- J.D., Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, cum laude
- B.S., Ouachita Baptist University, 1995
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
Jason Mueller is a partner in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's Dallas Office.
Mr. Mueller has tried numerous intellectual property cases to a verdict, including jury trials covering copyrights, trademarks, patents and trade secrets. In doing so he has represented some of the world’s leading entertainment, energy, healthcare and building products companies.
Jason is dedicated to providing responsive and practical advice and counsel to his clients on intellectual property and advertising issues. Beyond the courtroom, Jason has represented clients before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and the Trademark Trial and Appeals Board, defending claims or investigations initiated by the Federal Trade Commission, The Texas Attorney General’s Office, the New York Attorney General’s Office, the Marin County and Stanislaus County (California) Attorneys General.
As lead trial counsel in recent jury cases, Jason has demonstrated leadership and poise in the courtroom resulting in favorable verdicts.
Mr. Mueller’s courtroom perspective provides a practical background for his advisory and prosecution practice. As an intellectual property specialist, he helps clients develop strategies for the protection of intellectual property rights including strategic counseling on trademark portfolio management, prosecution, and oppositions and cancellation actions before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board .
Jason has substantial experience handling all aspects of advertising and marketing law, including sweepstakes, contests, raffles and other promotions. He has performed regulatory compliance reviews and developed and instituted compliance programs to manage risk related to advertising, social media initiatives, and content management and acquisition. His team reviews national print, radio and television advertising campaigns, and issues opinions relating to the adequacy of claim substantiation. The advertising review team has experience serving as primary, overflow or escalation counsel for the review of advertisements.
- BTI Client Service All-Star, Intellectual Property, 2016
- Texas Rising Star, Texas Monthly Magazine, 2010, 2012, 2015
- 2000, Honorable Discharge, U.S. Army, Infantry NCO
- Website technology patent owner – obtained complete jury verdict on issues of infringement and validity in Judge Gilstrap’s court (Eastern District of Texas)
- Silicon Valley Startup – obtained dismissal of core copyright claim brought by craigslist relating to copies of user generated content in Northern District of California
- Public downstream energy company – lead trial counsel defending copyright infringement claims in Northern District of Texas
- Large accessory products company – lead trial counsel defending trademark infringement matter in Southern District of Texas
- Major Hedge Fund – lead trial counsel defending against claims of copyright infringement, and Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) claim in Southern District of Texas
- Energy operations company – lead trial counsel defending copyright infringement claims in Southern District of Texas
- Consulting and engineering services firm – lead trial counsel defending copyright claims in the Northern District of Texas
- Construction company – defend claims of copyright infringement in architectural plans in the Northern District of Texas
- Various entities related to The Walt Disney Company – defend various claims of copyright and trademark infringement in the Northern, Eastern, and Southern Districts of Texas
- Entertainment services company – defend claims alleging misappropriation of celebrity’s right of publicity
- Major Airline – provide advice and counsel regarding advertising claim formulation and analysis of substantiation
- Leading retailer – manage trademark enforcement and disputes
- Leading online dating services provider – provide advice and counsel on trademark, copyright and advertising matters
- Several leading insurance providers – provide advice and counsel on the advertising and marketing claims for services and products related to P&C, Life, Health and related lines
- National advertising agency – matters involving national marketing campaigns including pre-clearance and substantiation review
- Large national media company – trademark litigation matter involving a major newspaper
- Major national clothing retailer – routinely provide regulatory compliance counsel on matters of federal and state laws governing advertising, pricing and promotions
- International real estate developer – advice on acquisition of substantial domain name portfolio
- Medical device manufacturer – represented it in its false advertising and patent infringement claims against its primary competitor
- Medical device manufacturer – enforced trade secret and patent claims against foreign competitor.
- Leading architectural firm – managed copyright portfolio registration and strategy
- Architectural and development company – asserted copyright claims against infringer
- Major production studio – defended multiple intellectual property lawsuits alleging copyright, trademark and related claims
- Energy services company – managed client review and purchase of IP asset portfolio that included patents and pending applications, software and underlying copyrights, trademarks, and trade secrets
- Major airline – managed trademark globalization process involving the worldwide expansion of client's most strategic trademarks
- Major national sporting goods retailer – routinely provide advice and counsel on IP sweepstakes, contests, and general advertising matters
- Represented entrepreneurs and start-ups by providing advice and counsel regarding protection of intellectual property, business structuring and general business issues. Examples include Terra's Dancewear; Breastaurant Uniforms; Opposite, Inc.; AI Intellectual Property; Fat Boy Labs; and Utility Concierge, 3 taps, live lovely, MOBI, and others.
- Developed and drafted official rules for scores of sweepstakes, contests and premium promotional marketing campaigns involving complex arrays of entry methods, user generated submissions, post-promotion media blitz coverage and many other legal challenges
- Offering Promotions For Facebook LikesLaw360, December 23, 2011
- The Deal, April 20, 2018
- World Intellectual Property Review, April 17, 2018
- World Trademark Review, April 17, 2018
- Law360, April 16, 2018
- The Texas Lawbook, April 16, 2018
- Texas Lawyer, April 16, 2018
- 5 tips for Crafting Ads that Pass FTC MusterLaw360, August 23, 2013
- Craigslist's Claims Trimmed in Real Estate Listings RowLaw320, April 30, 2013
- Hostess Brands Look Appetizing to Rivals, PE FirmsLaw 360, November 16, 2012
- 3Taps Lodges Antitrust Claims in Craigslist Copyright RowLaw360, September 25, 2012
- Speaker, "Mine, Yours and Theirs: IP Concerns for Event and Trade Show Organizers," Expo! Expo! IAEE's Annual Meeting & Exhibition, December 13, 2018
- Speaker, “Retail Prize Promotions: How to Run Successful (and Legal!) Contests, Sweepstakes, and Giveaways,” RILA Retail Law Conference, October 11, 2018
- Speaker, “Protecting and Enforcing Your Brand in the Intellectual Property Domain Name and App Arenas,” The 2017 ANA/BAA 39th Marketing Law Conference, November 13-15, 2017
- Speaker, "Enforcing Trademarks & Protecting Your Brand," The 2016 ANA/BAA 38th Marketing Law Conference, November 9-11, 2016
- Member, Texas Bar Association
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Member, College of the State Bar of Texas
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Qualtrust Credit Union
- Former Member, Steering Committee, Texas Minority Counsel Program (TMCP)