- J.D., University of Southern California, 2014, Order of the Coif, Senior Submissions Editor, Southern California Law Review; Legal Writing Fellow
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 2009, cum laude
- Judicial Clerk to the Honorable John A. Kronstadt, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- Extern to the Honorable Philip S. Gutierrez, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
Julie Bauman is an associate in the Government Contracts, Investigations & International Trade Practice Group in the firm's San Diego office.
Areas of Practice
Julie’s practice includes representing corporations and individuals in government investigations, government enforcement actions, internal investigations, and white collar criminal investigations and litigation. She has advised clients regarding anti-corruption matters including FCPA defense, compliance, and due diligence. Julie also has experience representing corporations and public entities in high stakes litigation including False Claims Act cases, tort and contract disputes, fraud claims, and class actions.
Prior to joining Sheppard Mullin, Julie served as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable John A. Kronstadt, a federal district court judge for the Central District of California. In law school, Julie externed for the Criminal Division of the United States Attorney’s Office as well as the Honorable Philip S. Gutierrez of the Central District of California. She was a Senior Submissions Editor of the University of Southern California Law Review and a Legal Writing Fellow. Prior to law school, Julie was a management consultant for a top management consulting firm, advising a Defense Department acquisition program.
"Criminal Liablity," Cloud Computing Legal Deskbook, 2016 Edition
"Feature Comment: Right on the Bullseye? Fourth Circuit Takes Its Shot at Applying Escobar’s Materiality Standard After Scotus Sends Iraqi Security Guard Case Back for Further Consideration," The Government Contractor, Vol. 59, No. 21, June 7, 2017
False Claims Act Defense Blog Posts
- "Straight Shooter: The Fourth Circuit Stands By Its Earlier Decision In Case About Iraqi Security Guards Whose Inability To Shoot Straight Gave Rise to FCA Liability," May 17, 2017
- "Fifth Circuit: No Anti-Kickback Violation When Defendant Merely Hopes or Expects Referrals from Benefits Designed for Other Purposes," November 18, 2016
Government Contracts, Investigations & International Trade Blog Posts
- "SEC Enforcement’s Annual Report Prioritizes Retail Investors, Cryptocurrency, Cybercrime, and Individual Accountability," November 28, 2018
- "Supreme Court Deals Blow to SEC By Applying Five-Year Statute of Limitations to Disgorgement Remedies in SEC Enforcement Actions," June 28, 2017
- "FINRA Updates Its Sanction Guidelines," April 26, 2017
- "Embraer’s FCPA Deferred Prosecution Agreement and $205 Million Payment Demonstrate Need for Adequate Internal Controls," November 30, 2016
- "Ninth Circuit Severely Limits “Rogue Employee” Exception for Corporations in Securities Fraud Cases," November 23, 2015