financial statements, including related public disclosures.
- Advised senior management and board of directors in connection with de-listing of a company’s common stock from NYSE and the company’s subsequent listing of common stock for trading on NASDAQ.
- Assisted General Counsel and Chairman of the Board in comprehensive revisions to composition of board of directors, resulting in expansion of board and changes to more than 50% of board membership.
- Advised board of directors in connection with multiple executive officer transitions, including negotiation of complex executive management employment and equity incentive agreements.
- Representation of a tier-one auto parts manufacturer in the sale of poorly performing domestic and international assets directly to its OEM clients.
- Assisted a private equity client to build a regional petroleum distribution company into a major international platform through nine successive acquisitions.
- Represented a petroleum distribution company in a $300 million equity restructuring.
- Advised a private equity holding company of ‘for-profit’ colleges in divestiture of underperforming schools through sales to seven separate purchasers.